Penticton "insert this year's name" triathlon

Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Penticton "insert this year's name" triathlon

Post by Symbonite »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... p#comments

Love how they are have Jeff Symonds to try to hype a subpar triathlon..but first Congrats to Jeff on winning the IRONMAN in Melbourne.

Interesting they didnt mention which "long distance" triathlon that he did win.

What a joke, whoever pulled the trigger or even suggested in saying that Penticton doesnt need the Ironman should look at what has happened in the last few years without ironman around. I hope anyone meeting up with him always get the ironman subject going. I bet he really likes that. lol.

No matter what they do to this "insert this years name" triathlon, it will always be like some fundraiser fun run type of vibe to it.

what they maybe should do is that they throw mud in the course while zombies trying to run after them with flags on the hips while everytime they go by a waterstation they get a whole wack load of different powdered color thrown at them.

http://muddsweatandtears.com/

http://www.the5kzombierun.com/ or http://www.thezombiemudrun.com/ or just take your pick to google

http://ca.thecolorrun.com/kelowna/
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
wanderingchef
Fledgling

Re: Penticton "insert this year's name" triathlon

Post by wanderingchef »

Nice to see no has fallen for your attempt to be negative for no reason. Try being a little more supportive of change..........Nothing stays the same, not for a year a month or a minute.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

But you did reply..and I wasnt asking for a reply...I was just stating my opinion on whats happening.

Didnt ask for a response did I?

But I am supportive of change if its a change for the better.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

The local triathlon has become more of a sideshow and less of an event. I'm glad it doesn't clog up the roadways as much anymore.
alishaklassen

Post by alishaklassen »

Symbonite wrote:But you did reply..and I wasnt asking for a reply...I was just stating my opinion on whats happening.

Didnt ask for a response did I?

Heh heh I am slightly amused you think you can post your opinion in a forum here and not get a response whether you ask for it or not, that makes me giggle. With over 2000 posts to your name you know better than that by now;-)

As for the triathlon here's hoping they find something that works. Tough Mudder has something cool going. I have enjoyed that race a couple times and colour runs are fun to watch but I agree that the Ironman was a pretty big deal and I wish it was still in Penticton or that Kelowna had been successful in its bid.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*stay on topic please!*
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

Symbonite wrote:What a joke, whoever pulled the trigger or even suggested in saying that Penticton doesnt need the Ironman should look at what has happened in the last few years without ironman around.
Your post echoes what I've stated from Day 1. City Hall did not act in Penticton's best interest.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Menar Fromarz

Post by Menar Fromarz »

Here is a suggestion: Get involved in the race, in some form, and I think you would be pumped. As a competitor, and a local, I personally LOVE the change, as we ( wife and I ), who NEVER could be competitive enough to be one of the elites that tour the Ironman circuit, had a blast training, and coppering with friends, neighbours and others from all over. To ride the bike race and see the support that others exhibit, and the level of dedication and such from the volunteers, was AWESOME. And yes, we are pumped to do it again this year. All I hope is downbeat folks such as you somehow find the joy in it, and become supporters of the change, instead of being a Debbie Downer. You had your two cents in, thats mine.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Menar Fromarz wrote:Here is a suggestion: Get involved in the race, in some form, and I think you would be pumped. As a competitor, and a local, I personally LOVE the change, as we ( wife and I ), who NEVER could be competitive enough to be one of the elites that tour the Ironman circuit, had a blast training, and coppering with friends, neighbours and others from all over. To ride the bike race and see the support that others exhibit, and the level of dedication and such from the volunteers, was AWESOME. And yes, we are pumped to do it again this year. All I hope is downbeat folks such as you somehow find the joy in it, and become supporters of the change, instead of being a Debbie Downer. You had your two cents in, thats mine.

Nice to see local money injected into the local economy. Do you stay in a hotel/motel/ B&B on race week? Do you eat in Local restaurants on race week? Do you buy extras( souvenirs etc. ) on race week?
Just sayin'.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

Menar Fromarz wrote:Here is a suggestion: Get involved in the race, in some form, and I think you would be pumped. As a competitor, and a local, I personally LOVE the change, as we ( wife and I ), who NEVER could be competitive enough to be one of the elites that tour the Ironman circuit, had a blast training, and coppering with friends, neighbours and others from all over. To ride the bike race and see the support that others exhibit, and the level of dedication and such from the volunteers, was AWESOME. And yes, we are pumped to do it again this year. All I hope is downbeat folks such as you somehow find the joy in it, and become supporters of the change, instead of being a Debbie Downer. You had your two cents in, thats mine.

Im glad you're having a good time, why am I needing to pay for it? how do I benefit from this again?
city of Penticton traded a Word Class marquise event for a simple city triathlon. That's poor judgement, and like I've stated ,any times before we need to be agrees dive in the pursuit of bring ironman back. Whistlers contact is for 5 years. The Vity should be putting something into to appeal to Ironman Canada to warrant them considering a return home.... Anything other than that is being a Perpetually Pollyanna.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Council pulled the plug on Ironman because they were getting too demanding, sapping more and more city resources to line their own pockets all the while exerting more and more pressure for the city to do things their way without any say. If we went crawling to them to come back they would bring back the same attitude hugely magnified. It was the right thing to do, we're better off without them.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

if thats the case then why did Whistler really wanted the iron-man.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Symbonite wrote:if thats the case then why did Whistler really wanted the iron-man.

Perhaps because they (Whistler) have yet to realize the cap in hand expectations of Ironman management. You need to remember that Ironman is a private for profit business. If their race, and business plan is so wonderful, why do they need so much local subsidization? It seems as though the profit margin that goes directly into the pockets of the Ironman Race ownership pretty much equals local contributions. Free labour from volunteers, and a 100k plus from taxpayers in the form of "services in kind".
And who benefits from this graciousness? The answer is obvious. But it is certainly not Joe taxpayer resident. They just suck it up for four days of congested roads, cover the in kind services, in the interest of the greater good.
But hey, it brings a ton of people to contribute to a portion of our tourism economy. To that I say so did Boonstock. And Boonstock didn't ask Penticton taxpayers for over 100k in services and 1000 volunteers.
Perhaps future Boonstock Festivals should emulate the Ironman model for the profit margin required to be viable and become a yearly legacy.

Tongue planted in cheek....but not firmly.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

twobits wrote:"Symbonite"]if thats the case then why did Whistler really wanted the iron-man.

Perhaps because they (Whistler) have yet to realize the cap in hand expectations of Ironman management. You need to remember that Ironman is a private for profit business. If their race, and business plan is so wonderful, why do they need so much local subsidization? It seems as though the profit margin that goes directly into the pockets of the Ironman Race ownership pretty much equals local contributions. Free labour from volunteers, and a 100k plus from taxpayers in the form of "services in kind".
And who benefits from this graciousness? The answer is obvious. But it is certainly not Joe taxpayer resident. They just suck it up for four days of congested roads, cover the in kind services, in the interest of the greater good.
But hey, it brings a ton of people to contribute to a portion of our tourism economy. To that I say so did Boonstock. And Boonstock didn't ask Penticton taxpayers for over 100k in services and 1000 volunteers.
Perhaps future Boonstock Festivals should emulate the Ironman model for the profit margin required to be viable and become a yearly legacy.

Tongue planted in cheek....but not firmly.

And the best part about Ironman Canada? 2300 athletes x $750 = $1,750,000 in entry fees. No idea what sponsor revenues were.

Good thing they had all those volunteers to work the race. For free.

Return to “North Okanagan”