The price of food in Vernon

Verminator
Board Meister

The price of food in Vernon

Post by Verminator »

It's no exaggeration to say that it gets worse every time we go grocery shopping. $8 for a little 6-inch head of cauliflower or $5 for a pound of broccoli for God's sake? ONE little fryer chicken at Walmart was almost $15 last time I was there, REALLY??? :200: I've noticed 4 litres of milk going for more than $6 at some stores in Vernon, and if that's not gouging, well, I guess I don't know what gouging is. The unwashed masses had better get used to surviving on bread and water at the rate things are going. :-X
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: The price of food in Vernon

Post by Dizzy1 »

I hear ya on that one. Back in the summer I went to the store just to pick up a few things and next thing I know, I had to drop a brown note - I just about had a conniption!

Grocery prices have exploded over the last few years - shopping used to be fun, now its just depressing.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I feel badly for families. Seriously bad for them. There's just two of us here and I work my property like a freaking farm and we still find it crazy out there, a few bags of groceries can't be that much can they? $$$$
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

And a low dollar does wonders for our economy. Manufacturing is not returning but prices of necessities are skyrocketing - great economic management.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Everything comes via trucks. Trucks take fuel. Trucking companies don't pay for fuel as a cost of doing business, they pass it onto the stores via a fuel surcharge. Store isn't paying it either as a cost of doing business. It gets passed down to the lowest common denominator, us, the consumer.
Just telling you, between the rises in fuel pries, natural gas, and electricity, get ready for this to get worse before it gets better. That I guarantee!
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

jamapple wrote:Everything comes via trucks. Trucks take fuel. Trucking companies don't pay for fuel as a cost of doing business, they pass it onto the stores via a fuel surcharge. Store isn't paying it either as a cost of doing business. It gets passed down to the lowest common denominator, us, the consumer.
Just telling you, between the rises in fuel pries, natural gas, and electricity, get ready for this to get worse before it gets better. That I guarantee!

That's the overused excuse we always hear, but fuel prices went down substantially in the last few months so that can't be the reason this time. I understand the California drought's impact on prices but the locally produced stuff is going up just as fast, maybe faster and their transportation costs are minimal by comparison.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

Price hikes are not limited to Vernon, it is all over.
~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Welcome to the world of a low dollar that is great for our manufacturing sector....not!
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Verminator wrote:That's the overused excuse we always hear, but fuel prices went down substantially in the last few months so that can't be the reason this time. I understand the California drought's impact on prices but the locally produced stuff is going up just as fast, maybe faster and their transportation costs are minimal by comparison.

Although I somewhat agree with you, I would also have to say that fuel surcharges are put onto ivoices now, regardless of the "price" of fuel. So, the cost is down ( a little). Do you believe any of the trucking companies have eliminated the fuel surcharge, or do you think they still ring it up on the invoice? I already know the answer, but I would be interested in hearing what you think.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

funny, the one thing that has never gone up in price?...Bananas. 79 cents. how is it hey are the only food item that were not being gouged on. yet you want to buy a local loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter, your dropping a 10
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

The system is not what is a reasonable price to pay with a profit to get it to the markets. The system nowadays seems to be " see how much they can get away with" Bananas still same price. The moment its mentioned price will go up.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Shocked by cauliflower prices lately? Get used to it — the cost of that and other fruits and vegetables will likely continue to spike in 2016, experts say.

Food prices, particularly for produce, are expected to increase next year due to a four-year drought in California and a loonie hovering near 11-year lows.

“In general, the message is that Canadian food prices are rising, they’re rising faster than inflation, and this is especially ironic considering that global food prices are falling,” Evan Fraser, a University of Guelph professor specializing in food security, tells Yahoo Canada News. “At a time of low food prices globally, at a time of low inflation globally, Canadian consumers are paying significantly more.”

In 2014,the Food Institute of the University of Guelph predicted that overall food prices in 2015 would rise by up to 3.0%. As stated in our revised report in February 2015, this prediction was based on a much stronger Canadian dollar versus the American currency. For 2015, overall food price inflationary patterns were consistent with our predictions. However, fruit, nut and vegetable price inflation rates rose at a much higher rate than expected due to a much weaker Canadian dollar. Some products
embedded in other food categories like pasta in grains and other processed foods also pushed prices higher than anticipated.

For 2016, the Food Institute is forecasting food inflation rates across the country to be anywhere between 2.0% to 4.0%.

Categories & Expected Price Increases
Meats - 2.5% to 4.5%
Fish and Seafood - 1.0% to 3.0%
Dairy and Eggs - 0.0% to 2.0%
Grains - 0.0% to 2.0%
Fruits and Nuts - 2.5% to 4.5%
Vegetables - 2.0% to 4.0%
Food from Restaurants - 1.5% to 3.5%
Overall Food Expenditures - + 2.0% to + 4.0%

https://www.uoguelph.ca/foodinstitute/s ... nglish.pdf
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It's all good now because Brazil had a bumper crop of coffee this year, so coffee prices are set to plummet. I'm switching my kids from milk to coffee to save money.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Verminator wrote:It's no exaggeration to say that it gets worse every time we go grocery shopping. $8 for a little 6-inch head of cauliflower or $5 for a pound of broccoli for God's sake? ONE little fryer chicken at Walmart was almost $15 last time I was there, REALLY??? :200: I've noticed 4 litres of milk going for more than $6 at some stores in Vernon, and if that's not gouging, well, I guess I don't know what gouging is. The unwashed masses had better get used to surviving on bread and water at the rate things are going. :-X

I paid $6.99 for a small head of califlower here at Coopers two weeks ago. Get ready, all our veggies frrom USA will be costly!! Best enjoy!

Return to “North Okanagan”