Vernon is becoming Mini Surrey *RANT*

slimebucket

Vernon is becoming Mini Surrey *RANT*

Post by slimebucket »

This is gunna be a kinda big post, as it displays my frustration of the Vernon area from my point of view. I grew up around here, and up until 2010 time, Vernon was a fun family friendly place to be. But now its so scary.. like I mean down town Surrey scary. I don't expect anyone to care, or change, and I am mainly writing this to get frustration off my chest. I am trying my hardest to just ignore the problems, not let them get to me, and just get over it. So if you want to post comments like suck it up boo hoo i feel\ ya. But the problem I am getting at is not just about my feelings, its about how Vernon as seriously become a dangerous place to be, and I feel it all started around 2010.

Seriously. I have been a professional driver in Vernon since around 2007 and, back then Vernon was an amazing town. Could stay up late, go to the beaches, walk home, always feel safe.

Now a days I cannot go 2 hours without someone attacking me, screaming at me, a bum in town going off the handle when I refuse to give change, bad drivers try to play mr Citizen police and park in front of your car to force you to stop so they can yell at you for not letting them in, or not speeding for them. People in BIG trucks are especially bad. I get yelled at on a daily basis when I AM FULLY INSIDE MY LANE by people in trucks who want more room. Instead of honking or waving or putting any effort to show they suck at driving and need to drive into my lane in order to make their turn but then park beside me and scream and yell at me for being dangerous.

Yesterday some guy cut me off at the top of hospital hill and then slammed on his brakes trying to trick me into rear ending him. I then passed him in the left side lane doing the speed limit. Half way down the hill he went behind me and tail gated me, as i guess he was upset that I passed him right after he cut me off. But then someone put their left blinker on and swerved in front of me without shoulder checking. So I had to slam on my brakes. Not my fault idiot behind me was tail gating me.

He then followed me all the way down 32st. He then RAN a red light, as I went through it when it was yellow, and he was at least 3 car lengths behind me, and he pulls up beside me near the KFC and starts screaming and yelling at me. I got kinda rude with him as he never honked or anything, but now he wants to scream at me and my girlfriend on her birthday. So I told him to screw off, and rolled up my window. He then proceeded to try and FORCEFULLY turn infront of me, not for the intent of going into my lane, but to stop my car. I then turned into a gas station parking lot, and went around the corner to avoid him.

I deal with getting yelled at, old people really angry all the time, crack heads in town all crazy bothering people, I got mugged in POLSON PARK at 1pm, people dying from drug overdoses, suicides, in fact while working I watched a girl run out from Polson Park onto hospital hill and lie down in front of a semi.

Everyone in Vernon is going bat *bleep* crazy. Everyone. Everyone is getting mean, selfish, and hateful. Everyone is so hateful about trump, about refugee situation, about absolutely everything. I see all these protests happening protesting HATe, yet all they are doing is... well... hating!

I have worked in this town for years and years serving people, yet when I try to find a place to rent I am discriminated against because people don't think a driving job is "legitimate" or its "easy money" well I deal with the most horrible *bleep* I have ever dealt with in my life having do work in Vernon. I used to Work in VANCOUVER and I saw less crazy *bleep* than I do in Vernon. I had to quit the night shift because I was so scared of Vernon.

The bi law are really horrible. Every year I hear from so many tourists that bi law in this town are the worst of anywhere ever. I got a ticket once running into a place to get chance, only for them to have an old lady who has to count nickels and the teller taking a long time, still was not 15 minutes, probably around 10 minutes, but already had a *bleep* ticket. Yet they let all the bad drivers go. Cops even let people cut them off, not signal, and nope, no pulling over, nothing. I know the police have a hard job and I respect what they do, but it is kind of frustrating when I drop a water bottle at home, it breaks and water goes everywhere getting everything wet, and my girlfriend yelling at me because shes mad I got all the fresh clean clothes wet, gets the cops there RIGHT AWAY, but when we called the cops at the exact same address that someone is breaking into our car at that very moment, (we live like 2 blocks away from the police station) they refused to check it out.

I never thought growing up I would fear letting my kids play outside in Vernon. When I was growing up I thought Vernon would be the greatest place on earth to raise kids. Now I am terrified of leaving my home.

I just want to make it clear, to people like that guy that chased me down and tried to be a CITIZEN POLICE, do not do *bleep* like that. That is scary. You scared the *bleep* out of my girlfriend, and in somewhere like Surrey or America, they could have a gun and think you are trying to rob them and shot you. You are fricking insane to park your car on a HIGHWAY, HOLD UP TRAFFIC ON A HIGHWAY, and proceed to play mr IM GOING TO TEACH YOU A LESSON.

