More God-Complex Doctors

metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: More God-Complex Doctors

Post by metallica »

pepsilover wrote:- Underhill Clinic, is that the one across from City Park?

Yes I first saw him in 1973, he still has a practice and told me he would never retire. Won't give up his name but he is not a nice person. As for my records my current doc and her partner have me up to speed and they both are great. Guess what my doc was the one I met in the walk in clinic, he now has his own practice and they are the best and most down to earth people, and she will make house calls. They as a team are the best.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/opinio ... 98661.html

absolutely horrid story that 100% di not need to happen. Only one doc to see this guy and hes at home??
*removed* is going on with our Vernon system ???
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Mar 13th, 2016, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Auto censor workaround.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

My sincere condolences on losing her father.

However, I find this chronicle hard to believe.

So the ER physician was 'at home'? Make the nurses call him! Dad was in a 'room' that supposedly was 'reserved' for patients not needing acute care? BS! Bugger the 'protocols!! I (and my family) would have made such a screaming fuss at the nursing station that they would either have had to summon a DOCTOR or the RCMP!!!!!
Chill
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

dontrump wrote:http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/opinion/letters/371798661.html

absolutely horrid story that 100% di not need to happen. Only one doc to see this guy and hes at home??
*removed* is going on with our Vernon system ???

OMG I just read this story. It is HORRENDOUS. Death by red tape! I hope this woman (Irene Niebuhr) files a complaint with the IHA as well as the College of Physicians and Surgeons, maybe even file a suit against the government. I also hope she goes on the News and tells her story. This SHOULD NOT HAPPEN in our country. 15 hours because of some protocol that the patient and their family is not even made aware of?

I feel so sorry for these people. What a way to have to die. Sad indeed.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

pepsi wrote:

OMG I just read this story. It is HORRENDOUS. Death by red tape! I hope this woman (Irene Niebuhr) files a complaint with the IHA as well as the College of Physicians and Surgeons, maybe even file a suit against the government. I also hope she goes on the News and tells her story. This SHOULD NOT HAPPEN in our country. 15 hours because of some protocol that the patient and their family is not even made aware of?

I feel so sorry for these people. What a way to have to die. Sad indeed.

'PROTOCOLS' be damned!! There are always situations that fall outside ' a system of rules that explain the correct conduct and procedures to be followed in formal situations'.

I would suspect that the nursing station supervisor dropped the ball on this one when he/she did not IMMEDIATELY contact a doctor in-hospital or even 'at home'. Seems like he/she didn't. Why??

Worked for 2 neurosurgeons, more general surgeons and several GPs - when ER called, needed them there - they dropped whatever they were doing - seeing office patients, having a well-deserved coffee break or dictating consult reports and WENT!!

What proof do we have that ANY doctor was called to attend this patient?

What proof do we have that any doctor refused to attend this patient?
Chill
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

we don't. I seriously doubt a person would write such a letter to the morning star and sign thier name if it was not true so I Beleive her
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

flamingfingers wrote:
'PROTOCOLS' be damned!! There are always situations that fall outside ' a system of rules that explain the correct conduct and procedures to be followed in formal situations'.

I would suspect that the nursing station supervisor dropped the ball on this one when he/she did not IMMEDIATELY contact a doctor in-hospital or even 'at home'. Seems like he/she didn't. Why??

Worked for 2 neurosurgeons, more general surgeons and several GPs - when ER called, needed them there - they dropped whatever they were doing - seeing office patients, having a well-deserved coffee break or dictating consult reports and WENT!!

I tend to agree with you. I think somebody did drop the ball on this one as well, so an investigation is in order. The first thing I would be doing is ordering the dead man's hospital records - probably via a lawyer at this point - because I would not trust that the records would be necessarily open and honest at this point.
Like you, I would have been screaming bloody murder if it had been my father (and have!). But some cultures are different and I do not know the people involved.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

The first thing I would be doing is ordering the dead man's hospital records - probably via a lawyer at this point - because I would not trust that the records would be necessarily open and honest at this point.

The very first thing I learned in keeping hospital records was that the record had to reflect 'timeliness' meaning that the record needed to be made "at the soonest possible time of the incident or knowledge of a condition' and that 'what was not writ did not happen'....

If someone dropped the ball here I would not expect the hospital record to be of much value....

We don't even know if a nurse attended this poor man - and even an LPN SHOULD be able to determine that he required physician intervention and made the call her/himself.

There is something rather off-kilter here in the story...
Chill
bornhere63
Fledgling

Post by bornhere63 »

pepsilover wrote:There are some interesting obligations that the physician must do if they 'fire' a patient, one of them being they are to assist the patient in finding a new and suitable physician. That is not happening in this day and age of 'no doctors'. This doctor has not done that. There is much he hasn't done that the College demands of him. I am betting he has not helped her find another doctor, nor has he given her her medical file free of charge. None of that.

Would like to know his name, but yet again, protected species.

I wonder if some doctors choose to become difficult so patients make the decision instead, removing the obligation to find an alternate practitioner.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Or maybe it is to make you smarten up or leave. I know I was in that type of position more than once when we were in business. I did not care which way it went because their business was not worth it. Sometimes the demands they made were just too much and I can only imagine what a doctor might go through. Can you imagine trying to continuously deal with a Hypochondriac. Is it a doctors job to have to deal with these people for years and years?
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

While these types could be problematic for a Doctor it is still a disease that they need to address. If they can't convince the person to seek psychiatric help they can at least prescribe placebos to "fix" their non existent maladies.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Smurf wrote:Or maybe it is to make you smarten up or leave. I know I was in that type of position more than once when we were in business. I did not care which way it went because their business was not worth it. Sometimes the demands they made were just too much and I can only imagine what a doctor might go through. Can you imagine trying to continuously deal with a Hypochondriac. Is it a doctors job to have to deal with these people for years and years?

Doctors are public servants/government workers. They don't get to choose who to treat, just like a welfare worker doesn't get to choose who they give benefits to.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

If doctors do not get to choose, why are we having this 10 page discussion about a doctors choice?
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Hassel99 wrote:If doctors do not get to choose, why are we having this 10 page discussion about a doctors choice?

That's why it's in the news. That's why the discussion is taking place, because it IS unfair/wrong/questionable/in the media.

Curious what the outcome of this situation was.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

pepsilover wrote: They don't get to choose who to treat,

Or

pepsilover wrote: The story is correct though. For those who don't know it, a doctor can kick you out of his practice if he wants to, he doesn't even need a real good reason, the only real requirement is that he give you notice (check out BC College of Physicians and Surgeons, they have sections on Practice and Ethics, it's all there).

So they do get to choose who they treat? but you think its wrong or questionable?

I am going to side with the BC college of Physicians on this one. I think it is perfectly acceptable. :130:

Return to “North Okanagan”