1.1 million for 6 new police

common_sense_guy
Übergod

1.1 million for 6 new police

Post by common_sense_guy »

Just read 1.1 million dollars for six new police. That works out to over 180,000 per officer. Does anybody else have trouble with that math.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: 1.1 million for 6 new police

Post by gman313 »

sure don't, I'm in kelowna
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

common_sense_guy wrote:Just read 1.1 million dollars for six new police. That works out to over 180,000 per officer. Does anybody else have trouble with that math.

Not really. That includes everything...wage, benefits, pension, office space, vehicles, uniforms... the list goes on and on. Just be happy they are adding some enforcement.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

vegas1500 wrote:
common_sense_guy wrote:Just read 1.1 million dollars for six new police. That works out to over 180,000 per officer. Does anybody else have trouble with that math.

Not really. That includes everything...wage, benefits, pension, office space, vehicles, uniforms... the list goes on and on. Just be happy they are adding some enforcement.

If I remember correctly an officer makes close to $80,000 per year. Which raises the question, what $100,000 more is needed for? $100,000 for a car, uniform, gun and benefits? Seems high?
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

It's hard to see any negatives to this considering Vernon was recently considered the 9th most crime ridden place in the whole country.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
aitaix

Post by aitaix »

Think of it this way.

An Electrician earns (..I'm ball parking here so be flexible with me)

$30 an hour

If I say to a Home Owner that "We need 6 Electricians at $65 / hour to complete this job"

And they come back to me with "But they only earn $30 /hour?" What is the extra $35 going to?

The RCMP have an overhead as well, Sure every officer doesn't clear $180k as an annual Salary. They're a business as well. They have overheads as described earlier. Administration, IT, Infrastructure, Liability Insurance etc.

It might not be what you think is appropriate, but what are you going to do about it? Post in the Castanet Forums? [icon_lol2.gif]
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

aitaix wrote:It might not be what you think is appropriate, but what are you going to do about it? Post in the Castanet Forums? [icon_lol2.gif]

You're right, what a useless waste of time. Next year if they change the rate to $500,000 an officer I better not post about it and cough up the taxes.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Crime rates never go down. Police budgets are at stake. If crime goes down. So does enforcement. Leading to a "need"
For more police. Unfortunately we in the okanagan are home to more than our fair share of low lifes. There will always be a need for a few cops here.

Does vernon need 6 more. I think they might.

1.1 million. Does seem high. However every single thing the government does is expensive. Vernon maybe could look at a regional police force. Band together with kelowna and kamloops. ?
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

[/quote]Not really. That includes everything...wage, benefits, pension, office space, vehicles, uniforms... the list goes on and on. Just be happy they are adding some enforcement.[/quote]

If I remember correctly an officer makes close to $80,000 per year. Which raises the question, what $100,000 more is needed for? $100,000 for a car, uniform, gun and benefits? Seems high?[/quote]

We employ HD technicians that make roughly $50/hr. I have seen the math and it would blow your mind what each one costs us per year, all in.....so the 180k/year doesn't shock me at all for an officer.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Lol more cops to end up on harrasment charges and more money paid out in lawsuits . Great :130:
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

$180k is about what I expected with vehicles, overtime office space, radios, equipment.

Seems reasonable.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

vegas1500 wrote:

yes so their wage account for approximately half of what each one is budgeted for. I didn't read anything about them buying new vehicles or building new offices for them. I'm sure the office environment infrastructure is already in place. Radios and uniforms maybe yes. More fuel for doing their job yes. I didn't know six new police officers would be guaranteed a pension right away so that shouldn't be a budgeted as part of it. My point is the math doesn't sound right and for that kind of money we should be getting double that many officers.. just because it's a positive thing that we're getting them doesn't mean people should overlook the numbers and what they cost. I am merely pointing out it sounds extremely high and I would like to see the budgeted numbers and how it breaks down. Aren't we owed that much as taxpayers especially in a time of rampant government overspending at all levels bad decision making and Corruption
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

common_sense_guy wrote:Aren't we owed that much as taxpayers especially in a time of rampant government overspending at all levels bad decision making and Corruption

Ask then.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
aitaix

Post by aitaix »

Sparki55 wrote:
aitaix wrote:It might not be what you think is appropriate, but what are you going to do about it? Post in the Castanet Forums? [icon_lol2.gif]

Next year if they change the rate to $500,000 an officer I better not post about it and cough up the taxes.

Nah, maybe put in a request under the Privacy Act http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/atip-aiprp/index-eng.htm to the RCMP to see what the $420,000 increase is for rather than be an arm chair warrior on these forums?

Return to “North Okanagan”