47304
47869

Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Postby Loki2u » Sep 10th, 2017, 3:10 pm

dontrump wrote:
But as I've also learned, there seems to be no room for logic, critical thought or
common sense in a discussion such as this.


so say you; just because you think your way does not automatically make it logical or common sense in others opinions
such as U view the OVR intersection and one and the same as stickle road and I view them as two entirely different situations
therefore in your way of reasoning iam wrong and your right case closed??


No.....so say you!

It's hard to debate a topic when the argument goes like this:

Person 1: Based on my experience, I believe xyz
Person 2: I don't believe you! You're wrong!
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-

dirtybiker likes this post.
Loki2u
Fledgling
 
Posts: 260
Likes: 253 posts
Liked in: 293 posts
Joined: Aug 24th, 2014, 6:09 pm

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Postby dontrump » Sep 10th, 2017, 3:27 pm

*removed*
1) its a entirely different scenario verses OVR;; the optics alone are obvious
2) A traffic lite here like 5 years ago would have been perfect
3) we still have nothing and we about to waste 20 million in the next 2-3 years
Last edited by ferri on Sep 10th, 2017, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
dontrump
Übergod
 
Posts: 1782
Likes: 376 posts
Liked in: 513 posts
Joined: Feb 20th, 2016, 10:39 am

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Postby dirtybiker » Sep 10th, 2017, 8:54 pm

dontrump wrote: iam wrong and your right case closed??


Ah, finally coming around. :D
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Dizzy1 likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru
 
Posts: 5028
Likes: 1966 posts
Liked in: 1425 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 6:00 pm
Location: Central OK

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Postby Dizzy1 » Sep 11th, 2017, 11:08 pm

dontrump wrote:you cant get to old Vernon road when u turn left at the airport lites that Iam aware of ? and turning left at the actual old Vernon road is no big deal

Huh?
dontrump wrote:I seriously doubt you actually have ;; if it was so there would be either no left turns there or a change in the turn systems I have never heard or seen a accident there not saying there is "none" just doubt the "" many a catastrophic wreck "" u claim

Using your "logic" ... How many "big wrecks" are at Stickle? Me, personally, I've never seen any - not saying that there aren't "any" - well, I guess that justifies an outdated and inefficient light.

dontrump wrote:1) its a entirely different scenario verses OVR;; the optics alone are obvious

No, its not.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

dirtybiker likes this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10132
Likes: 3976 posts
Liked in: 4450 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Postby dirtybiker » Sep 11th, 2017, 11:21 pm

I have witnessed the aftermath of wrecks at Stickle Rd. and yes, they were bad, one very bad !
Quite a few more at OVR and even Lodge, but they are not what this thread is about

It, IMO, is the drivers that need to change the situation,
not the roadway.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Dizzy1 likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru
 
Posts: 5028
Likes: 1966 posts
Liked in: 1425 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 6:00 pm
Location: Central OK

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Postby jasond_71 » Sep 12th, 2017, 5:36 am

I think the comparison to other intersections was to give examples where people can take a side road instead of making a dangerous turn.
Funny the arguement against a light was slowing traffic.
Vernon is the only town that allows left turns off the highway in town without a turn lane. That slows traffic more than anything.
Can't turn left in kamloops, kelowna, Westbank penticton, lake country without a left turn lane.
Add 4 dedicated left turn lanes and put a meridian from army camp to Kelly obrians .

dirtybiker likes this post.
jasond_71
Fledgling
 
Posts: 235
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 152 posts
Joined: Aug 25th, 2006, 8:22 pm

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Postby Dizzy1 » Sep 12th, 2017, 9:58 am

jasond_71 wrote:Funny the arguement against a light was slowing traffic.
Vernon is the only town that allows left turns off the highway in town without a turn lane. That slows traffic more than anything.
Can't turn left in kamloops, kelowna, Westbank penticton, lake country without a left turn lane.
Add 4 dedicated left turn lanes and put a meridian from army camp to Kelly obrians .

Actually, its not a funny argument, it is the argument. We've seen how poor traffic planning by simply throwing up lights here and there, not timing them and allowing buildings to crawl right up to the curb, not allowing any future traffic needs to be rectified in an efficient manner, has become a serious problem and created issues that our population doesn't justify. Which is exactly why so many understand that putting yet another traffic light up is ridiculous and inefficient.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10132
Likes: 3976 posts
Liked in: 4450 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Postby GordonH » Sep 12th, 2017, 2:14 pm

jasond_71 wrote:Funny the arguement against a light was slowing traffic.
Vernon is the only town that allows left turns off the highway in town without a turn lane. That slows traffic more than anything.
Can't turn left in kamloops, kelowna, Westbank penticton, lake country without a left turn lane.
Add 4 dedicated left turn lanes and put a meridian from army camp to Kelly obrians .

Dizzy1 wrote:Actually, its not a funny argument, it is the argument. We've seen how poor traffic planning by simply throwing up lights here and there, not timing them and allowing buildings to crawl right up to the curb, not allowing any future traffic needs to be rectified in an efficient manner, has become a serious problem and created issues that our population doesn't justify. Which is exactly why so many understand that putting yet another traffic light up is ridiculous and inefficient.


