Sorry if ever seen jaded, hard, or upset on these forums

Sorry if ever seen jaded, hard, or upset on these forums

Postby slimebucket » Sep 13th, 2017, 11:43 am

If i seem hard, callus, mean, jaded, or *bleep* off, I apologize.

I grew up in Vernon, and I used to walk everywhere. I used to be involved. I used to go to POLSON PARK all the time.

Now, I refuse to go to polson park as I was mugged at 1pm RIGHT IN THE OPEN in broad daylight there. Every park has had needles found. Last year my son missed some school, first because needles found in the yard, then one day there was tons of blood outside the front of the school as someone was stabbed there the night before.

I used to work nights. First delivery driving, then taxi driving. Since 2010, this town has gotten so scary at night I was forced to change to only ever working days. Every day I work I am reminded how the town I used to love is now scary, full of strange people with mental problems that NO ONE is doing anything about, not any churches, or the town, or the peoples families of those on the streets,

Im reminded about how Vancouver shut down all its methadone clinics and now all the people that used them now live here. I'm reminded about just how little Vernon seems to care about its citizens. Everything they do is to make money. Funastic deals with NO local vendors, but gets everyone to come in from out of town. All events here cater more to the out of town tourists then the citizens that run the town.

Rent prices are crazy high, considering there is no decent industries here. there is no oil rig type jobs, or anything. The only good paying jobs are those selling things to tourists, serving tourists, or something to do with tourists. If you make a company around here to serve VERNONITES, it tanks!

Also, I need to say a word about peoples driving. I honestly have done custormer driving in Vancouver, and I get more fustrated driving in Vernon. J Walks, Elderly pedestrians, people not blinkering, people not letting people in, people driving under the speed limit, people blocking intersections when there is grid lock traffic, man this town has the worst driving ever.

I Do not know what can be done. I really hope this town gets better as this is where I grew up, but lately I just feel that people like me are not welcome here. Vernon only wants rich people above the age of 55 here (every place for rent is prejudice it seems to people under 55) I have been looking for a place to rent for over 5 years. Its unbelievable.

So if on the forums I get a little heated, or riled up, I apologize. I am on a tipping point where I love this place because I grew up here and want to stay, but I am afraid to leave my house, and have been living like a hermit for the last few years, trying to ignore this town. I feel I cannot leave my house without having someone yell at me, go crazy on me, cut me off, get angry with me because I am following road rules (i honestly had someone freak out on me for not running a red light) so I am seriously considering moving away.

Something about Vernon makes people incredibly selfish. Its brutal. You try to ignore it and not let their selfishness bother you, but you cant. I can't at least. Every time I work, fill up my gas, get groceries, get water, go for a walk, go to a park, EVERY TIME I DEAL WITH SOMEONE with a problem with me, or someone breaking road rules, people being rude to me when I have done nothing wrong. Like when walking down the road people dont even make attempt to get out of your way, or to say excuse me, or ask please, they just stare at you like your bothering them and they want you to move, yet they wont even ask, they just think looking at you *bleep* off will work.

It honestly seems like everyone in vernon is trying to troll others. Like they have nothing to do, so they take enjoyment out of trolling people. Picking on people, bothering people.

There is no organization at all in this town from the high ups. Events here are a joke, layout is wonky, bus system sucks, no one does anything about homeless problems, rental crisis, traffic is so crazy now, construction everywhere, no planning, no routes, worst snow removal I have ever seen in my life, we have the most churches per population (look it up in the Guinness book of world records) yet none of the churches even TRY to help the homeless.

I have a frustration with this town I cannot even describe. It's like watching a loved one become a crack addict and there is NOTHING you can do about it.

Because_They_Lie likes this post.
slimebucket

Liked in: 11 posts

Re: Sorry if ever seen jaded, hard, or upset on these forums

Postby Loki2u » Sep 13th, 2017, 12:00 pm

No need to apologize....those are your experiences and you are welcome to them.

It's all about perspective though. I too was born and raised in Vernon and while things have changed over the years, I can tell you my experiences are definitely NOT the same as yours. Your statements about organizations not helping the homeless as an example are just not true. You are painting the town with a very broad brush.

Is it perfect? Absolutely not, but being in a social work related field....I too deal with these people you describe every day and looking for the good in them goes a long way. I'm sad to hear you no longer help the homeless, but perhaps if you were helping without expectations....you may still find yourself willing to be supportive.

Vernon is no different from any other town-if you're looking for the bad....you will find it. If you are looking for the good, you will find that too.

Every community is what you make of it.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-

Because_They_Lie likes this post.
Loki2u
Fledgling

Liked in: 264 posts

Postby Because_They_Lie » Sep 13th, 2017, 3:02 pm

slimebucket wrote:If i seem hard, callus, mean, jaded, or *bleep* off, I apologize.

