Major concern re over-development in Vernon

TheBoss
Fledgling

Major concern re over-development in Vernon

Post by TheBoss »

In the last 10 years it seems like vernon has become over developed, Now i'm one for growth and all but at what cost? More condos / town houses being developed in old open lots, or in areas that should of been a protected habitat (blue heron area). My major concern is Vernon selling the tract of land in behind rona. I thought that area was a protected creek / wetland area, yet there is a for sale sign stating how great it would be for town homes. Now the lot next to walmart i would of made into a park, protecting it from further development. Vernon is losing it's unique charm and unique habitat due to over development. Now enjoy my rant add to it if you want, but vernon is losing it's charm for what reason? to make the few happy and rich?
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Re: Major concern re over-development in Vernon

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

Vernon has charm??? Who would of thought.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

used to have charm is the key phrasing. It's losing what made vernon so special, a small town with beautiful areas to explore and see.Now it's an over developed small town that doesn't have any charm left.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I agree that more land needs to be protected. There is a major heron sanctuary in that area, is that what's being developed? I notice that the trees have all been cleared beside Walmart. There will be 77 or so houses going in there for a smoking deal starting at $199,900 according do their website. You ask how on earth they can turn a profit at that price? Easier. By selling the house, but not the land. You will have to lease the lot your house sits on.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Glacier wrote:I agree that more land needs to be protected. There is a major heron sanctuary in that area, is that what's being developed? I notice that the trees have all been cleared beside Walmart. There will be 77 or so houses going in there for a smoking deal starting at $199,900 according do their website. You ask how on earth they can turn a profit at that price? Easier. By selling the house, but not the land. You will have to lease the lot your house sits on.

The City of Vernon insists a new residential development is not putting herons at risk.

The Morning Star has been contacted by some concerned residents about trees being removed on a property next to Walmart, and the potential impact on herons which nest in the area.

“The owner has a tree removal permit to remove the trees from the northwest corner of the property as part of the development,” said Dale Rintoul, the city’s current planning manager.

“The trees are not heron host trees and would be a hazard to the new homes in that portion of the property.”

The nine-acre property is not part of a nearby lot that has a covenant to protect the heron rookery.

“The trees had to come down, some were dying and dangerous,” said Len Sloan, with the development company.

“There are no birds there nesting.”

The property is zoned mobile home residential and the city has issued a development permit and subdivision plan approvals for a 77-pad manufactured home park and one single-family residence.

“The manufactured home park requires extensive landscaping, which includes an abundance of new trees,” said Rintoul.

Construction is expected to begin this month and Sloan believes the development will address a need for housing locally.

“We have no set age group but we’re targeting 45-plus,” he said.

“We’re trying to make it semi-affordable.”

The development will lead to the widening of 20th Street, including a new sidewalk, street lights and landscaped boulevard.

There will also be an extension of 21st Street north and 55th Avenue.

http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/news/321078221.html

The heron issue aside, we do need more affordable housing developments like this closer to town.

WRT to the OP, if you are not growing you are dying.

Return to “North Okanagan”