Cougar in Penticton

Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Cougar in Penticton

Post by Bunnyhop »

Do wolves have any predators, other than humans? And are the wolves following the deer to town, too? It wouldn't surprise me if they were, since the coyotes, cougars and bears seem to be.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Bunnyhop wrote:Do wolves have any predators, other than humans? And are the wolves following the deer to town, too? It wouldn't surprise me if they were, since the coyotes, cougars and bears seem to be.

Wolves kill each other most commonly. Grizzlies will rip up dens and eat pups if they find them.

The wolves are less likely than cougars to venture into town, but they'll patrol the outskirts. They certainly push the deer into town, as well as the cats.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Rwede, thanks for the link but after 20 pages, I was honestly overwhelmed and felt like I was reading a PHD thesis. In the Penticton area we are over run with mules in the city and city interface. I have not personally seen a white tail in that geographic area.
In lay terms, does this mean predators are less likely to follow mules into town because they prefer whites? Forgive me but I am having trouble wrapping my head around a hungry cat's preference for mule steak vs. white steak.

And OT but gotta ask....what is in your freezer.....white or mule and why? I have a dozen or more mules in my yard every single day. Do you have any good recipes besides pepperoni that might give me reason to want to be happy to see them? Be careful in your response....cuz the missus is really pizzed at spending 500 bucks every year for supposedly deer resistant posies.
I keep telling her, "do you realize how much lamb we could buy for that"?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

twobits wrote:Rwede, thanks for the link but after 20 pages, I was honestly overwhelmed and felt like I was reading a PHD thesis. In the Penticton area we are over run with mules in the city and city interface. I have not personally seen a white tail in that geographic area.
In lay terms, does this mean predators are less likely to follow mules into town because they prefer whites? Forgive me but I am having trouble wrapping my head around a hungry cat's preference for mule steak vs. white steak.

Ha, yes, the reading is a bit dry. I'd like a better executive summary in that paper. The cats prefer mulies. It's generally because of the terrain that mulies favour (more open timber, rock bluffs, steeper hillsides, etc) that cats can use to ambush the deer. Whitetails prefer dense timber on table lands and the cats have less luck with them. But cats do get enough WTs to supplement their diet when mule deer numbers decline, and the crux of the thesis is that keeps cat populations artificially high.

And OT but gotta ask....what is in your freezer.....white or mule and why? I have a dozen or more mules in my yard every single day. Do you have any good recipes besides pepperoni that might give me reason to want to be happy to see them? Be careful in your response....cuz the missus is really pizzed at spending 500 bucks every year for supposedly deer resistant posies.
I keep telling her, "do you realize how much lamb we could buy for that"?

I have both WT and MD in my freezer. Last year we did well on WTs, but the two previous years I got a couple of good-sized mulie bucks of which I still have a few steaks.

Properly prepared venison is a delicacy. We get sausage made each year, but also get steaks/chops/roasts/burger made too. There's no such thing as "gamey" deer when the meat is cared for, aged, and cooked properly. I also prefer to harvest younger deer, which are generally more tender than the older ones, but even older deer can be prepared to give good eats. I'll usually put older deer more into sausage but always save the steaks from the grinder for the BBQ.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “North Okanagan”