Homeless Camp

Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Homeless Camp

Post by Rider59 »

Chyren wrote:How can we explain to the people that live in that area and use the bike lanes and do business there that there's no money for the homeless and the programs to treat the drug issues but we do have money for programs bringing people into Canada?

This is not me bashing immigration and refugee claims, because we need people coming here, its just a point that why do we focus so much on people coming to Canada and forget the people that are born here?

It's a percentage game. Which group is more likely to become productive members of society? Which group is more likely to remain a burden?
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

properly landed immigrants not a problem, bs fast tracked refugees big problem
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Chyren wrote:How can we explain to the people that live in that area and use the bike lanes and do business there that there's no money for the homeless and the programs to treat the drug issues but we do have money for programs bringing people into Canada?

This is not me bashing immigration and refugee claims, because we need people coming here, its just a point that why do we focus so much on people coming to Canada and forget the people that are born here?

How did we forget the people born here in Canada? Tell me how this gets fixed

What the hell does this have to do with immigration and refugees? Good try.
hillsnvalleys

Post by hillsnvalleys »

For the police to be able to do anything with these people, they need to be able to give them an option. The city needs to set up a place close to the downtown area for them. They would be required to register to stay, there would be facilities for them and set up some video surveillance to deter crime. If they don't want to register, they can leave town. One thing citizens can do to help the situation is NOT GIVE THEM MONEY, they don't use it for food. Give money to the mission or salvation army instead. If nothing changes, next year will be interesting!
lilaann

Post by lilaann »

As a resident of the downtown/West Vernon area, I feel we are under siege. It appears that the homeless have somehow obtained more rights than those of us law abiding, tax paying citizens. This "do little" attitude that our mayor and council appear to have is rapidly degrading an entire section of town and certainly our home evaluations will be plummeting. The idea that "camping" during specified hours is allowable is simply a joke! This "rule" is being followed by dismantling the tents.....the belongings are still very much in evidence as are the occupants for the remaining hours of the day. Please, please, don't allow this situation to continue.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

lilaann wrote:As a resident of the downtown/West Vernon area, I feel we are under siege. It appears that the homeless have somehow obtained more rights than those of us law abiding, tax paying citizens. This "do little" attitude that our mayor and council appear to have is rapidly degrading an entire section of town and certainly our home evaluations will be plummeting. The idea that "camping" during specified hours is allowable is simply a joke! This "rule" is being followed by dismantling the tents.....the belongings are still very much in evidence as are the occupants for the remaining hours of the day. Please, please, don't allow this situation to continue.

I would be curious as to which right you are specifically jealous of?

Right to be cold and hungry?

If your cranky about camping, maybe write a letter to the people who allowed it. The BC supreme court.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

lilaann wrote:As a resident of the downtown/West Vernon area, I feel we are under siege. It appears that the homeless have somehow obtained more rights than those of us law abiding, tax paying citizens. This "do little" attitude that our mayor and council appear to have is rapidly degrading an entire section of town and certainly our home evaluations will be plummeting. The idea that "camping" during specified hours is allowable is simply a joke! This "rule" is being followed by dismantling the tents.....the belongings are still very much in evidence as are the occupants for the remaining hours of the day. Please, please, don't allow this situation to continue.

i agree 100% kelowna is not much better, we now have people getting murdered in these pop up homeless camps, staff in kelowna and vernon city hall are all cowards afraid to make any kind of decision because they might offend some bs politically correct group, all kelowna and vernon city hall do is come on the news once a year to announce that the are putting together another bs task force to look into it ---, taskforce is another secret word for we got some of are friends jobs---

any local saw this problem coming well over 10 years ago, the real question is why have are local elected :cuss: politicians done nothing
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 18th, 2017, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 18th, 2017, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to off topic post.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

the truth wrote:we now have people getting murdered in these pop up homeless camps,

There was a shooting in Polson Park.

The bylaw comes in the wake of a shooting in the camp which triggered calls for safety changes

https://globalnews.ca/news/3685464/vern ... ess-camps/

All that's happened is pushing homeless into neighbourhoods.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Chyren wrote:
How can we explain to the people that live in that area and use the bike lanes and do business there that there's no money for the homeless and the programs to treat the drug issues but we do have money for programs bringing people into Canada?

beats the hell outta me been asking that same questions for years;; I think any Politian that actively supports
refugee immigration and ignores the plight of the homeless in Canada are scum bags in their own right
now some homeless are there because that's what they want believe it or not
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Homeless people have discovered that they have political power. They can set up their camps in very public places. If the police or Bylaw show up to move them, they know that a bunch of tv cameras and do-gooders with cell phones will show up and make a big deal about it. Of course, the do-gooders don't want the homeless setting up a camp in their backyard.

If you give them housing, I bet they'll destroy it. They can't care of themselves, much less an apartment. It's kind of a no win situation.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

sad but true
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

techrtr wrote:Homeless people have discovered that they have political power. They can set up their camps in very public places. If the police or Bylaw show up to move them, they know that a bunch of tv cameras and do-gooders with cell phones will show up and make a big deal about it. Of course, the do-gooders don't want the homeless setting up a camp in their backyard.

If you give them housing, I bet they'll destroy it. They can't care of themselves, much less an apartment. It's kind of a no win situation.

Fortunately Vernon council has voted to put an end to park camping. Should make for an interesting spring.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#209843
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

...so happy for the citizens of Vernon; it was a crappy situation :thumbsdown:
Non illegitimi carborundum est.

Return to “North Okanagan”