Gateway to Commerce in Penticton & Area publication

southy
Lord of the Board

Gateway to Commerce in Penticton & Area publication

Post by southy »

I picked up a copy of a new publication today - Gateway to Commerce in Penticton and Area. Very well produced, lots of great photos and success stories. I do wonder though just where the money for this publication came from. With our mayor continually talking about financial restraint and cost factors - who paid for this publication? I do see on the inside of the front cover that this is a joint publication of the: The City of Penticton, Summerland Chamber of Commerce, Downtown Penticton Association, the RDOS and the Penticton Western News. This publication probably wasn't cheap to produce as I previously mentioned it looks good. Full glossy paper - well done. But again, I somehow think taxpayers should know just how much this cost them and who gave to green light to proceed with this. There is also a fair amount of advertising inside the publication which I can only assume the revenue from which goes to the Penticton Western News. Wonder if that was part of their original contract? By the way, has anyone ever seen that contract between the City and the Western? Probably private information :). Does this sort of publication also fall under the Downtown Penticton Association's mission statement?

Again, I am not saying this publication is a bad idea, I for one would just like to know how it came about, the cost involved and who is paying who for what. Simple questions - hopefully the Communication Director for the City of Penticton can enlighten us.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Gateway to Commerce in Penticton & Area publication

Post by Bunnyhop »

You should call the City and ask those questions. Or the Western. It may be that the costs were covered by the advertising spots and no taxpayer money was spent. Better to ask the question rather than fret about it.
twobits
Guru

Re: Gateway to Commerce in Penticton & Area publication

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:I picked up a copy of a new publication today - Gateway to Commerce in Penticton and Area. Very well produced, lots of great photos and success stories. I do wonder though just where the money for this publication came from. With our mayor continually talking about financial restraint and cost factors - who paid for this publication? I do see on the inside of the front cover that this is a joint publication of the: The City of Penticton, Summerland Chamber of Commerce, Downtown Penticton Association, the RDOS and the Penticton Western News. This publication probably wasn't cheap to produce as I previously mentioned it looks good. Full glossy paper - well done. But again, I somehow think taxpayers should know just how much this cost them and who gave to green light to proceed with this. There is also a fair amount of advertising inside the publication which I can only assume the revenue from which goes to the Penticton Western News. Wonder if that was part of their original contract? By the way, has anyone ever seen that contract between the City and the Western? Probably private information :). Does this sort of publication also fall under the Downtown Penticton Association's mission statement?

Again, I am not saying this publication is a bad idea, I for one would just like to know how it came about, the cost involved and who is paying who for what. Simple questions - hopefully the Communication Director for the City of Penticton can enlighten us.

Southy, you are unlikely to find those answers here on these threads. You have identified the players and have also proven yourself to be a knowledgeable and factual poster. Why not follow your own instinct and make a call or email or two and tell us what you found out? If there is nothing there...say so. If there is, we would all like to hear about it.
The performance to date of our new council makes me think you might find a back end to your hypothesis. Run with it.

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “North Okanagan”