First cop at murder sues

mdpark

First cop at murder sues

Post by mdpark »

So i was reading this and i wondered what you all think..
Castanet - First cop at murder sues

I am not familiar with the original story but one thing stuck out to me while reading that.
He refused a polygraph test.
Now i don't get that at all.. why would an innocent person refuse one ?
Worried about a false positive result maybe ?

The guy is a cop !
He should be ready to take one of those tests any time about anything.

And i am not sure he has the grounds for a lawsuit either.
Even an untrue accusation has to get investigated.. as an investigator he should realize that.

I wonder why someone watching a crime scene would simply go report that a cop threw away a booze bottle ?
Simply because the person does not like Police ? Or that specific one ?
They said in the story too a Bottle was tested for DNA and a sample was taken from him but did not prove anything..
It is interesting though that someone reported that AND they actually found one on the scene to test.

So what do you people think ?
You think he is guilty of drinking on the job and discarded a booze bottle at a crime scene ?
ride365

Re: First cop at murder sues

Post by ride365 »

If you read the statement of claim filed with the court registry it explains much more than the article. It explains the timeline of what took place, the polygraph situation as well as what was reported to be an unreasonable delay in the investigation process (all as reported by the plaintiff - the officer). The Castanet story doesn't really paint the true story of what the claim alleges.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/310981606/No ... ivil-Claim
Thebrewhouse
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Thebrewhouse »

They absolutely sewered this poor man. A polygraph test can not be used in court... To prove guilt or innoncence, so why ever take one? I hope this cop wins his day in court, mismanagement and extremely *bleep* poor treatment of our RCMP.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Further still, a polygraph is not as accurate in determining truth as it's portrayed in movies.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Approached by the defence ...

Theyre hoping to discredit the guy? Nothing like trying to muddy the waters.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

So he threw the bottle when he was about to put his jacket on the victim. But the bottle was found 25m from the victim. 25m is what, 80feet? If I take a couple of steps and hurl a baseball it might go 30m before it bounces. This just doesn't make sense to me. This was a set of tracks a lot of people use as a walkway. That bottle could have come from anyone any time before the murder. This sounds like it was a witch hunt by a boss or two who decided that they didn't like him.

I wouldn't hinge too much on the polygraph thing. With way those interviews are conducted and the way results can be interpreted, I wouldn't do one either.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

I hope this cop wins his lawsuit too...I would sue too if I was being accused of being drunk on the job...and the article states that NO DNA was found on the so called bottle of booze..

and to judge how he handled finding a young girl dead is wrong..the man is still a human being...cop or not..

what would you rather have ?? a cop who has empathy and compassion for his fellow human beings or a cop who feels nothing ??
mdpark

Post by mdpark »

Then why are they doing polygraph tests then at all ?
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

mdpark wrote:Then why are they doing polygraph tests then at all ?

Interrogation tactic.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

FreeRights wrote:Further still, a polygraph is not as accurate in determining truth as it's portrayed in movies.

It is a investigative tool which a investigator uses to uncover the truth. Most people can not fool a educated Polygraph operator.
Likely his lawyer said do not comply with any requests.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

KL3-Something wrote:So he threw the bottle when he was about to put his jacket on the victim. But the bottle was found 25m from the victim. 25m is what, 80feet? If I take a couple of steps and hurl a baseball it might go 30m before it bounces. This just doesn't make sense to me. This was a set of tracks a lot of people use as a walkway. That bottle could have come from anyone any time before the murder. This sounds like it was a witch hunt by a boss or two who decided that they didn't like him.

I wouldn't hinge too much on the polygraph thing. With way those interviews are conducted and the way results can be interpreted, I wouldn't do one either.

so by your statement should everyone no matter what refuse lie detectors ? has a result of a lie detector ever been used to convict anyone in canada ? and lastly if they are so unreliable why do police stations even have them ?
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

reading all the news and storys available it sounds like the guys boss was out to get him "BUT" it sounds like the guy was a alcoholic and most likely had been under the watch of other members
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

maryjane48 wrote:
KL3-Something wrote:So he threw the bottle when he was about to put his jacket on the victim. But the bottle was found 25m from the victim. 25m is what, 80feet? If I take a couple of steps and hurl a baseball it might go 30m before it bounces. This just doesn't make sense to me. This was a set of tracks a lot of people use as a walkway. That bottle could have come from anyone any time before the murder. This sounds like it was a witch hunt by a boss or two who decided that they didn't like him.

so by your statement should everyone no matter what refuse lie detectors ? has a result of a lie detector ever been used to convict anyone in canada ? and lastly if they are so unreliable why do police stations even have them ?

Lie detector is an interrogation tactic. does not mean that they are admissible in court.
He did not have council (because he did not realize at first he was under suspicion).
This is why your lawyer tells you to shut up right from the start. If there is going to be any interrogation or lie detector tests, it should be on advice of lawyer.
This officer was unfairly treated, but that is what investigators do. So I'm not sure he has much of a case. Except for the fact that he was obviously traumatized, but then so is most everyone who comes upon a murder scene. They still might be interrogated while traumatized. That's just how it's done.

Return to “North Okanagan”