Two dead in Vernon crash

krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Two dead in Vernon crash

Post by krocky »

Two 21-year-old female passengers were pronounced dead at scene.
A 21-year-old male driver from Armstrong is under investigation.
“There is indication that alcohol and speed could have been a contributing factor,” said Moyer, adding the incident is being investigated and names are not being released until next of kin are notified.

Here we go again. Another example of reckless irresponsibility costing young lives. Why is it always the innocent ones who die. These girls were passengers and had no control as to the speed of vehicle or abilities of the idiot driver who was no doubt intoxicated and showing off or texting or who knows what but yet he lived. Yea sure, they had a choice not to get into the vehicle, a choice they didn't live to regret so hopefully others will learn from their mistake. What I really don't get is why the news media and police still call it an accident rather than a collision or crash as their was nothing accidental about it. Hopefully if alcohol was involved some decent charges will be laid. Although this is Canada so doubtful they will amount to much more than a slap on the wrist as we don't put much value on human life in this country. I mean if this kid had driven toward a cliff and jumped out before the truck plunged over killing his passengers it would be murder, plain and simple and no one would argue but if he is found to have been drunk and speeding, it will be considered an "accident" of course and therefore he is not responsible, go figure. Oh yea and don't forget the old bleeding heart response "he'll have to live with it" and that's punishment enough after all not all his passengers are dead. Sorry for the rant but as a father of two daughters this really upsets me and I am sick and tired of our liberal society taking it so lightly. My heart felt condolences go out to the families of the "victims".. !!!!
Last edited by krocky on Mar 7th, 2016, 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Two dead in Vernon crash

Post by Hassel99 »

The word "Accident" means "not on purpose", it has nothing to do with fault, you can be in an accident and still be 100% at fault.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Hassel99 wrote:The word "Accident" means "not on purpose", it has nothing to do with fault, you can be in an accident and still be 100% at fault.

Oh, I see, so he didn't drink or speed "on purpose", thanks that clears everything up.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Your sarcastic jab does not change what the words mean.....

Good luck with your rant.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

It is a sad accident.

I would imagine that the driver was showing them what a good driver he was. And that they weren't thinking straight, otherwise they wouldn't have been in his car.

All you can do at this point is hug your children, and use it as an example of what can happen to them when alcohol, speed, and cars are combined.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

How about alcohol, drugs, speed, distracted driving as in cell phones, combined with vehicles of any type. I also question the "accident", "not on purpose", part. When does being responsible for your actions come into the equation. Does a person not do all or any of the above on purpose and hopefully knowing the possible consequences or they should not be driving.

Condolences to the families and friends of the young ladies killed.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I'm saying this because I was once a 21 year old who drank often, and had friends who partied every weekend.

All sources state that speed and alcohol are likely factors. The fact of the matter is also that all four of those "innocent" passengers likely made the conscious choice to get into a truck with an intoxicated driver at 1:00am on a Saturday night.

I realized early on that getting in a vehicle with an intoxicated driver was really no smarter or more responsible than being the driver myself. I slept on many, many, many spare beds and couches in my days and made my way home the next day.

I know this will come across as "victim shaming" to a lot of people. But I really believe that there isn't enough focus placed on the byproduct of drinking and driving. As long as we're not the ones driving, we're fine right? Sadly, not the case.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Smurf wrote:I also question the "accident", "not on purpose", part. When does being responsible for your actions come into the equation. Does a person not do all or any of the above on purpose and hopefully knowing the possible consequences or they should not be driving.

To me " not on purpose " means it was not his " intention " or his " goal " to kill his friends.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

An accident is the unintentional and unavoidable consequence of a specific action. This was no accident, it was a 100% avoidable car crash caused by the stupid, negligent decisions made that day. There was an almost identical incident that happened in that general area some years back that resulted in 3 deaths and this one unfortunately won't be the last.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Verminator wrote:An accident is the unintentional and unavoidable consequence of a specific action. This was no accident, it was a 100% avoidable car crash caused by the stupid, negligent decisions made that day. There was an almost identical incident that happened in that general area some years back that resulted in 3 deaths and this one unfortunately won't be the last.

Nope,

At no point does the word "unavoidable" enter into ANY doffenition of the word Accident.
Have yourself a good google then come back and let us know what you find.

Stop changing words to fit your narrative.

Accident only means something bad that was not intentional. its why we dont call them an "on purpose"
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

It blows me away that the focus of this thread so far is on the definition of the word accident. That proves what I was saying in the first place. We have become so complacent about death that it is talked about like a normal occurance. These girls are gone, ceased to exist, will never marry, have children, experience all that life has to offer and all because some irresponsible and selfish idiot decided to show off his mucho driving abilities with no regard to the lives he had in his vehicle. He should be locked up like any other murderer but mark my words that won't happen because we call it an "accident" (no matter your definition) and that will excuse his actions.. How sad we have become that we accept this so easily. Perhaps we have become somewhat immune to the reality with all the death and murder on television. I defy anyone to tell me one night when there isn't at least one show on tv depicting death of one sort or another. Sooner or later it just becomes normal I guess and being held responsible for your actions is just a notion of the past. How about discussing the definition of the word MURDERER.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Murder also implies intent to kill. Manslaughter might be the one you are looking for.
ace10brian

Post by ace10brian »

Hassel99 wrote:Murder also implies intent to kill. Manslaughter might be the one you are looking for.

Specifically in this case, vehicular manslaughter.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Still a deliberate action, with known possible consequences. There has to be responsibility. Lives are starting to mean nothing.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Hassel99 wrote:Murder also implies intent to kill. Manslaughter might be the one you are looking for.

This brought back memories of having a discussion with someone who could not wrap her head around the legal definitions of murder vs manslaughter. Nevermind why there are definitions of murder by degrees.

So sad, that there are so many young people not getting the message out there. Don't get in the vehicle if the driver has been drinking. Have a DD. Be the DD. Call a DD.

And a 15 year old died at Stave Lake a few day ago, speed and bad weather and who knows what else.

So many young people dying!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “North Okanagan”