Driver Escapes Injury

Rellic

Driver Escapes Injury

Post by Rellic »

He told police he was listening to his music and never saw the train crossing warning lights.

He never saw the train, either.

A Vernon man escaped injury after driving his car into a train that was either stopped or barely moving at 43rd Avenue and 31st Street shortly after 6 p.m. Monday.

“The driver told officers he was going about 50 km/hour when he turned right off of 32nd Street onto 43rd Avenue,” said Vernon RCMP spokesperson Gord Molendyk.

“The train crossing had all the bells, lights and whistles going, but the young man said he was listening to his music and never saw or heard the lights and train.”

The car’s front bumper was torn off in the accident.

There was no damage to the train.

http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/news/321484001.html

Pedestrians beware!!!! this Guy cant even see a train in an active train crossing.
Would this not qualify as "Disracted Driving"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Driver Escapes Injury

Post by Bsuds »

They should check his cell phone for any activity at the time of the accident.
Listening to music my a$$!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Wonder if he was listening to his tunes with his headphones on - it's boggles the mind how many idiots out there drive while plugged in. Scary stuff
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Rellic

Post by Rellic »

How dose one NOT see a train?
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

I wondered the same thing, how do you not see a train. you gotta pay attention, also how does one get up to 50kmhs so quickly once making the turn onto that street (forget the street) lo. the crossing is right there. Also if you're listing to music you should still be able to see the train as you're making that turn. Ugh i'm gonna stop trying to make sense of stupid drivers, just hope one doesn't hit me one day.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

It is unbelievable what people do. When I was a kid (over 16) in Saskatchewan I saw an accident on number 1 hwy between Regina and Moose Jaw. A car with I believe 5 occupants was wiped out by a train on al level crossing. Everyone was killed. If you have ever driven that hwy closer in to Regina you can see for miles in every direction. How is it possible no one say or heard the train which apparently had it's whistle blowing.

I believe this person should loose his licence for a year, be required to take driver training and pass his tests again. Maybe it would wake him up all though I doubt it. I really hope insurance doesn't pay for his damage as he doesn't deserve it.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

The headphones that he was wearing should be outlawed while driving. I don't think headphones should ever cover one's eyes. (sarcasm off)
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Rellic wrote:How dose one NOT see a train?

It's impossible unless ones eyes are not pointed in the direction they should be while driving. Ten to one odds this guy was either fiddling with a music player, txting or reading a text.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Probably under the influence of the "medicinal" sort.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I remember listening to music...seat back, eyes closed, just going with the beat...but I was in an easy chair not the drivers seat!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

driveangry wrote:Probably under the influence of the "medicinal" sort.

well then he shouldn't be driving then. I drive after smoking a doobie, now depends on a few things, I'll usually try not to drive right after smoking wait about an hour or so, never have had an issue. Now I did have a driver on 25th st in the long horn pub pullout in front of me and i managed to swerve around them and just missed them. Now that was a close call, i don't know who was more freaked out me or the other driver.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/can-you-legally-we ... -1.1615620

So this was back on 2014 but BC says that you can use your headphones for hands free purposes but not Music. That is deemed illegal.

by the time the cops get there though...he could have erased all evidence that he was on the phone.

Cell Phone SuperTip. Don't Erase all texts and emails and calls from your phone when you go over the border. They get very suspicious on that.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

Too many drivers use their car as if they were at home - eating, drinking, putting on makeup, changing CD's, playing movies, talking on phone, texting, charging cells, etc. They now have cars with coffee makers.

There are enough distractions on the road to watch for. Drivers don't need distractions inside the car they are driving.
If we ask the right questions we can change the world with the right answers

Return to “North Okanagan”