Flaggers needs manners

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Flaggers needs manners

Post by Fancy »

Gixxer wrote:TCP dont have time to listen to Joe Public. Their job is to keep traffic moving. Who knows the exact circumstances in this. Maybe hurt feelings guy was in the middle of the line up and stopped the flow of traffic to voice his concerns.

Maybe the flagger should file a hurt feelings report and stop being a "snowflake". I didn't see any traffic in the photo.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Gixxer wrote:TCP dont have time to listen to Joe Public. Their job is to keep traffic moving. Who knows the exact circumstances in this. Maybe hurt feelings guy was in the middle of the line up and stopped the flow of traffic to voice his concerns.

Perhaps the flaggers have exactly the same problem you have.

Not being aware of the priorities of their job.

First priority,, numero uno, job one ..... SAFETY, not, "keep traffic moving"

To that end they should have listened. Period.

Excusing their action by suggesting that they get insulted and verbally abused at times, is ridiculous.

Gixxer : I posed these questions to you before, that you did not answer
How about an answer ? :

So you are the flag team's boss, you are advised that your staff displayed incorrect signage that created a possible danger.

You are advised that a concerned citizen attempts to advise two different flaggers of this situation. Each flagger is verbally abusive, to the extent of threatening to damage private property of the citizen if he doesn't comply with demands, all without determining the content of the citizen's concerns.

Taking into account that, yes, at times these "professional" flagger are subject to abuse, although not from this concerned citizen, would you conclude that their actions were perfectly appropriate and in line with proper procedure ?

How should this concerned citizen advise someone in authority of this signage problem, by letter to the companies head office ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Guess the flagger failed this part:
Receive and communicate specific instructions clearly, firmly, and courteously.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

So Joe Public stopping in a construction zone with moving equipment and with out PPE on is safe?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Gixxer wrote:So Joe Public stopping in a construction zone with moving equipment and with out PPE on is safe?

Didn't look like much of anything was moving.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Doenst matter a construction zone is a construction zone.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

So the signs should be right and if not they should be reported and corrected immediately.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

They couldve been in the middle of changing them. Where you there personally to witness all this?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Gixxer wrote:They couldve been in the middle of changing them.
lol - not a soul around.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

dontrump wrote:Bad Flaggers are like Bad cops theres always one in the group but we cant condemn a whole circle of people
over one bad apple type thing;; :130:

I must agree with you and the rest get painted with the same brush.

My observations of the flag company here in Kelowna is generally good. On the odd occasion I see a problem as lack of attention to their responsibility. I was trained to direct traffic and I think the cellphone has created problems as texting is distraction from their task at hand.

Sadly the men and woman who are on the construction crew are depending upon the flaggers. I think some attention needs to be placed in that area. There is a time for texting and times where you should wait until your break.

I sure do like the Valley road gal, she's got a smile that makes my day!! Dark hair and the most infectious smile one could have!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Gixxer wrote:They dont get paid to smile

You are correct, but it goes a long way as it might just brighten the guy or gals day when they are upset they were held up a little longer then anticipated.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

The wind storm today (Tuesday 17 Oct) created problems in many locations. In Summerland a portion of the city was without power because of a tree down across lines on Prairie Valley Rd.

I won't go into the geographic details, but suffice to say the location of the problem was at a location at which there was no viable detours excepting retracing travel by 2.5 km. Then travel the same direction on a parallel street. The reason for the 2.5 km detour was because there were no other streets that lead between the blocked Prairie Valley Rd to the parallel street, Dale Meadows Rd in the vicinity of the fallen tree.

But that happens.

The remarkable point is the flagger that could multi task. She appeared to be late 50ish, likely not an easy life, but she was there sending cars to turn right and in a big circle, no instructions, just an angry look, but she could hold her "Stop/Slow" sign, smoke a cigarette AND text and make the face ! Well done.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Purchasing Services

Post by Purchasing Services »

I'd say; we do not need flaggers. We need two way light signals operated by equipment operators or even an automatic. Show me another developed country using such archaic "technology". Two or more people doing job that should cost basically nothing.
Oh! maybe this is the way BC is creating valuable jobs?
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

For a quick job like fixing a downed power line flaggers are ideal.
There are some living in most communities that can be on site quickly rather than find locate the mobile stoplights a"then dragging them out and setting them up.

However I agree with you on long term projects.

If only the lights could notify others when a driver is flying past the red light, endangering others lives like a human can.
( a run over flagger can't warn others either )
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

The issue with a system like stoplights what prevents a impatient driver from jumping the line and driving through a work zone?

Return to “North Okanagan”