Toddlers Hit by Car

gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Re: Toddlers Hit by Car

Post by gordon_as »

Have spoken to a few people who share my opinion , and surprised nobody has expressed a similar opinion here yet. The driver was at an intersection waiting to turn right , probably looking to the left for a break in traffic. When there was an opportunity to go , he did. Yes , he should have looked to the right , but people don't always do exactly what everyone else seems to think they should. I have done exactly the same thing many times , and I am sure some of the people here crucifying the driver have too. Here is what I have NEVER done , walk my child out infront of a car without making damn sure the driver has seen us and knows we are there. More than 1 person made a mistake here.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

gordon_as wrote:Have spoken to a few people who share my opinion , and surprised nobody has expressed a similar opinion here yet. The driver was at an intersection waiting to turn right , probably looking to the left for a break in traffic. When there was an opportunity to go , he did. Yes , he should have looked to the right , but people don't always do exactly what everyone else seems to think they should. I have done exactly the same thing many times , and I am sure some of the people here crucifying the driver have too. Here is what I have NEVER done , walk my child out infront of a car without making damn sure the driver has seen us and knows we are there. More than 1 person made a mistake here.

As a driver your head almost needs to be on a pivot, as well this adult with 3 small kids are not moving very quickly. So as the driver you should be seeing them coming and watch which direction they are heading in, few extra seconds of observation can save one from tonnes of problems.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

GordonH wrote:]

as the driver you should be seeing them coming

Agree with your sentiment , however , every situation has it's own parameters .
http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/str ... nsor=false

The vehicle entered from the right. The pedestrians came out from behind the sign , the bushes , the telephone pole.
Last edited by gordon_as on Sep 12th, 2016, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nasturtium
Board Meister

Post by Nasturtium »

Nasturtium wrote:Doesn't sound as if it was speeding...more to do inattention :-X - just as tragic.
I sincerely hope everyone is okay

gordon_as wrote:Have spoken to a few people who share my opinion , and surprised nobody has expressed a similar opinion here yet. The driver was at an intersection waiting to turn right , probably looking to the left for a break in traffic. When there was an opportunity to go , he did. Yes , he should have looked to the right , but people don't always do exactly what everyone else seems to think they should. I have done exactly the same thing many times , and I am sure some of the people here crucifying the driver have too. Here is what I have NEVER done , walk my child out infront of a car without making damn sure the driver has seen us and knows we are there. More than 1 person made a mistake here.

Any word on how family is coping?
We leak as rivers
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:as the driver you should be seeing them coming

gordon_as wrote:Agree with your sentiment , however , every situation has it's own parameters .
http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/str ... nsor=false

The vehicle entered from the right. The pedestrians came out from behind the sign , the bushes , the telephone pole.

Took a look at that intersection on google maps visible looks good.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Graham Adder wrote:
All I'm suggesting is that we recognize this as fact, and give gman the same space/slack that you Dizzy, would receive from the rational members of this forum.
As you yourself Dizzy have stated, we are all guilty of posting from an emotional standing. Your line lies in a different place on this thread, but in the end it is still JUST an emotional response to something that likely offends us ALL on some level.

Once again, the question was not directed to you - I have no interest in debating your sociological viewpoints, nor do the mods have interest in monitoring our discussion. You weren't asked the question - leave it be.

Your suggestion has been noted and placed where it belongs.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

GordonH wrote:
Took a look at that intersection on google maps visible looks good.

I looked at it too , and I looked at all the orange paint markings on the road from the investigation. Do you even know where in that intersection the vehicle / pedestrians were ?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Took a look at that intersection on google maps visible looks good.

gordon_as wrote:I looked at it too , and I looked at all the orange paint markings on the road from the investigation. Do you even know where in that intersection the vehicle / pedestrians were ?

Based on what reported on Castanet + pic:
Driver was heading north on 43 st. about turn right onto 25 ave. If that is the case and pedestrian with 3 kids was heading east on 25 ave then there is absolutely no excuse. If they were heading west on 25 ave not much of an excuse since wide open gas station lot.
Last edited by GordonH on Sep 13th, 2016, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

you must look in the direction of travel before proceeding. pretty simple
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Not making light of this situation but even when you are totally paying attention, stuff can happen.

I was with a buddy a million years ago in C town on a Sunday before the days when stores were open on Sundays (yes, that long ago) so traffic was all but non-existant. We were stopped at a light wanting to turn right and there was a guy who wanted to cross the atreet we were on in front of us.

He saw us, we saw him. He waved us through, we waved him across. We paused, he paused. He went, we went. we knocked him down. He gets up and we must have looked horrified cuz he waved at us and gave us a thumbs up and proceeded to walk across the street. He moved, we moved. We knocked him down again.

Nuff said.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

And sometimes you have to look to see if someone is coming from behind your direction of travel. Poop happens......people make mistakes. People get hurt. People get killed. Happens every day and has been since cars were invented. Doesn't mean it's easy for those affected but it does happen and this is not an unusual situation.
I hope all are well.
You and 71 others Like this post
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Dizzy1 wrote:Once again, the question was not directed to you - I have no interest in debating your sociological viewpoints, nor do the mods have interest in monitoring our discussion. You weren't asked the question - leave it be.

Your suggestion has been noted and placed where it belongs.

Just trying to open an opportunity to grow (up). But if you insist on being a knob, fly at 'er.

Why don't you attack gman some more, "tough guy".
See the absurdity in that?
Probably not.
Carry on, Dizzy (new self proclaimed spokesperson for the Castanet mods).
:sleepdeprived:

:topic:
I've had a look at the intersection in street view too. It does seem like a relatively easy intersection to get through, trouble free. That said, as has been pointed out, stuff happens in the blink of an eye. Sometime fatigue, stress or incidental inattention is only recognized after the fact. In this instance, the fact was that there were serious injuries as a result of that mishap.
I recall driving from Kelowna to Smithers a few years ago. It was after having woke up at 5a.m. to work at 6 a.m. until 4 p.m.. I then got home and had a few things to do, like pack. It was 8:30 p.m. by the time I left home. I got as far as P.G. before I started to hallucinate. It happened twice in close time. One was a family of bears crossing the road. I slowed to look at them, but there was nothing to look at. Moments later I saw coyotes running in the ditch alongside of me. I thought, "No way." and I was right. Nothing there.
I pulled into the next parking lot, which was a closed business. I was shocked that I was that tired and had not taken note. I was just driving. Yet...
That was one of those times I could have EASILY hurt someone through my actions. From the outside looking in, I'd have slammed myself for driving so tired, or for not pulling over once I realized I needed rest, etc., etc..
I didn't notice I was "gone", but clearly I was. How many kilometers back I had checked out is anyone's guess.

I wasn't there this day to see what went down at that intersection, but I surely can't imagine it was just a case of someone not caring. I'm quite sure the person behind the wheel would give anything to turn that clock back. Perhaps they wouldn't have driven after that long shift/bad news of a loved one/dealing with a sick child.

I really hope this story ends as well as can be. Full recoveries for all would be a good start, since wishes are all I have.

Return to “North Okanagan”