Cat control and licences in Vernon

NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Cat control and licences in Vernon

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

dg3 wrote:the spca on haney rd which is not in vernon, so why are our city staff giving them an ear? this is just a cash grab

This is a classic example of why cats should be kept indoors - and licensed.
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-131777-101-.htm#131777

If it is a cash grab to spay, neuter and treat animals in the SPCA care (Horses in Armstrong is another recent example).
Then increase the fees above what has been suggested earlier.

I don't agree with outdoor cats (stating the obvious) but do not agree with this type of injury to any animals.

Side note - I thought leg hold traps were banned in this country?
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
CrazyKid

Post by CrazyKid »

I own 2 dogs and 2 cats. I understand people's frustration about how cats can poop in your garden, sit on your lawn chairs, etc. Totally understand. However, the difference between my dogs and my cats, is that my cat can climb, is hard to catch, and could care less if I am calling it with a bag of treats. I do not typically allow my cats outside. On a nice, summers day on a weekend, I might let them out as its nice to have the door open and they mostly just sun bathe anyways. Our neighbourhood is also very cat friendly and our neighbours have been known to pick up and cuddle our cats. They don't seem to have a problem with them. We also have a very quiet street so the likelyhood of them being hit by a car is very low. I love my cats and I wish no harm to them. In fact, they usually sleep on my pillow every night. Even when I do let them outside I sit and worry, although they love it and are never too far away.

But for example, last night. I was calling my dog in since he had to pee at 1am and he was on his way towards the door. I open the door to let him in and OOPS there goes my cat. He was waiting underneath the table for the perfect chance and hes out the door, down the stairs, and off into the darkness. Now, what am I supposed to do? I could sit out there yelling and calling for him, although I am pretty sure my neighbours would be more upset about that then a cat in their yard. He does not wear a collar because it is dangerous for cats. They are up in a tree, in a bush, etc and they can hang themselves. Also, it can slow them down if they do meet a coyote and try to run away (by getting caught in a bush). So what are the solutions for this? If it were my dog I would call them back in since I have a fenced yard... cat fences are very few and far between and usually dont even work.

I ended up going to bed and waking up in 4 hours, he was at the door waiting to come in. He had his fun for the night. But with this licensing, what is the solution for this? If you find a solution, I will be allllll for it. Maybe a license that is attached to his tattoo number? Then thats 2 ways of using the tattoo... Just a thought.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

CrazyKid:

You sound like a responsible pet owner - not the irresponsible pet owner that the license proposal is all about.
You work at keeping your cats away from bothering the neighbours (most of the time).

It is the people that get cats - put them on the porch like a dog and allow them to wander the neighbourhood and destroy other peoples yards.
Your dogs have tags and shots and do not run into the street and bite kids walking along the roadway.
Cats are no different - the tags/license/tattoo is there for protection. A licensed cat will have had shots and be spayed or neutered and has less chance of spreading disease and killing song birds...

As I have stated before - cats are no different than dogs and need to be controlled in an urban setting.
In a rural farm setting all bets are off, but I think even in the rural areas - dogs are normally licensed.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Auto1
Board Meister

Post by Auto1 »

I really like that idea!!! Connect everything to the tattoo! And because the City or Municipality doesn't have to issue a licence, pass the savings onto the cat owner. Again, the tattoo would verify if the cat is altered (fixed), and would have the home address and name of owner connected.

The scenario you described can and does happen, I am sure. (My cats are chicken, and don't usually take the liberty.). I do think there is a 'cash grab' mentality here, somewhat. It seems like a make-work project to me, and I don't have a lot of interest in it.

I also don't want to pay $40 a year or whatever to 'own' cats, whom get litter changes every day, new litter (a box per cat pan) every week, premium cat food, wet and dry, treats, and TOYS (you would not believe the TOYS), as well as 4 cat houses... And vet visits, etc.

I would rather spend the money ON the cat, then pay to have the cat. But it just takes once of the cat being returned to pay for the program. And I would be willing to pay quite a lot to get my cat back. I just wish it was a choice rather than a demand (licence).
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

i would rather see people have license their pet trees, its a lot work picking up their droppings thoughout the year. please keep your pet trees indoors,
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

dg3 wrote:the spca on haney rd which is not in vernon, so why are our city staff giving them an ear? this is just a cash grab

Exactly, plus the fact that the organization that totes itself as a society for prevention and cruelty now wants to put a noose around an animals neck!
Brilliant ... cats are not like dogs, they climb trees and other things and can and do fall.... a collar is a deadly weapon and they kill cats...

Notice no one on here is standing up for dog owners who have indoor dogs....

Besides, any form of enforcement means bylaw enforcement and that means you, the taxpayer, could be paying for an enforcement officer to go out and find a cat (which is probably known to the disgruntled person calling in the complaint) rather than spending time on more advantageous enforcement that protects all of the community. and we know that bylaw enforcement is few and far between for more serious matters.

This is a joke, plain and simple and has ZERO merit.

If you are upset then contact the owner and request they repair damage, help train the cat to walk the other way, or whatever ... but licensing cats.... right, well then I want them to license all the budgies and gerbils as well...
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'm not a fan of collars for cats unless you're taking them for a walk. Too many people don't know how to make sure the collar fits their pet right.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “North Okanagan”