Why is it the moment the oil rigs close down, now town is full of HUGE trucks, driven by people who chase people down and scream and yell at them?? I am sorry you lost your HIGH paying jobs, that you didn't save and now have nothing just like the rest of us, but dear god please stop ruining life for the rest of us because you are angry with life.

Don't even get me started on how angry the elderly around here always are considering they have people doing literally EVERYTHING for them. Everyone just seems like they are always mad with a problem. This town is seriously an unfriendly place now.

*END OF RANT
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Vernon is becoming Mini Surrey *RANT*

Post by Merry »

Wow; I don't live in Vernon but I go into Vernon regularly to shop and/or dine out. And while it's not my favorite place (a bit dumpy in my opinion) I've never encountered the kind of situations you describe.

Sure, I've seen a lot of bad drivers, but that's "par for the course" anywhere you go these days. Kelowna is also full of bad drivers, as is just about any other town you care to visit. Not sure why. But I wouldn't say that Vernon is any worse than most.

I'm sorry you've had so many negative experiences, but I think you've just been very unlucky. Because the kind of things you describe are not typical of life in Vernon. At least, not for me. Mind you, I wouldn't walk through Polsen Park after dark and stuff like that. But, providing you avoid places like that, I'd say Vernon is about the same as most cities it's size. No better, no worse.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I've lived in Vernon for a very large chunk of my life. Its always been unfriendly. The city it self is confusing, it never seems to know what direction its moving in. Road design and planning really makes one scratch their heads. The homeless problem has become ridiculous over the last 10-12 years.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Merry wrote: I'd say Vernon is about the same as most cities it's size. No better, no worse.
Thought the OP was describing downtown Kelowna or West Kelowna - sounded identical to me. I like Vernon better than Kelowna and have never had a problem unique to that city nor does anyone else I know that lives there.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

The bi law are really horrible. Every year I hear from so many tourists that bi law in this town are the worst of anywhere ever.

I thought sexuality laws were resolved in Canada. Is it actually illegal in Vernon to be bi? How would they know?

You would think they would have a bylaw against this sort of thing?

But, regarding the other complaints, I find that people often make their own luck. I've had virtually none of the above happen in Vernon so maybe it's not the city.......could your actions or attitude be a contributing factor?
You and 71 others Like this post
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

People in BIG trucks are especially bad. I get yelled at on a daily basis when I AM FULLY INSIDE MY LANE by people in trucks who want more room.
I'm surrounded by big trucks on a daily basis and have NEVER been yelled at or even honked at. Maybe just concentrate on what you are doing, be a defensive driver, anticipate others and go about your business. Works for me.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I've lived and worked here since 1982. I've always liked living here and have never encountered the problems in the rant. Was this rant designed to whip up some kind of membership drive for the Sons of Odin or the Soldiers of Odin or some other vigilante group? There will always be some group trying to convince us that "it's bad and getting worse", but it's nowhere near as bad as what the ranter describes. Have you been to Surrey lately? Now some parts of Surrey are bad.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 11th, 2017, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 11th, 2017, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to off topic post
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I just can't see one person having so much trouble when so many people LOVE Vernon. I've walked downtown many times and not once been accosted like I have in Kelowna.
Yesterday some guy cut me off at the top of hospital hill and then slammed on his brakes trying to trick me into rear ending him.
How does anyone know what the guy was trying to do? I'm thinking he changed lanes (maybe inappropriately) and realized he's speeding so put on the brakes (I see that a lot on that hill). Never know if police are waiting to ticket you further down. It's only 50 km and too many people are flying down there. I wouldn't say it's a "trick" to get rear ended - that would be foolish and dangerous and I've never ever seen that happen. Why take a chance on ending up in the hospital (even though it's right there)?
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

I get the distinct impression we have a problem amongst us here ? just really have that feeling
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

This post belongs in the Central Okanagan forum where all everyone does is complain about how bad it is over there.

Vernon isn't perfect, but there are plenty of worse places to be living.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Lots of nice people in Vernon.

I think the biggest problem the city has is the 1st impression it leaves on people. Most people see Vernon from Highway 97. Far as I'm concerned, HWY97 is the ugliest route you could take through the city.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I don't know about that - it's pretty in the winter with all the lights.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

In between the persons with mental health issues, bad drivers, police issues, or by law issues, did you notice to beautiful parks, the fantastic downtown, the views, the wonderful people helping each other all over the place, or the fact that 99.9 percent of people that live in Vernon are kind, helpful, generous people?

Time to fill up that glass with happiness instead of focusing on the bad. Vernon is wonderful and the people are too. :up:

Return to “North Okanagan”