Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Post by Gixxer »

Yes lights are widely used but they are a bad idea on high speed high volume highways. How many traffic lights are the on the main highway from Chilliwack to Vancouver? Why were expensive over passes built instead of lights?

I would rather have the congestion on side street instead of a high speed major traffic corridor.

I have the feeling you're just be a contrarian at this point.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Gixxer wrote:Yes lights are widely used but they're a bad idea on high speed high volume highways. How many traffic lights are there on the main highway from Chilliwack to Vancouver? Why were expensive over passes built instead of lights?

lets try and compare apples to apples here please and thanks also 97N has about 1/50 the traffic volume as #1 highway system
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

dontrump wrote:
Gixxer wrote:Yes lights are widely used but they're a bad idea on high speed high volume highways. How many traffic lights are there on the main highway from Chilliwack to Vancouver? Why were expensive over passes built instead of lights?

lets try and compare apples to apples here please and thanks also 97N has about 1/50 the traffic volume as #1 highway system

You seem to know so much about MOT have you considered working for them?

Over two years of this discussion. Construction has started, and you are not getting a light. Time to move on.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

...another crash there today.....
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Chyren wrote:...another crash there today.....

should have had a lite = no crash simple as that LOL MOT are idiots wasting tax payers monies because they really don't care
:swear: :cuss: :130:
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

MOT does care. Thats why they didnt go with a light on a high speed high volume highway.
Last edited by Gixxer on Sep 27th, 2017, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 27th, 2017, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
slimebucket

Post by slimebucket »

to anyone who says this is a bad idea because another traffic light will slow down traffic?

ummm isnt that exactly what people want?? TRAFFIC SLOWED DOWN at controlled spots so that people turning left may go?

Do you people really think one light will negatively impact the traffic? Oh, so you get past stickle road without a light, save up to 4 minutes lets say. So you either get to beside London drugs if you go straight, or beside the mall the you turn right. Either way TRAFFIC, WITH LIGHTS AT ALMOST EVERY OTHER INTERSECTION.

So you hit that traffic. Your saved time is lost. completely as you get stuck in grid locked traffic, where people are turning left constantly, people stopping for no reasons, a million cross walks, pedestrians, but no, that light at stickle road is going to be the main time waster of your trip.

But now lets say you are at stickle road trying to turn left onto the highway. You can get stuck there for over 30 min, as the only time you truly get to go you STILL do not have right away. EVER. So why do you make everyone who lives or drives on Pleasent Valley suffer having to deture a massive distance, because VERNON has a highway though town.

EVERYONE who is protesting getting a light, are you protesting any of the lights on the highway, the crosswalks, how everyone turns left, making traffic ON A HIGHWAY, come to a STOP because ONE person wants to turn left... so dozens if not HUNDREDS of people have to wait on one person, ON A HIGHWAY? No, you are not.

People who argue this light are showing their true colours. They are the people that think speeding saves them time. These are the people that SPEED UP AT YELLOW LIGHTS TRYING TO GET TO THEIR DESTINATION QUICKER. Every single light in this town people do that. you people are going to get someone killed.

SLOW DOWN. THATS THE WHOLE POINT OF A RED AND YELLOW LIGHT. To argue we do not need the light BASED SOLOY on the fact it will "slow down your commute" is incredibly selfish. "I dont care people have to risk their lives every single time they want to turn onto the highway, what ever, saves me like 2 minutes not waiting for a light!"

This situation with MOT reminds me of a situation i saw when I worked as a Delivery driver for Pizza Hut. Someone in VANCOUVER head office decided that vernon should stop delivering to anyone living more than 15 minutes away, basically cutting out MAJORITY of people in the area who ordered delivery, as North Okanagan has no big name stores for a VERY incredile far distance, and lots of people willing to order a big order and have it delivered like 40 minutes away. These people tipped BIG TIME, because they knew it took a long time and I could have done multiple in town trips. But you see, the cut for Pizza hut was the same for in town or long distance, so they didnt care that these people paid BIG TIME.

They sent a guy down from head office to enforce the radius, and like I said, it was so small I couldnt even go out to the end of L + A road. basically went from a good job to having to tell majority of my customers I cannot deliver to them anymore because a big shot said so. Everyone, the customers, the workers, the drivers tried to argue and fight it, but rules are rules. "They are there for a reason, Pizza hut knows what it is doing, it didnt become so big and powerful not knowing a few things" But that guy they sent, he NEVER lived here, never knew any of the customers, never really knew anything about this place, but thinks he does because he sees sales numbers on a computer screen. So he thinks he knows whats best.

Yeah, at pizza hut I went from doing like 5 to 6 deliveries an hour to doing maybe 1. Quit that job in a heart beat. Lots of good workers quit, drivers quit, and customers decided to boycott Pizza Hut. Oh, but at least the rules where upheld!!
slimebucket

Post by slimebucket »

yeah the more I think about that argument makes no sense...

We don't want a light because.... it will do its job?? Is that seriously the best counter argument to this debate?

"It will slow down traffic" is NOT A VALID REASON for not wanting a light there. That is what a LIGHT is designed to do. Ever thought the whole point of this debate is to control traffic so people are not risking their lives?

But people actually are going to use the argument "It might make me have to wait. I do not want to wait there for I prefer others risk their lives. They do not need to risk their lives, but then I MIGHT have to wait."

how selfish can people get omg!??!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ it would have been huge improvement for traffic in this Valley if MOT (before MOT the DoH) had built actual bypasses for Vernon & Kelowna. Well before development happened, only way On or Off those bypasses would be via an On or Off ramps to an overpass or underpass depending which application works better.
Unfortunately foresight has never been very good when it comes to anyone in Government, they all appear to have okay hindsight though.
Which does everyone f :cuss: all good... & is totally useless.

Added Later: of course biggest opposition to bypasses was Chamber of Commerce back in the day.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

slimebucket does bring a good point forward.
My opposition...is yet another light, there are far too many, and several, if not the majority
of them are quite pointless in this day and age of structure and engineering.

Yes, do away with the ridiculous left hand turners not using dedicated lanes
through town.
Reduce lights, more (or at least some_ cloverleaf interchanges and over/under passes.

The total waste of monies being wasted on lights and the systems to work them
by seemingly incompetent people could be much better served toward a true
highway system.
One that actually moves the vast amount of vehicles that are attempting
to get somewhere in a reasonable manner and time.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “North Okanagan”