Coyote on Vernon Forum and Castanet

trapp
Übergod

Coyote on Vernon Forum and Castanet

Post by trapp »

Coyote picture on Castanet.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/21 ... ok-darling

This coyote has Sarcoptic Mange and should be destroyed to prevent further spread. It is fairly rampant among area coyotes.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Re: Coyote on Vernon Forum and Castanet

Post by Ingevan22 »

On the one hand, I agree it needs to be put out of its misery... especially before it becomes a danger to people.

On the other hand, there are multiple coyotes in dens right across from Marshall, in all that preload. Are you saying we need to prevent mange from wiping out this population? Do we need to save coyotes?

Perhaps traffic will do the trick - this particular coyote ran brazenly right out in front of my vehicle today, crossing from OK Ave towards Marshall Fields (where of course, multiple folks were walking small dogs).

If there aren't any coyote warning signs up at Marshall now, surely there should be.
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'm pretty sure it's contagious to domestic dogs.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Unlikely it would readily come into contact with domestic dogs. Yes it is transmittable. No we should not kill all coyotes. They do need to be managed in the city and livestock areas but they have their place in wildlife society and extermination is not part of any wildlife management program.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It's too bad there isn't treatment that could be put out as I hate to think of them suffering.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

There's a lot of suffering in the wild.
Personally i wouldn't care if there was an attempt to lower their population.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

This isn't a good way though. It's likely the coyotes will be more brazen.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

There are coyote dens right across the road from Marshall Fields, in all that preload (those massive mounds of dirt) on the lot for sale - easier to spot 'em from the OK Ave side. We are used to seeing 1, 2 or 3 coyotes here, at any time of day. They're not just in dens up on the hills above the Longacre trail... they live right-smack in the middle of our 'hood.

I don't know how many folks we've warned to keep cats indoors in this area (the wild, wild Landing), yet folks still let 'em out and then wonder why Fluffy disappeared.

My worst experience was emailing my neighbours a pic of the 2 (very healthy) coyotes that were hunting our neighbourhood in the morning, then learning that they STILL let their cat out that evening... When our dog gave alarm, we shone a flashlight down our driveway to witness the poor cat getting torn apart. The next morning, those 2 coyotes howled and screamed and yipped for hours in the most bloodcurdling way, like nothing I'd ever heard before, as if to say "Let out your other cat!". So horrible.

I get that folks don't want to read signs or heed warnings, but I don't think we should wait till dogs or people get attacked, before warning signage is placed at Marshall Fields (similar to what was done on the Longacre Trail, in response to multiple pets being killed by coyotes on the trail).
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I think dogs are more at risk from getting caught in coyote traps than catching mange from coyotes.
We used to have a lot of coyotes in our area, now they have mysteriously disappeared. someone must have been trapping them because they didn't just evaporate.

Return to “North Okanagan”