55+ Considering Job Transfer to Vernon??

prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: 55+ Considering Job Transfer to Vernon??

Post by prairieflower »

If your choices vary between Vernon and Kelowna, why not look just outside of Kelowna to Westbank (West Kelowna). Less expensive than most of Kelowna and the commute is not bad at all. I work at the hospital and live in Glenrosa (south end of Westbank) and my commute 95% of the time (working various shifts) is only usually 20 mins. We have all the amenities of Kelowna but less people.Good luck!
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

prairieflower wrote:If your choices vary between Vernon and Kelowna, why not look just outside of Kelowna to Westbank (West Kelowna). Less expensive than most of Kelowna and the commute is not bad at all. I work at the hospital and live in Glenrosa (south end of Westbank) and my commute 95% of the time (working various shifts) is only usually 20 mins. We have all the amenities of Kelowna but less people.Good luck!

From West Kelowna to Vernon? That is further away from where they are now.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

Deb4jc2 wrote:Thanks so much. Can you expound on why not Vernon? We actually have a choice between Vernon and Kelowna but looking at the real estate prices in Kelowna felt Vernon area was a better fit. Lake Country has always been my number one pick! I love that little town.

My response was too this quote, as Deb had mentioned having a choice between Vernon and Kelowna . :smt045
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

Bsuds wrote:
Deb4jc2 wrote:Lake Country real estate is as high as Kelowna (almost) and it's out of our price range. If only we'd jumped 2 years ago!

Then unless the transfer includes a large pay increase and only 10 years left to retirement I would stay where I am. Unless you want to retire here.

You know what Bsuds? You win the prize! Best comment ever! :) It seems like very poor timing to be transferring. We don't have to transfer. We can stay right here. Or transfer in a year. This is why I wanted real people's feedback. I appreciate everyone's responses more than you know. Hearing the real deal from the ground floor helps. Real Estate listings don't tell the whole story!
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

prairieflower wrote:If your choices vary between Vernon and Kelowna, why not look just outside of Kelowna to Westbank (West Kelowna). Less expensive than most of Kelowna and the commute is not bad at all. I work at the hospital and live in Glenrosa (south end of Westbank) and my commute 95% of the time (working various shifts) is only usually 20 mins. We have all the amenities of Kelowna but less people.Good luck!

Initially, we were looking in Westbank but even there the prices have gone up since last year. We've had this move on the table for a couple of years. Wished we'd known and moved on it back then!
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

Then unless the transfer includes a large pay increase and only 10 years left to retirement I would stay where I am. Unless you want to retire here.[/quote]

Good advice. Compare cost of transportation + moving + PTT. With is Vernon the place that you want to spend your retirement years?[/quote]

We have a huge pull of grandkids in Kelowna, so yes, that is where we'd like to retire. However, we learned a long time ago not to move for kids/grandkids but to move for yourself first, because kids/grandkids can and DO move a lot.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Hi there,

I would strongly vote for Lake Country based on cost vs location/amenities.
Lake Country is only 10min away from Kelowna, yet costs about 10-20% less.

Vernon is the hub in the North Okanagan, but has not much going for amenities and is almost the same price as Lake Country.

Lumby is inexpensive but there is a reason why. Almost nobody will live there unless you are from there. Poor schools (although not likely a concern for the OP), few amenities, and lots of drug users. Even though Lumby is only 10-15min from Vernon it really feels like you are in the middle of nowhere. I'd choose Lavington over Lumby although Lavington is almost the same.

Armstrong is nice, somewhst rural feel though. Fun events happen in Armstrong like the IPE.

The North okanagan does not have many employment opportunities. Lose your job and you will be severely limited in terms of other employers, but you will be stuck with a house located where it might prove tough to find another equal job.

Kelowna is a great choice if you can afford it (maybe 10% more expensive than Lake Country) but much more to choose from in terms of real estate inventory.

Others mentioned West Kelowna which is also a great option. Similar to Kelowna but less affordable. Beautiful area that is very nice in the summer. Lots of water around!

Avoid Lumby, Falkland, Cherryville, Beaverdell... there is a reason why they are priced as low as they are.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

If Vernon, here are the nicer areas:
Turtle Mountain ($$$, beautiful city and lake views, low maintenance homes, smaller yards)
Middleton Mountain ($$, good sized single houses with a yard, some homes have nice views)
East Hill ($, not much in terms of views, some houses with decent yards, centrally located)

Another good option is Bella Vista. Slightly more rural but some areas are nice and get good sunlight. Feels slightly separated from Vernon but is close

Avoid:
Mission Hill (also known as hospital hill), close to the hospital
Alexis Park
Anything downtown or close by
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

Scrobins94 wrote:If Vernon, here are the nicer areas:
Turtle Mountain ($$$, beautiful city and lake views, low maintenance homes, smaller yards)
Middleton Mountain ($$, good sized single houses with a yard, some homes have nice views)
East Hill ($, not much in terms of views, some houses with decent yards, centrally located)

Another good option is Bella Vista. Slightly more rural but some areas are nice and get good sunlight. Feels slightly separated from Vernon but is close

Avoid:
Mission Hill (also known as hospital hill), close to the hospital
Alexis Park
Anything downtown or close by

There's no point in suggesting Middleton and Turtle Mountains again as the OP has already mentioned that those places are out of their price range. Having said that, I'm gonna toot Harwood's horn once more. It's a nice area, the homes here are modest but well kept and much more affordable. It has location going for it, there are schools, churches, parks, walking trails, shopping of all kinds, restaurants, you name it, all within easy walking distance. We almost never go downtown because everything we need is so close by.

I agree that the Bella Vista area is nice and you might want to take a look at the Rainbow City area between Tronson and Bella Vista Roads not far from the airport. It's a hilly area but well established with lots of trees but it can be somewhat pricey.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin

Return to “North Okanagan”