Vernon BC: City that destroys its heritage

TheBoss
Fledgling

Vernon BC: City that destroys its heritage

Post by TheBoss »

so now that 4500 people want a new rink built, i wonder why they voted yes? Kal tire place is already underused, their has been what one major concert held their? One ore two trade shows, other than that is their any reason to go to kal tire place? I'm not big into hockey so that's out for me. The new arena shouldn't be built in the same location as kal tire, put it down town central so families can use it, it could be used as a community center in the summer time IE roller bladding, maybe a big community dance. I'm disgusted yet another heritage building wants to be torn down by vernon to make way for a "green space" Why not restore the arena, make it into a community hall of sorts where families and the community can come together. Now if someone can convince me why this is a good idea and it's not i'll stop whining. If vernon needs a new slogan for it's welcome sign i got a good one. The *bleep* backwards town, that doesn't have any more charm, but two under used sheets of ice ;)

Well that's my rant, Vernon the community that has lost it's way many years ago.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

RE: Vernon BC: city that destroys its heritage

Post by Dizzy1 »

TheBoss wrote:The new arena shouldn't be built in the same location as kal tire, put it down town central so families can use it,

Lol I just about spit my coffee on my screen when I read that, I was laughing so hard lol!

You do realize, this is Vernon right? It's a 2 minute drive between the two locations and the Kal Tire arena is just as easy if not easier for families from all points in town to access.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
twobits
Guru

Re: RE: Vernon BC: city that destroys its heritage

Post by twobits »

Dizzy1 wrote:You do realize, this is Vernon right? It's a 2 minute drive between the two locations and the Kal Tire arena is just as easy if not easier for families from all points in town to access.

Is that two minute drive via personal vehicle, public transit, or dedicated bike lane?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Vernon BC: city that destroys its heritage

Post by bob vernon »

I wouldn't want to be roller blading in the old Civic arena. The floor has heaved about 4 inches and there are huge cracks. Lacrosse is no longer played there. And about that barn dance on a floor that is heaved in places that badly.......

The infrastructure in this city was neglected so badly for many years. We even had a mayor who drained the reserves that were being built up to use on some of these projects. He and a few on council used that cash for tax cuts. It got them re-elected and us in the place we are now. Next up: the museum and art gallery. And soon. Police station, too. Not to mention the sewer and water line replacement that is ongoing. Heritage requires renewal from time to time.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

twobits wrote:
Is that two minute drive via personal vehicle, public transit, or dedicated bike lane?

How many families take the bus or ride their bikes in Vernon?

But just for comparison, from the downtown transfer exchange, you'd take the number 2 to access the closest stop to the Civic which would take a 10 minute ride. The Kal Tire arena would be accessed by the number 3 and also takes 10 minutes. You could walk from the downtown exchange to the Civic arena, but how many people are willing to do that?

Sorry, but the OPs argument about the Civic being more "centralized" closer to downtown so families can use it is beyond ridiculous.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Dizzy1 wrote:
How many families take the bus or ride their bikes in Vernon?

And that was the reason for my tongue in cheek question. The answer to your question is.....almost none. That then begs the question...."why are communities such as those in the Okanagan Valley, even including Kelowna, spending disproportionate millions of tax dollars on under utilized public transit and hardly used bike lanes in this geography and climate other than for political correctness? We need different investments in transportation than LA, San Fran, and Vancouver.
You are right. No family is going to go skating, to a hockey game, swimming, shopping, school concert, soccer, baseball, whatever practice on a bus or in a bike lane. How stupid is that expectation even if gasoline is 3 bucks a litre?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

twobits wrote:
And that was the reason for my tongue in cheek question. The answer to your question is.....almost none. That then begs the question...."why are communities such as those in the Okanagan Valley, even including Kelowna, spending disproportionate millions of tax dollars on under utilized public transit and hardly used bike lanes in this geography and climate other than for political correctness? We need different investments in transportation than LA, San Fran, and Vancouver.
You are right. No family is going to go skating, to a hockey game, swimming, shopping, school concert, soccer, baseball, whatever practice on a bus or in a bike lane. How stupid is that expectation even if gasoline is 3 bucks a litre?

Families not utilizing transit for specific activities has no relevance of the overall ridership reflected on transit. Vernon Transit has seen steady and substantial increases in ridership over the years.

Return to “North Okanagan”