People leaving cars unlocked with valuables in them....

dle
Lord of the Board

People leaving cars unlocked with valuables in them....

Post by dle »

Seriously? Are there really people who think any part of doing this is a good idea in this day and age of thieves looking for ANY opportunity to steal anything and everything they can get their hands on?

WHY would anyone leave wallets, laptops etc in their vehicle even when locked?? Even the trunk is iffy - a friend had her trunk broken into and her purse stolen at a golf course and after reporting it found out she wasn't the only one.

Best not to leave anything important in the car unless absolutely necessary and then at least attempt to hide it well and lock the thing! And no, stuffing your wallet into the door pocket or console doesn't constitute "hiding" it!. First place they look once they get into the vehicle....make the thieves work a little for their (YOUR) loot....

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#211418
alanjh595
Banned

Re: People leaving cars unlocked with valuables in them....

Post by alanjh595 »

Another thing that you should hide is your insurance papers, (lock them in your trunk). When somebody does break in, they now have your address and the garage door opener. They know you are not at home and the electronic key to the biggest door in your house.
AND lock your car and take the keys with you inside your house, even though it is parked inside your garage. If your car is stolen from inside your garage, one of the first things the police will ask you is, "Can you account for all of your car keys".

Bring back the LIKE button.
gilwell

Post by gilwell »

dle wrote:Seriously? Are there really people who think any part of doing this is a good idea in this day and age of thieves looking for ANY opportunity to steal anything and everything they can get their hands on?

WHY would anyone leave wallets, laptops etc in their vehicle even when locked?? Even the trunk is iffy - a friend had her trunk broken into and her purse stolen at a golf course and after reporting it found out she wasn't the only one.

Best not to leave anything important in the car unless absolutely necessary and then at least attempt to hide it well and lock the thing! And no, stuffing your wallet into the door pocket or console doesn't constitute "hiding" it!. First place they look once they get into the vehicle....make the thieves work a little for their (YOUR) loot....

I'm sick and tired of the Police, the system and the public blaming the victims when someone "Breaks In" to their vehicle. You don't blame the victim when some breaks in to their home and steals their property!

I guarantee that almost all of the perpetrators are multiple offenders that we give a slap on the wrist and let them out to do it again and again.

My "Locked" vehicle should be treated the same as my "Locked" home, this is my property and as such anyone breaking into it is a thief and should be punished and not allowed in out public to repeat the same crimes over and over.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Locks only keep honest people out. If a thief wants in, he/she will find a way in.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If people would stop to think they wouldn't do this!

Sure no one will see me get out of my car in a busy parking lot and put my purse in the trunk! The thieves sit there just waiting for people to do that ferchristsakes!

As soon as you are on the first tee or wherever they are in your car and gone.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

gilwell wrote:
dle wrote:Seriously? Are there really people who think any part of doing this is a good idea in this day and age of thieves looking for ANY opportunity to steal anything and everything they can get their hands on?

I'm sick and tired of the Police, the system and the public blaming the victims when someone "Breaks In" to their vehicle. You don't blame the victim when some breaks in to their home and steals their property!

I guarantee that almost all of the perpetrators are multiple offenders that we give a slap on the wrist and let them out to do it again and again.

My "Locked" vehicle should be treated the same as my "Locked" home, this is my property and as such anyone breaking into it is a thief and should be punished and not allowed in out public to repeat the same crimes over and over.

You're sick of people telling you to lock your vehicle? Wow. The reason why people need to is REALITY! In a perfect world it would be nice that people respected closed doors but they don't. The reason why police and others beg you to lock your property is because as soon as something is taken people report it. That's the real world.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

gilwell wrote:My "Locked" vehicle should be treated the same as my "Locked" home, this is my property and as such anyone breaking into it is a thief and should be punished and not allowed in out public to repeat the same crimes over and over.

It would be nice if that were the case but unfortunately it's not so you need to be smart and not leave valuables in plain sight.

Our neighbours purse was stolen off her kitchen table because the window wasn't closed all the way and someone reached in and grabbed it.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote:It would be nice if that were the case but unfortunately it's not so you need to be smart and not leave valuables in plain sight.

Our neighbours purse was stolen off her kitchen table because the window wasn't closed all the way and someone reached in and grabbed it.

