RCMP Costs

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: RCMP Costs

Post by Donald G »

To twobits and Static ...

Not sure if this will answer any of your questions but it is a start. I have not yet read any of the newest contracts;

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/policeservice ... /index.htm

(So I guess I should not be commenting should I ?)
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To twobits and Static ...

Upon scanning through the Municipal Contract I got lucky;

11.6 For purposes of determining costs pursuant to this article, any Member who is on:
a) sick leave or suspended for more than 30 consecutive days;
b) parental leave; or
c) pension retirement leave

is placed on an RCMP (cost) collator code and the City pays nothing for that officer or member.

That would seem to me to be an actual dollar saving to the City while the "position" remains vacant.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Donald G wrote:To twobits and Static ...

Upon scanning through the Municipal Contract I got lucky;

11.6 For purposes of determining costs pursuant to this article, any Member who is on:
a) sick leave or suspended for more than 30 consecutive days;
b) parental leave; or
c) pension retirement leave

is placed on an RCMP (cost) collator code and the City pays nothing for that officer or member.

That would seem to me to be an actual dollar saving to the City while the "position" remains vacant.

Sounds like you could be right Donald. Perhaps the comments from the Kelowna Inspector might have been reflecting the fact that he could not replace the officers until they received the RCMP's version of due process. Nevertheless, it still leaves a community short some bodies for a ridiculous amount of time.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To twobits ...

The Detacment Commander has two options;

1. Pay an officer who is on his/her day off to work overtime to fill the position,

2. Increase the work load of those remaining on the shift to have them complete the work that would have been carried by the "unavailable" officer.

The second "poor management" way of thinking can cause severe longer term mental and physical health problems if carried to extremes, which it frequently used to be. Not sure if members are still expected to work short handed and carry the extra load as a matter of routine.

The same effect can be caused by a Municipality NOT being willing to contract for an adequate number of police officers. Which causes the shifts to work constantly short.

RCMP Management used to refer to such wide spread shortages in Provincially funded detachments as "Acceptable Shortages". Acceptable to who ?? RCMP management who was NOT constantly required to carry the extra load I would say.
Last edited by Donald G on Jan 30th, 2015, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Donald G wrote:To twobits ...

The Detacment Commander has to options;

1. Pay an officer who is on his/her day off to work overtime to fill the position,

2. Increase the work load of those remaining on the shift to have them complete the work that would have been carried by the "unavailable" officer.

The second "poor management" way of thinking can cause severe longer term mental and physical health problems if carried to extremes, which it frequently used to be. Not sure if members are still expected to work short handed and carry the extra load as a matter of routine.

The same effect can be caused by a Municipality NOT being willing to contract for an adequate number of police officers. Which causes the shifts to work constantly short.

RCMP Management used to refer to such wide spread shortages in Provincially funded detachments as "Acceptable Shortages". Acceptable to who ?? RCMP management who was NOT constantly required to carry the extra load I would say.

And do any of those options seem good to you Donald, or is there some serious need for tweaking in the interest of the taxpayer paying those salaries. Tired and burnt out....soon to be disenfranchised because nothing is changing? Or does the RCMP develop a policy that actually works for the communities they serve? Cuz quite frankly right now the optics are a self serving bureaucracy protecting their own at the expense of the very public they are supposed to be serving.

ETA- And even you should realize that paying an available member overtime to cover the suspended member, only covers half of a body at double time. The taxpayer still gets it up the butt for what they are paying for. And from what history has shown us.....for years per incidence. A simple impaired charge with appeals drags out to 4 or 5 years before the member actually gets cut off of salary. Accumulating pension to boot! Enough already!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To twobits ...

There is no "magic" answer. Or if you know of a way to overcome the problem without resorting to one of the two ways of dealing with the vacancy I, for one, would love to hear it. All police forces have the same problems but some are better resourced to deal with it. At the higher ongoing cost of having a much lower complaint case load by having more officers per population and two officers to a car ... such as most other Municipal and Provincial Police Forces across Canada have.

The bottom line is that any given area has to decide how much they can afford for policing and the RCMP have to decide how best to use the manpower and resources provided. Kelowna has had a notably high complaint case load fr years now. One could argue that they have been getting much more than they have and are paying for

But IMO their "scraping by" has been at considerable cost to the mental and physical well being of the RCMP officers involved.

The fact that the dedicated and fully qualified members must also carry the load for the politically correct "officers" who can not handle the full range of duties simply increases the scope of the problem.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 8th, 2015, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: use the report button if you feel a thread needs to be moved.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

i'm very sorry! i jumped the gun on my grouch-a-thon. i didn't realize that you had been helping. sorry!
Last edited by Anonymous123 on Feb 9th, 2015, 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

The RCMP employed by citys as the main police force are very poorly managed especially financially
in many ways/.The biggest waste I see is idle man hours(AKA cops FTD) I have seen this too many times.
ridiculous long unneeded so called coffee breaks, Sick days when not sick. too much unused equipment
etc etc
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Ok. I tried the ! on a post but could not find the correct category.

Return to “North Okanagan”