Hwy 97 Fatality

falklandjack

Hwy 97 Fatality

Post by falklandjack »

It was only a matter of time before a fatal accident occurred at this location. I recently drove through this area to visit a local business, the traffic was slowed down to a snails pace while passing the Log Barn. Widening the Hwy. or install a turning lane/ merge lane is drastically needed. I am surprised that a lot more accidents aren't happening in that area. People drive to fast!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Hwy 97 Fatality

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 9th, 2017, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

impo both Log Barn & Starlight Drive-in need left turn lane (not a short turning lane either) with a flashing amber light.

Eventually hwy 97a will be 4 laned up near Enderby. Could be big issues 4 laning past the drive-in.
Last edited by GordonH on Aug 9th, 2017, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

falklandjack wrote:It was only a matter of time before a fatal accident occurred at this location. I recently drove through this area to visit a local business, the traffic was slowed down to a snails pace while passing the Log Barn. Widening the Hwy. or install a turning lane/ merge lane is drastically needed. I am surprised that a lot more accidents aren't happening in that area. People drive to fast!

With the time of night the accident took place, I'm not sure this has much to do with it However, I agree completely that this stretch of road needs a turning lane-especially in the summer with all the tourists flocking into that log barn.

I believe that stretch of road is 90, and with the popularity of that attraction there is always someone turning in there where you have to be careful going from full speed to a dead stop.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

My condolences to the Family and Friends of the person who lost his life in this accident.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Entering Enderby is a bit of a death trap too with that market and crosswalk where Tim Hortons is.
If your first time coming through despite the speed signs it's easy to speed through and tourists love these markets and also arent paying attention.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

jimmy4321 wrote:Entering Enderby is a bit of a death trap too with that market and crosswalk where Tim Hortons is.
If your first time coming through despite the speed signs it's easy to speed through and tourists love these markets and also arent paying attention.

Very true, south Enderby Mall could use a walking underpass.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I'm failing to see what someone walking on the side of a busy highway at night has to do with The Log Barn or the drive-in. It happens on single lane roads and on multilane roads with wide shoulders.

Loki2u wrote:I believe that stretch of road is 90

100km/h
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ just pointing out 2 traffic issues on that stretch of highway.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:^^^ just pointing out 2 traffic issues on that stretch of highway.

Fair enough, but in all honesty, how many accidents, let alone serious accidents, happen on that stretch of road, specifically by the aforementioned businesses? As far as this accident is concerned, it can happen anywhere, anytime.

Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not trying to argue with you or anything like that. But in all honesty, given the amount of traffic going in and out of those businesses (which again, has zero to do with this accident), its actually a fairly quiet road.

Just as the OP said, he drove through, went down to a snails pace and guess what? Nothing happened. The visibility is fantastic on that road, lots of nice clean straight stretches and long visible curves.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:^^^ just pointing out 2 traffic issues on that stretch of highway.

Dizzy1 wrote:Fair enough, but in all honesty, how many accidents, let alone serious accidents, happen on that stretch of road, specifically by the aforementioned businesses? As far as this accident is concerned, it can happen anywhere, anytime.

Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not trying to argue with you or anything like that. But in all honesty, given the amount of traffic going in and out of those businesses (which again, has zero to do with this accident), its actually a fairly quiet road.

Just as the OP said, he drove through, went down to a snails pace and guess what? Nothing happened. The visibility is fantastic on that road, lots of nice clean straight stretches and long visible curves.

I've been on that stretch of highway heading south with northbound traffic backup past that little mill that advertising flooring. Simply because people were trying to get into the drive-in.
Not as long of backups trying to turn left into Log Barn

The highway from Sicamous to Armstrong has not changed since I was a teenager, the amount of traffic has grown hugely. As I've mentioned earlier I do expect 4 laning to continue, problem will happen just south of Enderby. First problem will be First Nation Graveyard & land owned on both sides of 97a.... second buying up property in Enderby to 4 lane 97a.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:I've been on that stretch of highway heading south with northbound traffic backup past that little mill that advertising flooring. Simply because people were trying to get into the drive-in.

So, how many major accidents has that caused? I'm in that line turning left into the drive-in several times a season - never seen any issues what so ever.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:I've been on that stretch of highway heading south with northbound traffic backup past that little mill that advertising flooring. Simply because people were trying to get into the drive-in.

Dizzy1 wrote:So, how many major accidents has that caused? I'm in that line turning left into the drive-in several times a season - never seen any issues what so ever.

Sooner or later accidents will happen, since the number of very impatient drivers has grown.
So instead of having these backups, just install left turn lane... issue solved.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

Dizzy1 wrote:I'm failing to see what someone walking on the side of a busy highway at night has to do with The Log Barn or the drive-in. It happens on single lane roads and on multilane roads with wide shoulders.

From an update to the original article ...
It appears a Vernon man may have been walking in the northbound lane of Highway 97A when he was struck by a pickup that killed him Tuesday night, according to the RCMP.

The crash occurred around 10:30 p.m. on the highway near Stepney Road in Enderby.
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.

Return to “North Okanagan”