I grew up in Vernon, and I used to walk everywhere. I used to be involved. I used to go to POLSON PARK all the time.

Now, I refuse to go to polson park as I was mugged at 1pm RIGHT IN THE OPEN in broad daylight there. Every park has had needles found. Last year my son missed some school, first because needles found in the yard, then one day there was tons of blood outside the front of the school as someone was stabbed there the night before.

I used to work nights. First delivery driving, then taxi driving. Since 2010, this town has gotten so scary at night I was forced to change to only ever working days. Every day I work I am reminded how the town I used to love is now scary, full of strange people with mental problems that NO ONE is doing anything about, not any churches, or the town, or the peoples families of those on the streets,

Im reminded about how Vancouver shut down all its methadone clinics and now all the people that used them now live here. I'm reminded about just how little Vernon seems to care about its citizens. Everything they do is to make money. Funastic deals with NO local vendors, but gets everyone to come in from out of town. All events here cater more to the out of town tourists then the citizens that run the town.

Rent prices are crazy high, considering there is no decent industries here. there is no oil rig type jobs, or anything. The only good paying jobs are those selling things to tourists, serving tourists, or something to do with tourists. If you make a company around here to serve VERNONITES, it tanks!

Also, I need to say a word about peoples driving. I honestly have done custormer driving in Vancouver, and I get more fustrated driving in Vernon. J Walks, Elderly pedestrians, people not blinkering, people not letting people in, people driving under the speed limit, people blocking intersections when there is grid lock traffic, man this town has the worst driving ever.

I Do not know what can be done. I really hope this town gets better as this is where I grew up, but lately I just feel that people like me are not welcome here. Vernon only wants rich people above the age of 55 here (every place for rent is prejudice it seems to people under 55) I have been looking for a place to rent for over 5 years. Its unbelievable.

So if on the forums I get a little heated, or riled up, I apologize. I am on a tipping point where I love this place because I grew up here and want to stay, but I am afraid to leave my house, and have been living like a hermit for the last few years, trying to ignore this town. I feel I cannot leave my house without having someone yell at me, go crazy on me, cut me off, get angry with me because I am following road rules (i honestly had someone freak out on me for not running a red light) so I am seriously considering moving away.

Something about Vernon makes people incredibly selfish. Its brutal. You try to ignore it and not let their selfishness bother you, but you cant. I can't at least. Every time I work, fill up my gas, get groceries, get water, go for a walk, go to a park, EVERY TIME I DEAL WITH SOMEONE with a problem with me, or someone breaking road rules, people being rude to me when I have done nothing wrong. Like when walking down the road people dont even make attempt to get out of your way, or to say excuse me, or ask please, they just stare at you like your bothering them and they want you to move, yet they wont even ask, they just think looking at you *bleep* off will work.

It honestly seems like everyone in vernon is trying to troll others. Like they have nothing to do, so they take enjoyment out of trolling people. Picking on people, bothering people.

There is no organization at all in this town from the high ups. Events here are a joke, layout is wonky, bus system sucks, no one does anything about homeless problems, rental crisis, traffic is so crazy now, construction everywhere, no planning, no routes, worst snow removal I have ever seen in my life, we have the most churches per population (look it up in the Guinness book of world records) yet none of the churches even TRY to help the homeless.

I have a frustration with this town I cannot even describe. It's like watching a loved one become a crack addict and there is NOTHING you can do about it.

Thanks for sharing :)

I know how you feel, more so from having lived most of my life in Kelowna, it truely is worse than Vernon imp.

I have made attempts to live in a number of different communities within BC and Alberta - it is the same everywhere.

I believe it is our system that is the problem- the root of it anyway.

People are just so caught up in themselves and our values are falling.

When those who do come together to change important situations within communities they are often net with strong and long term opposition. Its a struggle to change things - unless you are our corrupt government.

I say its going to hell in a handbasket - the whole world.

I agree with Loki however, life is up to you - your perception of others and your attitude.

The point of power is with you.

All the best to you slimebucket :)

Loki2u likes this post.
Because_They_Lie
Fledgling

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby dontrump » Sep 13th, 2017, 3:55 pm

although I think I understand some of your anger I don't agree with a lot of your points;; if the medium wage is any where near as bad as you like to think then whos buying or has bought the last 3000 house,s in Vernon at between 500,000 and 1,000000.00
plus dollars in the last 10 years ? gosh go to turtle mountain, middleton mountain, the foothills etc etc every house there is 650K +++ everyone there has a new wake boat and jacked up new 4x4 or fancy SUV etc travel trailers snowmobiles etc
so to me in my opinion theres lots money in Vernon
dontrump
√úbergod

Liked in: 498 posts

Return to North Okanagan