Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Postby Hassel99 » Nov 9th, 2015, 3:49 pm

Verminator wrote:
http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/150 ... ickle-Road

The option of extending 20th Street to the frontage road will result in the complete destruction of the north end of the BX Creek Trail and it's associated environment. If the MOT adopts this stupid proposal it can expect some serious opposition.

I think this new plan makes a ton of sense, you can build the road while still protecting the creek, man we have buildings in this town with creeks that run through them, we can build it while protecting the environment at the same time, plus there is a big for sale sign on most of the land behind walmart anyway. Development is coming!
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3393 posts

Postby Verminator » May 25th, 2016, 3:42 pm

Hassel99 wrote:
http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/150 ... ickle-Road

I think this new plan makes a ton of sense, you can build the road while still protecting the creek, man we have buildings in this town with creeks that run through them, we can build it while protecting the environment at the same time, plus there is a big for sale sign on most of the land behind walmart anyway. Development is coming!

The wetlands behind Rona won't survive survive if 20th Street is extended. And what about the noise, pollution and safety issues that come with the massive increase in traffic when 20th Street is turned into a highway access road? No problem I guess, as long as you don't live there.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Verminator
Board Meister

Liked in: 128 posts

Postby dontrump » May 25th, 2016, 4:16 pm

My opinion is this. It to me was a no brainer to upgrade the existing intersection with better turning lanes and a 4 way stop lite system controlled by traffic counts.This 20 street extension is nothing sort of ridiculous.
How does this in any way alleviate south bound traffic turning left or northbound traffic turning left into campground?
It seems like a incredible expensive road system to build just to satisfy the small amount of traffic that is trying to turn left to go south at present time?
This intersection is ultra low traffic flow 65% of the time that's why a traffic sensor/counter will work here
Last edited by dontrump on May 25th, 2016, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 731 posts

Postby Verminator » May 25th, 2016, 5:17 pm

dontrump wrote:My opinion is this. It to me was a no brainer to upgrade the existing intersection with better turning lanes and a 4 way stop lite system controlled by traffic counts.This 20 street extension is nothing sort of ridiculous.
How does this in any way alleviate south bound traffic turning left or northbound traffic turning right?
It seems like a incredible expensive road system to build just to satisfy the small amount of traffic that is trying to turn left to go south at present time?

You hit the nail right on the head. Extending 20th Street will only add to the problems, not alleviate them. A properly engineered intersection with traffic-controlled stop lights is the best solution IMO, even if it is less than perfect.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Verminator
Board Meister

Liked in: 128 posts

Postby bob vernon » May 25th, 2016, 6:06 pm

Yes, we already have a creek that runs through town and through buildings. This creek is basically just a storm sewer for all that length that runs under all those buildings. It emerges in a hotel and provides some gurgling sounds and that's about all. It only becomes a creek again when it emerges out of the buildings.

If this was a lower mainland intersection, a light would have gone in long ago, maybe even an interchange. But it's Okanagan North and the local masses will put up with what the province tells them, and they'll still vote Liberal/Conservative/Social Credit or whatever they call themselves. They've done it for generations.

This says nothing of the overpass. The one with the big dips where water collects during a thunderstorm, setting up a hydroplaning trap for anyone foolish enough to drive over it at the speed limit. There have be many crashes on the overpass, including a double fatality last summer......... during a thunderstorm. The traffic needs to be slowed down. Put in the #$%^&* light.
bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1526 posts

Re: Changes at north-end of Vernon

Postby GordonH » May 25th, 2016, 6:21 pm

^^^ Placing an overpass on top of a marsh was a really stupid thing to do, I totally agree with you on that one bob.

Okanagan highway already has far to many traffic lights, what the hell add another one. Having train tracks so close removes best solution
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8927 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby dontrump » May 27th, 2016, 10:41 am

looks like they had a public meeting on Thursday and they want to spend 9 million extending 20 street for all the left turn Traffic. I personally think these MOT planers are mentally incompetent
this whole plan is so ridiculous. its a terrible plan. a simple lite controlled intersection with turning lane enhancement is all that's needed no more and no less
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby GordonH » May 27th, 2016, 10:52 am

^^^ MOTI should never be confused with intelligent decision making. lol
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Wave101 » May 27th, 2016, 11:03 am

The people who are advocating traffic lights are the same as the ones who advocated a couplet in West Kelowna. Short sighted thinking. #NeverLights
Wave101
Fledgling

Liked in: 175 posts

Postby GordonH » May 27th, 2016, 11:10 am

Wave101 wrote:The people who are advocating traffic lights are the same as the ones who advocated a couplet in West Kelowna. Short sighted thinking. #NeverLights

I'd prefer an overpass, due to rail tracks thats impossibility
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby dontrump » May 27th, 2016, 2:47 pm

Wave101 wrote:The people who are advocating traffic lights are the same as the ones who advocated a couplet in West Kelowna. Short sighted thinking. #NeverLights

west Kelowna has nothing to do with north Vernon not even in the same world problem wise
A traffic lite system and improved lanes would eliminate the danger at this intersection once and for all and would cost
1/2 as much or less. Its only busy at certain times of the day. 75% of time out there traffic is not a problem
even if they put in flashing amber/red and some hi profile traffic warn signs along with a left turn merge lane it would make it 100% better than we currently see it and cost very little compared to this ridiculous 20 street extention
I mean 20 street extension is one thing but to then block all Hy97 left turn traffic is just plain stupid.
so if a person wants to go across the highway its ok but if u want to cross the highway and turn left you not allowed???
ridiculous

kevcol99 likes this post.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Gixxer » May 27th, 2016, 8:16 pm

The last thing that highway needs is another light. There really needs to be an overhaul of the 2 main highways thru town. All left turns on HWY 97 should only be done at controlled intersections. The new light at Bearisto and Tim Hortons is awful, and is already causing backups and bottle necking. Cant wait for summer, and the Funtastic weekend.

2 people like this post.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1676 posts

Postby dontrump » May 27th, 2016, 8:25 pm

there is one thing and one thing only need at squires 4 corner and its called a control lite end of story
cheap easy effective safe no fuss no muss EOS
Last edited by dontrump on May 27th, 2016, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Dizzy1 » May 27th, 2016, 8:27 pm

dontrump wrote:there is one thing need at squires 4 corner and its called a control lite end of story

No, its not the end of story. There is no need for a light there. If people have that much of an issue trying to make a left turn going back into town, go down PV. Thats what I do.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

2 people like this post.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5134 posts

Postby Gixxer » May 27th, 2016, 8:28 pm

dontrump wrote:there is one thing need at squires 4 corner and its called a control lite end of story

Nope it will be far more dangerous with people being rear ended, and running red lights. End of story

Glacier likes this post.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1676 posts

PreviousNext

Return to North Okanagan