Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Post by dontrump »

Its not always about money - sometimes the better solution costs more money

As has been explained to you several times in this thread, a light system is inefficient at present and will only cause more problems as traffic increases in the future and a light creates its own hazards by a heightened risk of rear-enders and red light runners. The new road creates no added risks - I don't always agree with the MOT, but this time they get a big

you need not patronize me please. nothing has been explained to me per say .there have been "opinion" expressed regarding lites verses no lites ;;If in fact traffic lites increased rear end accidents(bunk) then why do we use traffic control lites in almost every highway situation in north America ;; I agree the new ridiculous one way road has no added risks but mark my words it will cause major traffic congestion at 27 street and McDonalds; again in my opinion MOT got this wrong and should have installed a lite 5 years ago
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

puttrench wrote:And "they" don't live here and don't care about our wetlands or have to drive around this city. I'm willing to bet there is some money involved in this best plan and I don't mean gov't money.

I live here and happy with the decision MOT made. Fill in the mud puddle, and avoid another light on the highway.

This reminds me of Frog pond up on middleton mountain years ago. The whiner and complainers of the Okanagan did what they do best and they whined and complained. Said the swamp was home to some endangered species of frog or something like that. Had the mountain shut down to 4 wheelers and dirt bikes. Well guess where the precious pond is now? Under a 4000sqf house in a subdivision. If people were truly concerned about the environment they should stop procreating. There needs to be a culling of humans or at least population control of some sort.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

dontrump wrote:
you need not patronize me please. nothing has been explained to me per say .there have been "opinion" expressed regarding lites verses no lites ;;If in fact traffic lites increased rear end accidents(bunk) then why do we use traffic control lites in almost every highway situation in north America ;; I agree the new ridiculous one way road has no added risks but mark my words it will cause major traffic congestion at 27 street and McDonalds; again in my opinion MOT got this wrong and should have installed a lite 5 years ago

So you prefer more congestion on the highway than on 27th street and McDonalds? MOT didnt get this wrong. They choose what is the best safest option.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dontrump wrote:if in fact traffic lites increased rear end accidents(bunk) then why do we use traffic control lites in almost every highway situation in north America ;;

We don't. And the places we do end up like West Kelowna. Granted, there are a few places around where a lone traffic light on the highway works - but those are far and few in between.
dontrump wrote:I agree the new ridiculous one way road has no added risks but mark my words it will cause major traffic congestion at 27 street and McDonalds;

Unlikely - even with the added traffic coming of PV Rd, going that way instead of all the way to 48th won't be that high.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

LOL where would there be congestion?? the amount of people turning left from stickle is miniscule and even less from turning left to go north from the small campground;; the traffic lite being red to through traffic would be very seldom and for short times based on the sensor system ;; spending 20 million to build a one way street for such a limited amount of traffic is ridiculous to say the least
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

we do use traffic lites at most all main highway intersections in NA so wake up and traffic going PV road would almost never end up at 27 and mCdonalds so not sure why u brought that up
The traffic as it is right now there is a real CF during high traffic times now so add in the 20 street detour traffic
mark my words you will see
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

dontrump wrote:I said "yes" to what property owners do to keep out Dirt bag dirt bikers and ATVers out + so does the government on public land
there is in no way my "yes" is in reference to the stickle road affair

So sorry , since somehow, someone brought dirtbikes and atv's into a highway discussion, how was I to know
the intent of your response.
One must be clear.

Lights are not the answer, they are a scapegoat, stop-gap measure, and a waste of resources.

A main transportation corridor should be free flowing so that our nations goods can be efficiently transported to
their destinations, keeping costs of the transport of those goods, to a minimum.
In turn, keeping the prices off the shelf, down.

The true and proper method is through the use of the over-pass, clover leaf network.

Truly unfortunate the MOT and local Governments seem to be so set against the implementation
of this proven method of building a proper network of efficient roadways.

Although imo Stickle rd, falls far short of the criteria to warrant such an endeavour,
the safest method then is to have it restricted to "with" flow access only.
No vehicle access to be crossing the travelling lanes.

In one thing I will agree, although I'll step a bit further.
MOT, the powers that be, have truly dropped the ball with our Regions main roadways network.
Through the overuse of lights and the lack of use of proven overpass systems.
Safety and efficiency seem to not be on the agenda.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

dontrump wrote:we do use traffic lites at most all main highway intersections in NA so wake up and traffic going PV road would almost never end up at 27 and mCdonalds so not sure why u brought that up
The traffic as it is right now there is a real CF during high traffic times now so add in the 20 street detour traffic

Wrong traffic lights are not used at most highway intersections.

Do you have a problem with all the new residential development in that area? Have you considered how much traffic congestion that it will create?
spooker

Post by spooker »

dontrump wrote:If in fact traffic lites increased rear end accidents(bunk) then why do we use traffic control lites in almost every highway situation in north America

A quick search results in some good writeups regarding how traffic lights are not the safety panacea most everyone things they are ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/comment/traffic-lights-cause-more-harm-than-good/
https://www.dmgov.org/Departments/Engineering/PDF/FAQ16_Traffic_Signal_Reduce_Accidents_.pdf
https://www.azdot.gov/business/engineering-and-construction/traffic/faq/pros-and-cons-of-traffic-signals
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

don trump wrote:we do use traffic lites at most all main highway intersections in NA so wake up and traffic going PV road would almost never end up at 27 and mCdonalds so not sure why u brought that up

Not really on main arteries, please show me how many lights are used from Hope BC to Horseshoe Bay on #1 hwy.
From Sicamous, BC to US border hwy 97 & 97A is our main artery, as much as possible either overpasses or underpasses with on/off ramps should have been used.
This action alone would have improved traffic flow like nothing else all along hwy 97 alone. Was not done so we are left with the current mess which will only get worse.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

GordonH wrote:
don trump wrote:we do use traffic lites at most all main highway intersections in NA so wake up and traffic going PV road would almost never end up at 27 and mCdonalds so not sure why u brought that up

Not really on main arteries, please show me how many lights are used from Hope BC to Horseshoe Bay on #1 hwy.
From Sicamous, BC to US border hwy 97 & 97A is our main artery, as much as possible either overpasses or underpasses with on/off ramps should have been used.
This action alone would have improved traffic flow like nothing else all along hwy 97 alone. Was not done so we are left with the current mess which will only get worse.

lots of stop lites all over BC drive 97 south theres like about 100
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dontrump wrote:lots of stop lites all over BC drive 97 south theres like about 100

Outside of city limits and downtown cores? I think not.

As I suggested earlier on, go down to West Kelowna and see how all those lights are working between downtown cores :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

dontrump wrote:lots of stop lites all over BC drive 97 south theres like about 100

I agree.

And then some people want more ?
I don't get !

This mind-set must come from those people that drive very little, on short little jaunts,
in a very close proximity to home and/or work, or...retired with no real
schedule at all.

Stop ALL of our goods constantly for the sake of a couple people that refuse to drive a
few more feet.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

The only logical solution(lite) and put on the back burner for 5 years and then spend millions on useless non proven studies all to come up with a useless one way 20 million dollar street;; yes sir your dollars at work;; LOL what a mess :130:
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 7th, 2017, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic

Return to “North Okanagan”