Poachers kill deer at night

Triple 6

Poachers kill deer at night

Post by Triple 6 »

seriously? What is wrong with people. I hope someone can see something from the grainy picture.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#138675

The B.C. Conservation Service is asking for the public’s assistance in identifying a vehicle and two people involved in the illegal harvest of a mule deer doe.

A several residents living near Spillar Road in Penticton were awoken by a loud truck in the late hours of April 15. Those inside the truck appeared to have harvested a mule deer in the closed season, at night and with the aid of a light.

Conservation officer Jeff Hanratty says a photograph of the truck and the two occupants was handed over to the agency.

The photo shows:

A blue and silver Chevy pickup
A 1988-2000 model
With a distinct tailgate chrome banner
A red tidy tank in the box
Very loud
“The subjects were seen attempting to load a freshly killed mule deer doe into the back of the truck, but fled when they observed the witness (taking photos),” explains Hanratty. "We are concerned with the safety risk associated with this type of violation and with the impact on the local deer population.”

Hanratty says the doe was pregnant with twins, which would have likely been born in coming weeks.

“This was done well outside the hunting season, and one of the reasons we have the season is to protect the deer population.”

It is illegal to hunt one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise, according to Hanratty.

“We have these reasons for one, sportsmanship, to allow for fair chase because at night the animals won’t typically run from light, they will stand still, so it gives hunters an unfair advantage.

"Two, there is the safety aspect of shooting in the dark, not knowing what your back stop is, or maiming animals and having them get away in the dark."

If anyone has information regarding this incident or the vehicle in the photo, contact 1-877-952-7277.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Re: Poachers kill deer at night

Post by OREZ »

Sickening.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
HeavyHauler
Fledgling

Post by HeavyHauler »

Someone ident these scum and get those F$*#ers
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

I was appalled when I read this last night...I mean, a pregnant mom. Are you guys that desperate???? Nothing is sacred anymore.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Fish and game should set a trap and when they show up again....give them the same thing the doe got. These people make me sick to my stomach.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I don't like the term 'harvest' being used to describe hunting at the best of times but certainly in this instance it doesn't apply. As far as I'm concerned if you didn't plant it or are in ownership like a farmer and his cow, it's killing not harvesting.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Poindexter wrote:I don't like the term 'harvest' being used to describe hunting at the best of times but certainly in this instance it doesn't apply. As far as I'm concerned if you didn't plant it or are in ownership like a farmer and his cow, it's killing not harvesting.

So a farmer harvests and a fisherman kills huh? Some flawed logic there.
Would you rather eat a turkey shot in the wild or one raised in a barn with several thousand other turkey's....ya know....owned and harvested? Myself, if it were possible here, would take that "killed" turkey over the farmer harvested one every single holiday.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

should be jail time for these neanderthals
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

twobits wrote:So a farmer harvests and a fisherman kills huh? Some flawed logic there.
Would you rather eat a turkey shot in the wild or one raised in a barn with several thousand other turkey's....ya know....owned and harvested? Myself, if it were possible here, would take that "killed" turkey over the farmer harvested one every single holiday.

Sorry, heading off topic. I was not trying to make this about the merits of hunting. Just think anytime I hear it called 'harvesting' I know I'm being fed a line of bull.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Poindexter wrote:
Sorry, heading off topic. I was not trying to make this about the merits of hunting. Just think anytime I hear it called 'harvesting' I know I'm being fed a line of bull.

Sorry, but you are making it about the merits of hunting. And I would also suggest that hunting for wild game is synonymous with harvesting because it is a controlled activity. Tags are required. Sustainability of the animal hunted are especially monitored....to the safe side......of providing a healthy sustainable population. There is no line of Bull here.
You may not like the idea of hunting for your own food and that is certainly your prerogative. But before you criticize those that do hunt for their own food you should bone up on the various regions of the province and what animals as well as what numbers of them can be taken with valid tags. These are actual hunters that are harvesting for their own use, not killers.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Poindexter wrote:I don't like the term 'harvest' being used to describe hunting at the best of times but certainly in this instance it doesn't apply. As far as I'm concerned if you didn't plant it or are in ownership like a farmer and his cow, it's killing not harvesting.

From the OP and nowhere else on this thread...

The B.C. Conservation Service is asking for the public’s assistance in identifying a vehicle and two people involved in the illegal harvest of a mule deer doe.

It's obviously just a term (harvesting) to avoid actually saying "killing" of the deer.

But it is the same.

So yes, it does apply.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

onestop67 wrote:It's obviously just a term (harvesting) to avoid actually saying "killing" of the deer.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

I wouldn't hold the hunters responsible for the term "harvest". (And I certainly wouldn't hold any rancher responsible, either. We didn't ever "harvest" our animals. We slaughtered them, we butchered them. Real, grown-up words for real, grown-up activities. We were clear-eyed about what we were doing and why: the family needed to eat.)

Hunters kill to eat, too. (Well, most of them, but that's a topic for another thread.) And they help the conservation branch with their job of balancing populations we've disrupted with agriculture, industry and housing developments. But can you imagine the uproar from the squeamish if the government announced "limited entry kill" permits were available?

Genteel euphemisms are used to cloak meaning, for the squeamish, and for political reasons. See George Carlin's "Shell Shock" commentary, about how we went from a term which clearly defined the effects of war to PTSD. (Language warning, of course. It's Carlin.)

When did our lives get to be so much about political correctness, and so little about reality? Everything's airbrushed into far more than it is, or far less than it is. It's airbrushed because we like to think in extremes.

Which is why we're asked, in defense of hunting: would we rather eat a turkey that had been killed in the bush than one that had been raised cheek-to-jowl in a barn? Well, how about not going to extremes in either direction? Plenty of turkeys are raised in decent, controlled environments where they're not fleeing predators nor crowded into feed lots. Then they're killed and we eat them.

That's reality, but it's too bald, too moderate.

Which is why it's not enough to simply say a deer was poached, killed out of season, or illegally harvested. Nope, we have to get maudlin over the pregnant mommy deer and her little babies. We're all about the extremes.

The poachers were caught poaching a deer and will be held accountable.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Actually, wildlife is owned by the taxpayers of this province through the Crown.

Animals are harvested sustainably for their meat.

You may prefer to hire someone to slaughter cattle in a slaughterhouse, while I prefer to take responsibility for feeding my family myself and harvest a deer or a moose.

You may prefer fecal matter, listeria, hormones, and antibiotics in your food. I prefer lean, organic meat that I prepare from field to table.

I take responsibility for the life and death of the animal used to feed my family. You think you've absolved yourself of responsibility for the life and death of the animals killed for your family, but you're mistaken because without your demand to eat them, those animals wouldn't be killed.

To say my harvest of meat is different from the meat harvested for you is any different is erroneous and points to a misunderstanding on your part about the food supply in this country. There's lots of good information available that explains it, if you're willing to learn.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “North Okanagan”