Costco

lineguy

Re: Costco

Post by lineguy »

I heard that the City of Kelowna wouldn't permit them to put in a gas bar, because it would hurt the other operators that already have artificially high gas prices.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

lineguy wrote:I heard that the City of Kelowna wouldn't permit them to put in a gas bar, because it would hurt the other operators that already have artificially high gas prices.

I seriously doubt that the city council involves itself in the free market system of gasoline retailing
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

The Kamloops Costco is also on the complete opposite side of town. It would definitely be a longer drive to Kamloops. From salmon arm it's probably identical but if they move it to airport it would be closer.
Funny people from salmon arm and Kootenay have memberships but other poster won't drive 35 minutes:) You only go every 2 weeks. It's Costco that 10 pounds of nutmeg will last a year:)
I still will only believe it when it happens.
TYCORPPREZ

Post by TYCORPPREZ »

I've talked to Admin at the Kelowna Costco last year.
"unofficially" Yes the plan is to move to a location "near" the airport end of town
as the current location is too small to support the needs of the area and are at capacity.
They want a gas bar on location as well.

I asked when and was told its a 4-5 year goal.

I think that will be great for those north of Kelowna as now the "Costco run" will be faster and should help the gas price
trickle effect north for competition. Too bad for the new gas station going in at the airport as I'm sure airport gas prices would be fair :biggrin:
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

I've never heard more talk about an urban legend than a new Costco. It's city council, they have already started infrastructure, my brother's cousins dog knows the management, it's a go, it's a goal to start in 5 years which could be 10 or never.
I'll believe it when it's built.
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

jasond_71 wrote:I've never heard more talk about an urban legend than a new Costco. It's city council, they have already started infrastructure, my brother's cousins dog knows the management, it's a go, it's a goal to start in 5 years which could be 10 or never.

Isn't he your cousin too, then???
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

See its mind boggling:)
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

sulchie wrote:
jasond_71 wrote:I've never heard more talk about an urban legend than a new Costco. It's city council, they have already started infrastructure, my brother's cousins dog knows the management, it's a go, it's a goal to start in 5 years which could be 10 or never.

Isn't he your cousin too, then???

No that's his other brother. This Costco rumour really gets interesting. Live in the south end of the valley and the rumour was/is that Costco has been snooping around Penticton for property. Logic is this location would trap a large amount of traffic from the Kootenays, South Okanagan, Similikameen and Northern US thus relieving Kelowna of the crazy amount of traffic they get. I see both ... a new location to the north in Kelowna which would service Kelowna, the north Okanagan and Shuswap and then the Penticton location which services said areas above. Just a rumour ... so please no one lose sleep over this one. And for the record I have no relatives or friends who work at Costco.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

rookie314 wrote:Yes they are looking to build an new store with a gas bar. The location is across from the Kelowna Airport in the Pier Mac site. The city of Kelowna is giving them an extremely difficult time in making this happen. I have this on good authority, i.e its not a rumour.

The City gives everyone a hard time so nothing new there. Costco needs to relocate to the industrial area east of the hwy where there is already mega sized industrial buildings.
I was at Costco on Saturday at 3:00 pm and there were no parking spaces and I did 2 rounds of the parking lot before I gave up.
Many aisles of the parking lot were choked with drivers attempting to find a parking spot, I could see I did not stand a chance so I left to do other shopping at BB at OPM.
Since Kelowna is a Regional Hub, it makes sense to have such facilities as Costco located in an area of easy access from all sides, jamming it into the Airport business park is not the best place. There is plenty of land around on which to place a building like Costco, except for the ALR which is the fly in the ointment. Too bad an ideological political decision has usurped orderly community development.
Waste not

Return to “North Okanagan”