Trappers blast clear cutting

Mark5
Board Meister

Trappers blast clear cutting

Post by Mark5 »

I have to agree that our forests are being seriously damaged around here. Out of site, out of mind. Note the constant and continual procession of logging trucks coming here to the mill. These people would cut down every tree if they could with no thought for the future or for the earth. Most people are completely unaware of what is happening. If you check out Google earth, you can see the damage. Many of those images are not up to date. The forest industry claims that they replant and replace trees. But what they replant is even-aged mono cultures that they plan to harvest at around 70 years old. This is referred to as the rotation age. No longer will there be any natural old age forests left like there were before. The only older trees they will not cut down are the ones on steep slopes and many forests that are along highways. They want to create the illusion that there are still large forests. But just on the other side of that ridge that you see from the highway is death and destruction. Every time I see a loaded logging truck coming into town I feel sadness and a bit of outrage. I used to work in the forest industry and witnessed a lot of waste. There should be an investigation. Where are all the investigative reporters? I guess they are more interested in politics and the entertainment industry.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: Trappers blast clear cutting

Post by LTD »

you have no clue stop fear mongering
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Funny, I feel the same way about the act of trapping. I think it's cruel and should be banned... The logging industry, IMO is monitored and controlled very well. We need to take advantage of the amazing renewable resources we have at our doorstep. Really sorry these guys can't go trap defenseless animals.......
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

ya a logging block goes through a guys trap line and suddenly the whole industry should be shamed over it I'm not a big fan of trapping either I think its somewhat cruel for an animal to die that way but I don't shun them for it. Forestry is renewable and despite what some want you to think replanted trees are ready for harvest in 35 ish years not 70 and trees are being replanted constantly.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Op is full of it.

Ban trapping, hug a logger.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

First off I see that some of you have absolutely no idea what we as trappers do out there. BC trappers are strictly regulated under very humane trapping regulations. We have very large investments in our Registered Traplines. We are harvesting an annually renewable resource. With these investments we are compelled to harvest furbearers on a sustained yield basis. We are "stewards of the land" with more concern for all wildlife and environmental concerns than probably any other group. We are the eyes on the land when all wildlife is most vulnerable in the winter and report adverse wildlife conditions when we see them.

Now just to be clear we are not opposed to logging provided it is carried out with concerns for the land base, riparian zones, and wildlife. I happen to have a background in forestry in service training being only three semesters away from a foresters degree at a university should I have chosen to do that. I chose instead the route of Forest Protection (wildfires and disease).
What I am seeing now is large cut blocks in mature spruce on my trapline area, all mostly adjacent to main roads and previously cut over areas. There are no wildlife corridors being left, riparian areas such as small creeks do not have reserves. There is supposed to be coarse woody debris left in the form of small piles or small windrows which is where the bottom of the food chain begins. Most get burned by uninformed burn crews.

With BC Timber sales I do not have a five year plan. Notifications are sent with links to internet maps which do not work or maps on such a small scale that the cut blocks are just a small red marking on a map. I have to take some blame for not being more proactive relative to this. We do not receive compensation for our improvements, just move them and relocate them. That is about to change now that they are recognized as improvements on which we have spent both time and money.
The Forest Practices Board has advised us we have legitimate claims as well as auditors have now awarded claims where improvements have been destroyed. My list goes on relative to inadequacies and how we are walked over as a tenure on the land. A tenure by the way which is older than the timber tenures.

Industry cut thousands of hectares of pine under the beetle program resulting in a gross quota overcut. At stumpage prices which are almost an embarrassment to the people of BC i might add. Some mills in the province were built larger and improved to handle this overcut. Most employ less man power than they did before, as do the forest operations. A block can be harvested with as few as three people.

I recognize the need to clearcut in spruce or spruce/pine stands but now we are seeing clear cutting of fir stands which should be selectively logged as in the past.

Our main forest road infrastructure has gone to hell in a handbasket. No maintenance except for perhaps bridges. Many have not seen gravel since the Forest Service turned them over to industry. They are just flattened out or snow plowed when logging is taking place. The pot holes get filled with dirt and pound out with the first rain. Many side roads we and hunters or other recreationalists could travel before are in some cases impassable after logging. Drive the 201 North of Big White Road or roads such as the one to James Lake or Browne Lake. A few years ago the government had to step in to improve the 201 South when traffic had to use it as a detour because it was so bad.

Right now we have an over surplice of wolves, one pack of 11 that was withing 6 Km of the city of Kelowna. How many of you traveling these forest roads even know about that. We as trappers know it as we forever have our eyes on the roads and trails for sign. It is obvious, if you talk to most hunters, that this increase in wolves has drastically effected the population of ungulates in the area. Ranchers are loosing cattle on the range. Trappers are the only ones that can control these populations. Again we do not want to kill all wolves but do want to control or help balance the population. Let nature take it's course and these critters are coming to town.

We do not want to go to war with the forest industry however we do want some recognition for our concerns as a licensed tenure and resource user on the land.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Very well and thoughtfully written, Trapp.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

who do you think maintains and builds those roads, and I have seen animals in traps half alive its not pretty and certainly not humane, and no logging is done in riparian areas as that equates to a substantial fine get some of your facts straight and rest assured if it wasn't for logging those bush roads you drive on would get no maintenance at all .
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

lightspeed wrote:Very well and thoughtfully written, Trapp.

x2

Thanks Trapp. While I didn't agree with all of your points.....I would like to thank you for the very informative post and it has made me think about the other side of the coin from your perspective.

Exactly what forums like this are for in my opinion. Some people are so quick to reply to topics without really thinking issues through from all sides, its no wonder there are post counts around here in the high thousands! Or to stubborn and prideful to consider any opinion different than their own.

I learned something today.....Thanks for taking the time to write that.
Cheers!
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

LTD wrote:who do you think maintains and builds those roads, and I have seen animals in traps half alive its not pretty and certainly not humane, and no logging is done in riparian areas as that equates to a substantial fine get some of your facts straight and rest assured if it wasn't for logging those bush roads you drive on would get no maintenance at all .

exactly , trapping is torture and any trap i see gets made to be unusable .
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

maryjane48 wrote:
LTD wrote:who do you think maintains and builds those roads, and I have seen animals in traps half alive its not pretty and certainly not humane, and no logging is done in riparian areas as that equates to a substantial fine get some of your facts straight and rest assured if it wasn't for logging those bush roads you drive on would get no maintenance at all .

exactly , trapping is torture and any trap i see gets made to be unusable .

You do know that is a criminal offence, right?
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The Wildlife Act is pretty clear (see 46)
http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/ ... 0_96488_01
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

maryjane48 wrote:exactly , trapping is torture and any trap i see gets made to be unusable .

Interference with traps
46 A person who knowingly damages or interferes with a lawfully set trap commits an offence.

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/ ... #section46

Obstructing licensed persons
80 A person commits an offence if the person interferes with or obstructs a person licensed or permitted to capture wildlife or to hunt, fish, guide or trap while that person is lawfully so engaged.

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/ ... #section77
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.

Return to “North Okanagan”