Page 2 of 6

Re: 1.1 million for 6 new police

PostPosted: Nov 29th, 2017, 5:54 pm
by Fancy
The city is budgeting for the RCMP to add three more members in 2018 at a cost of $525,000 — and six more in the next four years to bring the total number of officers in Kamloops to 129.

http://cfjctoday.com/article/598998/kam ... n-ot-costs

Re: 1.1 million for 6 new police

PostPosted: Nov 29th, 2017, 10:30 pm
by Ken7
vegas1500 wrote:
We employ HD technicians that make roughly $50/hr. I have seen the math and it would blow your mind what each one costs us per year, all in.....so the 180k/year doesn't shock me at all for an officer.



http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/regular-me ... -rates-pay

The Federal Government may double a members wage as a cost, per man as there are a number of other costs. It used to be RCMP vehicles were not even plated, why the total cost would be overwhelming. The ten cars a year in Saskatchewan they used to write off, was only a small portion of what the total cost of insurance was.

I used to know what the cost was for 1.5 man was, but it has been lost. I could find out what it was a a counsel member I know well was upset as the only time they saw the RCMP was if someone reported a crime.

The number of 1.1 for six, I'd like to see a break down on that as it is out there considering their current budget. Getting six more members does not mean they need six more cars. With all the different leave of absence there is real and fraud, there would be extra vehicles sitting idle. Next time you speak with a member of counsel ask, what is the cost of one officer. They likely will know.

Re: 1.1 million for 6 new police

PostPosted: Nov 30th, 2017, 5:26 am
by Chyren
Good move by Vernon.

Re: 1.1 million for 6 new police

PostPosted: Nov 30th, 2017, 5:46 am
by FreeRights
maryjane48 wrote:Lol more cops to end up on harrasment charges and more money paid out in lawsuits . Great :130:

No, I doubt it.

Re: 1.1 million for 6 new police

PostPosted: Nov 30th, 2017, 6:08 am
by hdfbrider
did the city check???... the head count ratio of rcmp to that of comparable city populations ....or are we just throwing money at something because we are ask to ......we gave money to rcmp for downtown walking rcmp whens the last time you say one walking?...... just saying lets not throw money at something without doing the math and compare the head count to other jurisdictions.....apples to apples people???

Re: 1.1 million for 6 new police

PostPosted: Nov 30th, 2017, 6:28 am
by Jflem1983
hdfbrider wrote:did the city check???... the head count ratio of rcmp to that of comparable city populations ....or are we just throwing money at something because we are ask to ......we gave money to rcmp for downtown walking rcmp whens the last time you say one walking?...... just saying lets not throw money at something without doing the math and compare the head count to other jurisdictions.....apples to apples people???


Vernon police. Last time i saw a number were chronically short staffed to the point thwy were not responding to most calls.

Re: 1.1 million for 6 new police

PostPosted: Nov 30th, 2017, 6:47 am
by Fancy
hdfbrider wrote:did the city check???... the head count ratio of rcmp to that of comparable city populations ....or are we just throwing money at something because we are ask to ......we gave money to rcmp for downtown walking rcmp whens the last time you say one walking?...... just saying lets not throw money at something without doing the math and compare the head count to other jurisdictions.....apples to apples people???

Canada has one of the lowest rates of police strength compared to similar countries and Kelowna has one of the lowest rates compared to other Canadian cities (2014).
https://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-x/ ... 46-eng.htm
I'm sure there are current stats but that was what I found to start with.

Re: 1.1 million for 6 new police

PostPosted: Nov 30th, 2017, 7:40 am
by alanjh595
Jflem1983 wrote:Vernon police. Last time i saw a number were chronically short staffed to the point thwy were not responding to most calls.
I wonder how many man-hours was spent on busting the mayor for impaired?

Re: 1.1 million for 6 new police

PostPosted: Nov 30th, 2017, 3:40 pm
by vegas1500
[quote="common[/quote]

Not really. That includes everything...wage, benefits, pension, office space, vehicles, uniforms... the list goes on and on. Just be happy they are adding some enforcement.[/quote] yes so their wage account for approximately half of what each one is budgeted for. I didn't read anything about them buying new vehicles or building new offices for them. I'm sure the office environment infrastructure is already in place. Radios and uniforms maybe yes. More fuel for doing their job yes. I didn't know six new police officers would be guaranteed a pension right away so that shouldn't be a budgeted as part of it. My point is the math doesn't sound right and for that kind of money we should be getting double that many officers.. just because it's a positive thing that we're getting them doesn't mean people should overlook the numbers and what they cost. I am merely pointing out it sounds extremely high and I would like to see the budgeted numbers and how it breaks down. Aren't we owed that much as taxpayers especially in a time of rampant government overspending at all levels bad decision making and Corruption[/quote]

Not going to get into it but they stilll have to budget office space and cars, etc even if they don't build new offices... every aspect of what they use or will use is budgeted for and broken down by how many officers/people there are. They don't start collecting a pension, obviously but I after their probationary period they will be enrolled in a govt pension so they would account for that.

Re: 1.1 million for 6 new police

PostPosted: Dec 1st, 2017, 4:22 am
by Chyren
alanjh595 asks: " I wonder how many man-hours was spent on busting the mayor for impaired?" He wasn't charged with impaired. Read the story...

jflem1983 states: "Vernon police. Last time i saw a number were chronically short staffed to the point they were not responding to most calls."

How in the world can you state that the police in Vernon are not responding to MOST calls? Real head scratcher there. Where are your facts on that opinion? If you use the actual numbers as per the original story that Vernon's statistics show police are overwhelmingly responding to a ton of calls (a lot of serious ones too) how can you say they're not responding to most calls? :swear:

Re: 1.1 million for 6 new police

PostPosted: Dec 1st, 2017, 1:59 pm
by dontrump
vegas1500 wrote:
common_sense_guy wrote:Just read 1.1 million dollars for six new police. That works out to over 180,000 per officer. Does anybody else have trouble with that math.


Not really. That includes everything...wage, benefits, pension, office space, vehicles, uniforms... the list goes on and on. Just be happy they are adding some enforcement.


why they not overworked as it stands I see cops everyday FTD so don't give me the bull *bleep* about all the stress and long hours its all Bullcrap

Re: 1.1 million for 6 new police

PostPosted: Dec 1st, 2017, 2:11 pm
by Fancy
dontrump wrote:why they not overworked as it stands I see cops everyday FTD so don't give me the bull *bleep* about all the stress and long hours its all Bullcrap
Thank goodness an opinion isn't a fact.

Re: 1.1 million for 6 new police

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, 2017, 8:58 am
by Jhunter199
Jflem1983 wrote:1.1 million. Does seem high. However every single thing the government does is expensive. Vernon maybe could look at a regional police force. Band together with kelowna and kamloops. ?


Just a thought here... Don't you think starting a regional police force from the ground up is going to cost a little more than 1.1 million? While I agree at 1st look it seems high, but when you start factoring in, benefits, cpp, ei, cars, gear, support staff, insurance, moving expenses, etc. It adds up.
I can't imagine what starting a regional police force would cost and how many people would be outraged at that cost when we have an established police force already in operation.

Re: 1.1 million for 6 new police

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, 2017, 9:00 am
by JLives
With marijuana becoming legal next July, how are the police departments restructuring their resources?

Re: 1.1 million for 6 new police

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, 2017, 1:40 pm
by Fancy
Doubt there will be restructuring - there are other illegal drugs they concentrate on now.