Vernon- Living in North BX

birdsandbeetles

Vernon- Living in North BX

Post by birdsandbeetles »

Would love to get some insight into what it is like to live in the North BX from people who live there or have lived there. What are some of the considerations and concerns? Ie. Are there a lot of wildlife encounters (bears, cougars, coyotes)? Is it a good area to live with small children? Are the roads well-maintained? Anything at all - I'd like to hear it. In love with the area, but want to do some thorough research. :)
Rellic

Re: Vernon- Living in North BX

Post by Rellic »

Been here five years now and Love it.
Shopped for a year to find a retirement residence in Vernon our City of choice after spending 35 years on the Shuswap in Eagle Bay. Rural life was good in our working years with both of us having prosperous careers. Upon retirement We wanted to relocate from what had changed from a rural residential area to a summer vacation resort area and be closer to amenities and services.

Not wanting to spend our retirement savings on an over sized home We were looking for a humble bungalow / rancher with enough parking for at least two vehicles without having to move one to use the other.
after a year of shopping We discovered North BX and within a month found more than what We wanted, half acre full serviced less sewer lot, 1600 sq ft level entry rancher, three vehicle heated garage, 1800 sq ft detached work shop and enough open parking for three vehicles, our two boats, car haul trailer and travel trailer. Peach, Pear, Apple and Cherry trees all for a meager three hundred large. A very affordable community, close to Fire Hall and Elementary School. Family oriented Community, lots of kids out playing on the streets that are reasonably maintained and We are just below the snow line so winter conditions are not an issue for traffic.

We are surrounded by orchards, horse breeders / trainers and hobby farms giving us access to local produce, fruits and eggs. All this and We are four minutes to Village Green shopping plaza.

We have a fenced area for our Dog so wildlife like Bears Coyotes and Deer are not an issue with us but Our neighbors across the road did have a Doe with Her two Fawns spend the spring months in their back shrubs. If My dear Wife would back off on the bird feeders We wouldn't be plagued with Song Birds, Quail, Doves, Pheasant and the occasional predator Great Horned Owl and Hawks feeding on what We feed. Quite a mess of feathers last weekend after the Hawk had a Dove for lunch under Our Apple Tree.

After five years here We have discovered great neighbors and caring families in what is basically a very friendly and open community with a rural feeling but close to town.

We are proud to call North BX Home.
birdsandbeetles

Thank you so much for your reply! It does sound like a great neighbourhood by the sounds of things. I would welcome a doe and fawns and colourful birds into my yard any day, but I am worried about cougars stalking my young children! Maybe that's the city slicker in me. I'm not sure how much of a threat they really are out there but I do know they live in the area.
Rellic

Post by Rellic »

Cougars live in the fringe of every rural community of the Pacific North West. We lived in far more remote communities than BX and have NEVER encountered a Cougar / Child incidence.
In 1996 and 2001 We had Cougar sightings on our property in Eagle Bay On both occasions the beasts stayed where they were sighted until they knew they were sighted and immediately moved on never to be seen again, Beautiful, Graceful and aw inspiring to see.
In 1956 living in Port McNeil BC My little Brother, Myself at age seven and our Next door neighbor of the same age and His Dog were playing in our back yard while our Mom was hanging the laundry out on the line and a Cougar jumped over our fence, grabbed the Dog and took it back over the fence for lunch. No children were hurt and Pioneer Timber and Cellulose Co. brought in a Cougar hunter the who very next day with the aid of His trained Dogs shot the beast and put it on display for the community to see that the issue was resolved. Other than the poor Dog all were well and NO children were hurt.

Vernon and area dose have an abundance of Cougars but they are known to prey on verille young men more so than young children.
birdsandbeetles

Rellic wrote:Vernon and area dose have an abundance of Cougars but they are known to prey on verille young men more so than young children.

haha! Thanks for the laugh.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not excessively worried about cougars behind every tree. I know that they are normally elusive creatures who keep to themselves, but it's stories like this one from last year (involving pets in the bx) that have planted the idea in my head: *bleep*/newsitem/three-cougar ... bx/it13361

Return to “North Okanagan”