I urge anyone in Vernon who's not happy to move to Calgary.

stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: I urge anyone in Vernon who's not happy to move to Calga

Post by stuphoto »

I am thinking out loud here,

If it is so hard finding an driving job here, why do I keep on getting offers?
I haven't dropped off a resume in years.

Plus I have never had an issue finding a place to live.

On a side note,
If I was to try moving to Revelstoke I may have problems ( I love the place, so I was curious and looked for both rentals and jobs )
However that is why I did my research.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Personally I quite like Vernon (although I actually live in Armstrong, Vernon is close enough that I do a lot of my shopping and socializing there). Calgary's not a bad place, but I find the traffic a bit of a "zoo". Mind you, I think the same thing about Kelowna - nice place to visit but too much traffic for me to want to actually live there. Vernon is a nice compromise; big enough to have the stores and services that I need, yet small enough to still be friendly and reasonably easy to get around.

This guy sounds as though he has a bit of a "chip" on his shoulder, but if he's happier living in Calgary then that's where he needs to be.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

We had someone apply for a job from the email address slimebucket69@....., and given the email address alone, it went in the trash.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Tome_23

Post by Tome_23 »

good luck finding a job tho and enjoy the -30 temps
i lived there for 35 yrs
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Glacier wrote:We had someone apply for a job from the email address slimebucket69@....., and given the email address alone, it went in the trash.

:spitcoffee:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Yeah, and you can imagine the landlords getting emails from slimebucket.......gee, I’m sorry but it’s already rented.

Some people’s kids.
You and 71 others Like this post
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I just arrived in Calgary in my tour bus during the evening rush hour today.
It probably took me 10 minutes just to get through one traffic light.
Thankfully they have the odd HOV lane making my job easier.

Not to mention arriving in the -20 temperatures.

Slimebucket, no offence but if you honestly like driving in this city you are CRAZY.
I'll take Vernon any day over Calgary.

I will be here over the weekend, and think that I'll let someone else do the driving.
There is even a small chance I'll hop in your cab.
manager_in_vernon

Post by manager_in_vernon »

I lived in Calgary for 14 years and your posting is full of BS! The people in Calgary are just as rude if not ruder than anyone in Vernon. All the immigrants that live their act as though they are better than everyone else! The rents may be a bit cheaper for NOW, but just you wait. The greed in Calgary is abundant, just like it is in Vernon! The homeless problem and drug addicts that line the downtown area in Vernon is NOTHING compared to the homeless and drug addicts in Calgary! I grew up here in Vernon and moved away to Calgary because I too thought it would be better there! Moving back here was a big mistake, but I would never ever move back to Calgary ever!!
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

manager_in_vernon wrote:I lived in Calgary for 14 years and your posting is full of BS! The people in Calgary are just as rude if not ruder than anyone in Vernon. All the immigrants that live their act as though they are better than everyone else! The rents may be a bit cheaper for NOW, but just you wait. The greed in Calgary is abundant, just like it is in Vernon! The homeless problem and drug addicts that line the downtown area in Vernon is NOTHING compared to the homeless and drug addicts in Calgary! I grew up here in Vernon and moved away to Calgary because I too thought it would be better there! Moving back here was a big mistake, but I would never ever move back to Calgary ever!!

why was it a mistake moving back here? I assume your basing that remark on your personal requirements verses the over all average opinion ? I moved here when I was 11 Iam 67 now if I went through life again it would be vernon all the way
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

manager_in_vernon wrote:I lived in Calgary for 14 years and your posting is full of BS! The people in Calgary are just as rude if not ruder than anyone in Vernon. All the immigrants that live their act as though they are better than everyone else! The rents may be a bit cheaper for NOW, but just you wait. The greed in Calgary is abundant, just like it is in Vernon! The homeless problem and drug addicts that line the downtown area in Vernon is NOTHING compared to the homeless and drug addicts in Calgary! I grew up here in Vernon and moved away to Calgary because I too thought it would be better there! Moving back here was a big mistake, but I would never ever move back to Calgary ever!!

The reality is, whenever and wherever we move, we have to take ourselves with us. Got a mirror?
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling

Post by Ptolemy Soter »

If you can’t be happy in any given situation (or place), then it’s time to critically re-examine your life and your potential faults.
I am... the law!
username_71

Post by username_71 »

Vernon is a sh## hole. Who would want to live there anyway?
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

username_71 wrote:Vernon is a sh## hole. Who would want to live there anyway?

About 60,000 people. Most of whom probably really like it.
You and 71 others Like this post
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

username_71 wrote:Vernon is a sh## hole. Who would want to live there anyway?

Well for starters, it sounds like you don't live there,
That sounds like a good thing..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Years ago at a job interview for a job in an isolated area up north I was offered free housing for my family and asked what I thought of moving there. I answered something like sounds good we should enjoy it there for the length of the job. The interviewer answered you will enjoy it there, it will be what you make of it. Enjoy your new job. I've remembered that ever since and it has always proved true. I find it even works when we travel for a short or long time. You get out of it what you put into it.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “North Okanagan”