Same thing happens to receptionists. They put their purse under their desk in a reception room, any stranger can walk in, grab it and be gone before knew what had happened.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

gilwell wrote:

In a perfect world people wouldn't steal from others...thieves are opportunists and if you give them that opportunity they will take it in a New York minute. I totally agree there are no consequences and weak sentences or slaps on the wrist just continue to encourage criminal behavior. Having said that, since we know it is not a perfect world and being "sick and tired" of the way the legal system works doesn't do a damn thing, if we don't want our stuff stolen we have to take some part in at least TRYING to thwart the theft.

Also, don't drive with your purse sitting on the passenger seat next to you and the window even partially open - report of a thief on a little bike coming alongside, reaching his arm in and grabbing the purse at a red light and he was gone in the blink of an eye.

Your "locked" home or RV aren't safe either - nothing is safe - crook wants in, he's getting in - the cops don't even come out anymore - say that's what insurance is for even if that doesn't cover everything. No wonder that is skyrocketing...

Do you hear much of a hue and cry to the MLA's to change the bloody laws to get some teeth into them? Nope, me neither - I can't hear a damn thing so I guess we are to blame for that too. Complacency gets us nowhere so I guess we better start squawking loud and clear at the ballot box.
gilwell

Post by gilwell »

Chyren wrote:You're sick of people telling you to lock your vehicle? Wow. The reason why people need to is REALITY! In a perfect world it would be nice that people respected closed doors but they don't. The reason why police and others beg you to lock your property is because as soon as something is taken people report it. That's the real world.

No, I didn't say I'm sick of people telling me to lock my car, I always lock my car same I always lock my house.
I'm sick of people blaming the victim since in most cases the thief is a repeat, multiple offender we keep releasing so they can steal again.
Yes this is the real world we live in, but this is wrong and we should accept it as being normal. The repeat, chronic offenders, career thieves, need to be dealt with much more severely and the punishment for these crimes much more severe to deter this kind of "petty" crime. You ask the victim if it's petty to them.
Last edited by ferri on Nov 13th, 2017, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Here is a case to prove my point.
CRIME: BREAK/ENTER AND THEFT

DATE: October 27, 2017

RCMP FILE: 2017-64969

West Kelowna RCMP were called to a residence on the 2000 block of Hihannah Drive in the Shannon Lake area on October 27th when items were discovered missing from a garage. Video surveillance at the home showed two suspects broke into the owner’s BMW parked in the driveway and then used the remote to access the garage. The male and female suspects made several trips to a large white sedan (likely a Chrysler 300) with the stolen goods. Items taken from the garage include a stand-up Stanley tool kit, a drill, vacuum, battery charger, cover for a BMW 428i, compressor hose, outdoor lights and various tools.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Crime-Sto ... s-West-Kel
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Well as most already know, of course not all .... can't fix dumb :cuss: stupid.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Kelo_Can613
Fledgling

Post by Kelo_Can613 »

It's not victim blaming - it's being realistic. And it's simple advice that would prevent probably 90% of the theft from vehicle crimes of opportunity.

When you're travelling overseas, how many times do they stress not having your wallet bulging out of your pants unless you want to be pick-pocketed? It's no different than here. Don't leave valuables in your vehicle. It's common sense.

A theft from vehicle cannot be equated to having one's home broken into. I don't expect someone to break into my home and steal my valuables, but I still make preventative steps to thwart the possibility, such as locking my front door. Could it happen? Sure. But I would expect, however, that someone will open my car door or even smash a side window to steal valuables if I left my vehicle parked outside on a public street or in a driveway.

Accusing someone for being assaulted for dressing nicely or being out at dark is victim blaming. Telling someone to take valuables out of their vehicle is just common sense.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I'm more stressed out of having my window smashed in or car damaged then worrying about any contents removed.

Bank cards can be cancelled, iPads can be replaced - but touching my baby is a no-no :biggrin:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Dizzy1 wrote:I'm more stressed out of having my window smashed in or car damaged then worrying about any contents removed.

Bank cards can be cancelled, iPads can be replaced - but touching my baby is a no-no :biggrin:

If there is nothing for them to see that might be of interest, they most likely touch your baby. They will just move on to where there is a guarantee/better chance of gain.

Return to “North Okanagan”