Vernon homeless shopping carts

drex1999
Board Meister

Vernon homeless shopping carts

Post by drex1999 »

In Vernon, police are taking shopping carts from the transients and returning them to the stores, one of which lost $15,000 worth of them this year. In Kelowna, they built lockers for the transients to store them in.

Somebody got it right and somebody got it wrong Kelowna
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Vernon homeless shopping carts

Post by gman313 »

drex1999 wrote:In Vernon, police are taking shopping carts from the transients and returning them to the stores, one of which lost $15,000 worth of them this year. In Kelowna, they built lockers for the transients to store them in.

the stolen shopping carts are a symptom of a problem. Taking them back, setting up storage shelters or anything else related to storage won't solve the problem
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

The shoppers pay for them in increased cost of groceries. Nice.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Catsumi wrote:The shoppers pay for them in increased cost of groceries. Nice.

yep and as taxpayers any damage to public property, cleaning up the urine and feces, increased bylaw and police in the park.

Individuals are stolen from and have property damage as well.

All of these are symptoms - solve the homeless problem the issues noted above almost go away, put a bandaid on the shopping cart problem and nothing changes.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

I call BS on the $15,000 loss.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

gman313 wrote: solve the homeless problem the issues noted above almost go away,

Solve the homeless problem how ? give them all a place to live ? You will just end up with a list of new problems.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

gordon_as wrote:I call BS on the $15,000 loss.

At around $800 each does not take much to add up, just google it.

19 shopping carts go missing, you got $15,200
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Premier Carts model 6240 large metal shopping cart starts at $150 with reduced pricing for quantity orders.

https://premiercarts.com/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

I guess this issue is OUR fault.........
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

If by "our", you mean society in general, then BINGO! If we insist on cutting all the supports for the disadvantaged so we can cut the taxes on the rich, then this is what you get.

Punish these people further? There isn't much else that the world can do to them.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

gordon_as wrote:
gman313 wrote: solve the homeless problem the issues noted above almost go away,

Solve the homeless problem how ? give them all a place to live ? You will just end up with a list of new problems.

i'm going to suggest most petty theft and the stolen shopping carts are being done by the homeless. If they aren't homeless the thefts should go down
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

oneh2obabe wrote:Premier Carts model 6240 large metal shopping cart starts at $150 with reduced pricing for quantity orders.

https://premiercarts.com/

Doesn't matter if a cart is $800, $180 or 50 cents - theft is theft and it costs the businesses, which in turn, costs us money.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
hillsnvalleys

Post by hillsnvalleys »

Businesses shouldn't be expected to supply shopping carts to anyone! These are stolen items! By allowing this, these people will think that if they want something, they can just take it with no ramifications, I would imagine that most of the bicycles were "borrowed " also. The city and police need to follow the laws and bylaws like they do with the people that reside here. My solution to the cart theft problem is for the mission or salvation army to purchase some carts, label them and if someone needs a cart, they can sign it out. This would give the homeless person an option when the police take the carts back. The city needs to be proactive, next year will be far worse if nothing is done.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

drex1999 wrote:In Vernon, police are taking shopping carts from the transients and returning them to the stores, one of which lost $15,000 worth of them this year. In Kelowna, they built lockers for the transients to store them in.

I think they need to locate Bubble's chop shop sounds like he's busy strippin carts.
Attachments
Bubbles.jpg

Return to “North Okanagan”