Save the turtles!

danmartin
Board Meister

Save the turtles!

Post by danmartin »

This is a topic that I wish could be put into the north Okanagan area as that is where I'm seeing the problem but perhaps it transcends both north, south and central Okanagan. I travel Commonage road several times per week and today it was very troublesome to see at least eleven dead young turtles on the road! There were seven near the north end of Thompson Lake. It was only two weeks ago that in the same area there were 4 or 5 dead on the road. In the last month I'm sure I've seen at least 30 dead ones. Something cleans up the dead ones relatively quickly as they are usually gone in a few hours so how many actually have been killed? I have stopped and moved 5 trying to cross the road. I don't know what the answer is except make people aware that they should be watching for them as it is quite easy to avoid them if you watch for them. To the jerks that steal the turtle crossing signs I wish bad karma on you!!!!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Save the turtles!!!

Post by Glacier »

Other places have tunnels for turtles to use.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

If turtles get killed while trying to cross the road in the usual slow manner, that's just the evolution doing its thing. Eventually only the fast turtles will survive, and slow ones will die off.

Who am I to stand in the way of evolution by slowing down or stopping?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Killing turtles deliberately isn't about evolution. We created the problem of lack of habitat - we should fix it.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Captain Awesome wrote:If turtles get killed while trying to cross the road in the usual slow manner, that's just the evolution doing its thing. Eventually only the fast turtles will survive, and slow ones will die off.

Who am I to stand in the way of evolution by slowing down or stopping?

Love the sarcasm but luckily, turtles never experienced hwy's in their evolutionary journey. It's sad to run over them but far better than them in flight coming thru your windshield.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Fancy wrote:Killing turtles deliberately isn't about evolution. We created the problem of lack of habitat - we should fix it.

We're a part of habitat just like turtles or bears. So, if they can't survive us as neighbors - they need to evolve. Either avoid crossing highways or running faster.

Let's say a T-Rex appeared in the middle of the jungles and started daily running and eating whatever he came across? Some animals would evolve by avoiding the area that T-Rex frequents and survived. And dumb ones would die off eventually. Evolution!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Captain Awesome wrote:We're a part of habitat just like turtles or bears.

I think we're recreating the habitat - so not really part of it or else we wouldn't have roads.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Fancy wrote:I think we're recreating the habitat

Oh, that's baloney. Habitat is being changed all the time. Rivers change their paths, climate changes, valleys dry out, earthquakes level entire ranges. In the process turtles and other creatures die by billions. Our continents are in constant motion. A long time ago our continents were a single land mass called Pangaea, now it's seven continents separated by water. I'm pretty sure few turtles died when their habitat was changing by forming of our modern continents, I don't see anybody crying for them. Our world is constantly evolving, and whatever changes we make are a bleep in the overall ocean of changes, because we are a part of this habitat.

The notion that everything stays the same and no animals are being hurt, and then evil humans show up and start killing turtles with our highways is just dumb.
treeman97

Re: Save the turtles!

Post by treeman97 »

danmartin wrote:I have stopped and moved 5 trying to cross the road.

Be sure to wash your hands well after handling them, turtles carry salmonella.
How to start an argument: State an opinion and wait.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Testudines are one of the oldest reptiles dating back about 157 million years ( or 6 - 10 thousand years ago , depending on where you spend your Sundays ) The Mcadamized road way has been around for about 200 years , and the automobile just over 100.
1/1,000,000 th of their history is likely not enough to evolve much. The fools who intentionally aim their trucks at them are also overdue for some evolution.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

gordon_as wrote:Testudines are one of the oldest reptiles dating back about 157 million years ( or 6 - 10 thousand years ago , depending on where you spend your Sundays ) The Mcadamized road way has been around for about 200 years , and the automobile just over 100.
1/1,000,000 th of their history is likely not enough to evolve much. The fools who intentionally aim their trucks at them are also overdue for some evolution.

Are you suggesting there are actually losers out there that intentionally run over turtles crossing the road??? There is absolutely no honour or sport in such an activity. I personally draw my line at the speedy Quail, but only ones that are capable of flight at the last second. There is no sport in taking them when they are just walnuts with legs.

Tongue was firmly planted in cheek for you PETA members. But seriously, and perhaps a bit OT, can anyone suggest an evolutionary reason why Quail, who are very capable of flight, would choose to run until their little feet are going the same rate as a hummingbird wing, wait until 1/2 second before certain death before taking flight???
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Yes twobits , unfortunately there are those kinds of people.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

gordon_as wrote:Yes twobits , unfortunately there are those kinds of people.

Unintentional road kill is one thing but have you actually seen people purposely try to run over a turtle? That is sick beyond words and their plate number should be reported. I know that not much beyond a visit from John Law or Conservation may result but even that may make them aware that people are watching, their behavior is unacceptable, and dissuade them from doing it any more. And when they tell their like minded red neck friends about the visit, they might think twice as well.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Captain Awesome wrote:The notion that everything stays the same and no animals are being hurt, and then evil humans show up and start killing turtles with our highways is just dumb.

Nature is one thing - a man-made asphalt jungle is another. Man needs to be a little more aware of the changes in environment that have nothing to do with nature. I've moved turtles too because they weren't counting on navigating plastics/rubber and everything else man-made. People will drive right over them - sad. It's not like the turtles can outrun or hide from vehicles.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

When my daughter was 10 years old, she used to always go to that pond on Highway 33, just getting into Black Mountain on the right side, and save the turtles near the side of the road. She brought home...probably 20 of them.

I always sent her to school the next day and promised I'd take them back to the other side of the pond, away from the highway...but man, I love turtle soup. She still thinks it was chicken noodle.

Return to “North Okanagan”