Reasonable Cross Country Skiing in Vernon area

dv7834

Reasonable Cross Country Skiing in Vernon area

Post by dv7834 »

Anywhere close by to go for a ski without paying the ridiculous amounts charged at Sovereign Lake?
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Re: Reasonable Cross Country Skiing in Vernon area

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

I just went and checked prices for x-country skiing and their price doesn't seem super high, it seems right inline with every other nordic facility. Even running it with mostly volunteers....Grooming machines and liability insurance aren't cheap.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Here is one in area were I grew up in http://skilarchhills.ca/
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

The price is reasonable if you are an active skier and can spend several hours out there. I know that a few years back I was recovering from hip surgery and wanted to see if I could ski. I was lucky if I could be out there a half hour. At $12 I found the price too much. I have heard others complain if they want a real short ski because of time or simply their abilities. I don't even know what they charge now? I expect many of us older folks remember the no charge days and then the $5 dollar of yesterday!

(two days later) I was told today that it is now 18 dollars! Quite a lot of money for a short ski and I'm sure will keep many people from going up the hill. Perhaps a 'short day pass' would work but I expect the serious skiers wouldn't care for that as there would be more people on the trails?
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

GordonH wrote:Here is one in area were I grew up in http://skilarchhills.ca/

?????????

The OP asked Anywhere close by

the fuel alone to drive all that way and back would equal all soveren lake charges
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

Several local logging roads are inactive this winter and have good snow coverage.
Snow is gone from the golf courses already so they are tough sliding.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

dontrump wrote:????????

the fuel alone to drive all that way and back would equal all soveren lake charges

Larch Hills is pretty close. If you live in Armstrong, it's almost as close as Sovereign.

On a similar note, it's too bad that some lower elevation spots that get a lot of snow, say like Lumby, don't have any public land that could be used for skiing.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Here is one in area were I grew up in http://skilarchhills.ca/

dontrump wrote:?????????

Since Nodic ski areas are limited amounts in area only other option is the one near Kelowna. If you reread OP Sovereign lake was mentioned in the post.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

like I said if you were to read things correctly the OP was looking in the Vernon area for cheap driving all the way to Kelowna and back will cost more in fuel than the extra amount he tends not to want to spend in the first place
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

don trump wrote:like I said if you were to read things correctly the OP was looking in the Vernon area for cheap driving all the way to Kelowna and back will cost more in fuel than the extra amount he tends not to want to spend in the first place

Since there is only 1, I gave an option.
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Post by Kalvin K »

Do you need a groomed and official area?

I always preferred just heading any direction up in the bush, found a relatively flat area, and strapped on the ski's.

I suppose the challenge of seeing how many KM you can do is appealing, but to me the "fun" of uneven ground, obstacles, hills, and exploring new territory was always much more appealing.

Return to “North Okanagan”