Small Shrimp - Big Ruckus

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Small Shrimp - Big Ruckus

Post by Treblehook »

Wow... the shrimp boat are making too much noise while ridding the lake of the shrimp responsible for decimating the kokanee population. Wow... some tolerance for necessary work would be in order... no?
twobits
Guru

Re: Small Shrimp - Big Ruckus

Post by twobits »

Treblehook wrote:Wow... the shrimp boat are making too much noise while ridding the lake of the shrimp responsible for decimating the kokanee population. Wow... some tolerance for necessary work would be in order... no?

One has to wonder if those lake front owners are as cognisant of the noise their airplane makes to people unfortunate enough to be in the flight path whilst they jet off to Arizona or the Caribean.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Wealthy old ladies with nothing better to do but whine and complain
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Having not heard these shrimp boats myself I wont be so quick to judge if they're working through the night and are noisy they may have a legitimate complaint, also keep in mind that sound really travels across the water.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

LTD wrote:Having not heard these shrimp boats myself I wont be so quick to judge if they're working through the night and are noisy they may have a legitimate complaint, also keep in mind that sound really travels across the water.

Sound does really travel across the water. They perhaps should have realized that before purchasing waterfront property. And besides that, this is a short term activity for the greater good. Maybe they don't personally care about the health of the local fish stocks but some of us do. This complaint is petty and akin to you and I complaining about road construction equipment improving our roadways where we are inconvenienced for three weeks a year. This is not a commercial for profit activity going on and those complaining about their short term inconvenience are nothing but pompous wastes of human skin.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You said it Twobits!

It's like buying real estate in the country. Only you hate the fact that cows are actually run in the field behind your house. And now you, the gentlemen farmer of nothing, are offended that the rancher actually makes a living by grazing cattle in a field behind your house part of the year. The mooing! The bs! The flies! Heaven forbid! And now you're trying to get a petition signed to ban cows, in the country.

So you hear the shrimp boats for three weeks of the year? OMIGOD! Take your money and move.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Twobits i agree that this needs to be done i question the fact that it needs to be done through the night if its really that noisy i also question how many people including you wouldn't be on the phone bitchin if you had road construction in front of your home at 2 am i guess its different when rich folk on the water complain not sure why.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

I'm starting to have serious hate towards certain brain dead people in the valley. I'm damn lake front and you know how many times I've complained about noise? ZERO. These fools should have their property seized and sold off.

Entitled rich morons who figure the whole valley should operate around their wants and desires. Looks like I'll be taking my jet boat up there some weeknd for some ripping around.

Man the entitlement and arrogance of some people just infuriates me, make a mental note people, next time theses airheads want anything fight against is as much as you can.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Didn't mean to kick the beehive so hard, but must confess that my thoughts were that those complaining about the noise made by the shrimp boats seemed to care more about the tranquility they desire than the greater good [health of the lake]. I think with a little research, one would find out that these boats take on this activity based on it being able to be completed in a relatively short period of time. I don't imagine they want to be trucking those trawlers over the Coq in November or December. Anyway, the noise is something that reasonably tolerant people ought to be able to deal with rather than making complaints. Maybe the complainers would be happy if the skipper of the trawlers were to call them daily to find out what time they were planning their afternoon naps. Good thing they don't live in Syria.... yeah, call warring factions and tell them to stop all that bombing and gunfire and boisterous stonings and beheadings after four PM... can't have a decent dinner party or a good night sleep with all the racket.
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

All the money in the world can't fix stupid.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

madmudder wrote:All the money in the world can't fix stupid.

oh yes it can, but its illegal.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

People do realize it's possible the complainers aren't waterfront property owners?
http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/commun ... 55709.html
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

LTD wrote:Twobits i agree that this needs to be done i question the fact that it needs to be done through the night if its really that noisy i also question how many people including you wouldn't be on the phone bitchin if you had road construction in front of your home at 2 am i guess its different when rich folk on the water complain not sure why.

The really simple answer is cuz you can't catch them in daylight hours. Mysis spend daylight hours on the bottom of the lake hiding in the detritus. Only when it gets dark do they swim up into the water column to feed on zoo plankton. It is only then that they are vulnerable to being scooped up by the large cone nets.
It is this darkness feeding cycle of the shrimp that caused the experiment of introducing them to enhance the Kokanee fishery failed. The Kokanee fingerlings and larger can't feed on them in the dark cuz they can't see them in the water column, and the shrimp ate all the zoo plankton the Kokanee fry depend on as a food source.

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

That pretty much explains it and justifies the nighttime operation. I wonder if the authorities to whom these people complained, had this specific information to impart? If they continued to complain, knowing this, then they are pretty self-centered people who deserve no consideration whatsoever.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Fancy wrote:People do realize it's possible the complainers aren't waterfront property owners?
http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/commun ... 55709.html

In fact, the people slightly higher up will be impacted by the noise more than those on the lake.

Now everyone get really angry at those who are wealthy enough to live on properties with great lake views.

Also, one works in the day, the other at night.....so much for the feeding time argument.

Finally, it certainly used to be a commercial venture. I don't know about these boats but this has been done for years and the folks that had the contract were using the shrimp for some sort of animal or fish food product.

The reality is that there is little reason to think that it was some sort of horrible lakefront property owner that complained. People complain about noise all the time. They complain about road construction, sirens, helicopters blowing water off cherries, wind machines, aircraft circling above their home, beeping from snow removal trucks in reverse in hospital parking lots, and on and on.

I don't know what the boat/barge sounds like but it obviously is bother someone deep into the middle of the night and they complained to the city. The news media then picked up on it because of complaints......but I think we all know that the media may have sensationalized it just a bit......like is being done here.
You and 71 others Like this post

Return to “North Okanagan”