Pets off-leash at Kalamalka Lake Provincial Park

jjones007

Pets off-leash at Kalamalka Lake Provincial Park

Post by jjones007 »

For the past 4 weekends, my family and I have been hiking thru Kalamalka Lake Provincial park enjoying the spring like weather. During our hikes more than 90% of the pets we encountered were off-leach, both on trails and on the people only section of Corsen’s bay beach.
Our 4 year old daughter is very afraid of dogs, since she's been attacked twice. This has proved to be very distressing to my daughter as the pets that are off-leash running up to her and has reduced the enjoy ability of our outings, with us having to pick her up or shield her from these dogs.
It is clearly stated on the BC Parks website http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... amalka_lk/
, that pets are to be on-leach at all times except for the 2 designated areas.
I feel that there is not enough signage to remind pet owners that their pets are required to be on-leach at all times in the park and can only be off-leach at the 2 designated pet-friendly beach areas.
I would like to remind pet owners that they are responsible for knowing and abiding the rules when they have their pets with them, keep them on-leach, clean up after them. Because when they decide to be the animals that there are and they injure someone because of your negligence, there will be financial and emotional repercussions.
Palliser
Fledgling

Re: Pets off-leach at Kalamalka Lake Provincial Park

Post by Palliser »

Signage wont matter...these people know they arent allowed to have dogs of leash. The type of person who does this does it every chance they get and have been told many time by others to put their pets on a leash but they don't care. They think their pet is so special and deserves to not have a leash so they break the rules cuz it doesnt apply to them.

A certain percentage of people are just self-absorbed narcissists.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Palliser wrote:Signage wont matter...these people know they arent allowed to have dogs of leash. The type of person who does this does it every chance they get and have been told many time by others to put their pets on a leash but they don't care. They think their pet is so special and deserves to not have a leash so they break the rules cuz it doesnt apply to them.

A certain percentage of people are just self-absorbed narcissists.

sad but true.Its always that's not my dog as my dog is obeadiant and friendly and therefore poses no danger and therefore the leash rule does not apply to me

self absorption can also become a disease of the mind, when people with low self esteem get so wrapped up in themselves that they become oblivious to the needs of the people around them. The result is that they can be unable to put themselves in another’s shoes, to even imagine the effect that their needs and demands place on others. -
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Re: Pets off-leash at Kalamalka Lake Provincial Park

Post by Anonymous123 »

Buy some dog repellant spray. When the free running dog runs up to your child spray the dog. If the owner gets belligerent and comes at you, let them have it as well.
Last edited by Anonymous123 on Mar 5th, 2015, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Law should be changed....

"When safe to do so and not in harm of people, Conservation officers allowed to shoot to kill domesticated animals as they are not wildlife and can endanger wildlife and habitat in any provincial and Federal Parkland"

Blow away a few fifi and fidos and people will get the picture.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Symbonite wrote:Law should be changed....

"When safe to do so and not in harm of people, Conservation officers allowed to shoot to kill domesticated animals as they are not wildlife and can endanger wildlife and habitat in any provincial and Federal Parkland"

Blow away a few fifi and fidos and people will get the picture.

I say shoot the Dumb *bleep* owner its not the dogs fault here at all.its ignorant dumb *bleep* dog owners
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

My bet is a lot of the same people drive in the left lane, speed, tailgate, ride their bikes two or more abreast impeding traffic etc., etc.. They are all ignorant dumb *bleep*'s.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Smurf wrote:My bet is a lot of the same people drive in the left lane, speed, tailgate, ride their bikes two or more abreast impeding traffic etc., etc.. They are all ignorant dumb *bleep*'s.

I tailgate but only if your in the left lane impeding traffic
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

And that makes it right?????????????????????
Do You do it if the person is travelling the speed limit?
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Smurf wrote:And that makes it right?????????????????????

you bet I do and that's why there bringing back the old law that stated "slower traffic keep right"
Last edited by wanderingman on Mar 5th, 2015, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Just wanted to know if you are a speeder also which you are since that is the only way you could catch up. That tells the whole story doesn't it.

Better get back on topic.

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Smurf wrote:And that makes it right?????????????????????

wanderingman wrote:you bet I do and that's why there bringing back the old law that stated "slower traffic keep left"

Left?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Is there a keep left at the park?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Only if you're off leash.

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

We keep our dogs to the right ... more fun stuff for them too explore. But they are always on a leash in Kal Park ... albeit a long leash so they have a chance to explore and gives me the control to reel them in when I need to.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “North Okanagan”