Mudslide closes highway 97A ... not a big deal

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Mudslide closes highway 97A ... not a big deal

Post by GordonH »

Dizzy1 wrote:Wow, did you ever miss it LOL ;)

Read the OP - we wasn't talking about local residents trying to get home :)

And for the record, local residents are just as daft behind the wheel when it comes to instructions.

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

GordonH wrote:Via google street-view this is area of the mudslide based of the picture on Castanet:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Mara+L ... da3fd6d80b

It's interesting if you look at the left side of the house in that streetview, it appears as though they were doing some excavating on the hillside right behind the house. I wonder if that contributed to the slide.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Catri wrote:It's interesting if you look at the left side of the house in that streetview, it appears as though they were doing some excavating on the hillside right behind the house. I wonder if that contributed to the slide.

Image captured by google was taking in 2012
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Thankfully no one has been hurt!

Hwy 1 was well marked that 97A was closed due to the slide. Locals are aware of how to get around this one but the area is prone to this type of event and although you may get past the 97A event you can just as easily be stopped outside of Revelstoke shortly after for anything from an accident to avalanche control.

You can get from Sicamous to Enderby down 97A in about 15 min. You can drive from Enderby to Hwy 1 down 97B in 10 min. But it is still 20 min from the intersection of 97B to the intersection of 97A and that is only if there are no problems, slower than life semis, or commuter traffic....

It is winter and things are starting to melt down low but still lots of white stuff up above. Best to check drivebc before going on a trip or just taking a drive for the next little while!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

even though it might be the same distance...if its a slower route...like if the road is windy or narrow then speed will have to be slow and then increasing time. just saying.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

Just wondering why this isn't in the North Okanagan topic index instead of in Central Okanagan? Is it just so the Kelownites can rip the Mudslide story apart and make fun of an incident probably not affecting them? It's not until the 2nd page of the forum that we start hearing more about the what is happening. Thanks for the compassion Kelowna.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

LOL it is a blip for them, a minor inconvenience in their planned outing!
They do not see the tragedy of someone loosing their home, in the middle of the night, while they slept feet from the devastation!
They worry whether it will take them an extra 30 minutes or hour to travel in the winter, on mountainous terrain. Really!
They do not see how this incident blocks, and at best inconveniences, not a tourist but a community of people.
They think about themselves! They are the "me" gen!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

wanderer wrote:Just wondering why this isn't in the North Okanagan topic index instead of in Central Okanagan?

No one reads the "North Okanagan" section. I've found that if it is posted here the topic gets more comments. I suppose it could have also gone in the "regional" section. I almost put it there too, but then realized that pretty much people from Kelowna are the only ones that like to go to Calgary. People in Vernon and the North Okanagan would rather go to Vancouver.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Glacier wrote:No one reads the "North Okanagan" section. I've found that if it is posted here the topic gets more comments. I suppose it could have also gone in the "regional" section. I almost put it there too, but then realized that pretty much people from Kelowna are the only ones that like to go to Calgary. People in Vernon and the North Okanagan would rather go to Vancouver.

No one cares about the North,,, LONG LIVE THE SOUTH !!!!!
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

LOL really? Vernon and north tied to Vancouver ROFL
Better check the real estate sales a little closer, especially the soon to be sales from all them Albertans that are seeing their little bubble deflate ....
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

omisimaw wrote:LOL really?

Yes, really. Plus, the section is North & South, not North or South. Therefore, it makes no sense to put a topic in that section unless it relates to both the north and south. If it belongs anywhere it should be the Regional (BC) section because that's where the news article was posted by Castanet.

ETA: Ah, I just noticed that this thread is actually in the North & South section so not sure where this weird discussion about it being the Kelowna section came from. I should have calculated the driving distance from Penticton or Vernon. Either way, it's not much different to go through Slammin' Arm.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

actually it is. the drive from SA to the border is gathering quite the little reputation of not being driver friendly.

but then those in the south usually go thru the Crow to get to AB...

LOL, again check the real estate sales and commentary about the influx of Albertans to the N OK!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*sorry for the confusion. (sort of...lol) i moved this thread. :D
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Penticton to Calgary:

Via Crowsnest near 11 Hrs
Via Trans-Canada just under 8 Hrs
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

8 hrs on a straight run good day maybe

in winter it is a total other story and can lead to hours if not days ... just ask anyone who misses the avalanche control (a known event) deadline!

and that does not even come close to the shut downs due to accidents!

Return to “North Okanagan”