Exactly Dizzy1, just need to look at the stretch of Hwy 97 from YLW to 97C. Nothing can really be done to improve traffic flow now, if 50+/- years ago wherever possible over or under passes had been installed.
This area would not be the bottleneck it is now in the Valley, as population continues to grow its just going to get worse.

Added: higher construction costs back then would equal to better traffic flow today.

dirtybiker likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18133
Likes: 1788 posts
Liked in: 5614 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Postby dontrump » Sep 12th, 2017, 3:05 pm

Dizzy1 wrote:
jasond_71 wrote:Funny the arguement against a light was slowing traffic.
Vernon is the only town that allows left turns off the highway in town without a turn lane. That slows traffic more than anything.
Can't turn left in kamloops, kelowna, Westbank penticton, lake country without a left turn lane.
Add 4 dedicated left turn lanes and put a meridian from army camp to Kelly obrians .

Actually, its not a funny argument, it is the argument. We've seen how poor traffic planning by simply throwing up lights here and there, not timing them and allowing buildings to crawl right up to the curb, not allowing any future traffic needs to be rectified in an efficient manner, has become a serious problem and created issues that our population doesn't justify. Which is exactly why so many understand that putting yet another traffic light up is ridiculous and inefficient.

Sorry that's not true ;Its Just there of the opinion that putting up another traffic lite is ridiculous(again their opinion) and inefficient
Just as many of us understand the perfect logic in the idea of installing enhanced lanes and signal lites at this intersection that would work very well
dontrump
Übergod
 
Posts: 1782
Likes: 376 posts
Liked in: 513 posts
Joined: Feb 20th, 2016, 10:39 am

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Postby jasond_71 » Sep 12th, 2017, 3:12 pm

Yes I agree. No planning whatsoever. At least penticton was smart enough to plan a bypass although they do have a couple lights on it.
Maybe a highway on the westside to bypass kelowna and vernon:)
jasond_71
Fledgling
 
Posts: 235
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 152 posts
Joined: Aug 25th, 2006, 8:22 pm

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Postby dontrump » Sep 12th, 2017, 7:49 pm

jasond_71 wrote:Yes I agree. No planning whatsoever. At least penticton was smart enough to plan a bypass although they do have a couple lights on it.
Maybe a highway on the westside to bypass kelowna and vernon:)


except this is a different situation. this is about a intersection North of Vernon. its not in the city of Vernon and out of their jurisdiction
dontrump
Übergod
 
Posts: 1782
Likes: 376 posts
Liked in: 513 posts
Joined: Feb 20th, 2016, 10:39 am

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Postby Dizzy1 » Sep 12th, 2017, 9:52 pm

dontrump wrote:except this is a different situation. this is about a intersection North of Vernon. its not in the city of Vernon and out of their jurisdiction

Everything along Hwy 97 is out of Vernon's (or Kelowna's, or Penticton's, etc.) jurisdiction - its a Provincial Highway, thus it's Victoria's jurisdiction. Anything along Hwy 97 that is within city limits has to be approved by MoT, just as it does outside city limits.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

dirtybiker likes this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10132
Likes: 3976 posts
Liked in: 4450 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Postby jasond_71 » Sep 13th, 2017, 6:26 am

Exactly which is why often someone from Victoria is making this decision. Like not putting a right turn lane towards multiplex when half the cars in that lane turn right. All that room there and they were already changing intersection but they don't put one in.

dirtybiker likes this post.
jasond_71
Fledgling
 
Posts: 235
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 152 posts
Joined: Aug 25th, 2006, 8:22 pm

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Postby dontrump » Sep 13th, 2017, 10:20 am

Dizzy1 wrote:
dontrump wrote:except this is a different situation. this is about a intersection North of Vernon. its not in the city of Vernon and out of their jurisdiction

Everything along Hwy 97 is out of Vernon's (or Kelowna's, or Penticton's, etc.) jurisdiction - its a Provincial Highway, thus it's Victoria's jurisdiction. Anything along Hwy 97 that is within city limits has to be approved by MoT, just as it does outside city limits.


that's my whole point ;;someone was complaining about the city regarding stickle road;;Its not in the city of Vernon so there say means nothing to the MOT meatheads that have screwed up this whole deal for the last 5 years or more
dontrump
Übergod
 
Posts: 1782
Likes: 376 posts
Liked in: 513 posts
Joined: Feb 20th, 2016, 10:39 am

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Postby Dizzy1 » Sep 13th, 2017, 11:45 am

dontrump wrote:that's my whole point ;;someone was complaining about the city regarding stickle road;;Its not in the city of Vernon so there say means nothing to the MOT meatheads that have screwed up this whole deal for the last 5 years or more

Thankfully, MoT "meatheads" aren't making the same mistakes as they have in the past and bypassing an inefficient and dangerous traffic light in favour of a more efficient and safer alternative.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

GordonH likes this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10132
Likes: 3976 posts
Liked in: 4450 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

PreviousNext

Return to North Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests