Charles Bloom Fix or New

bob57

Charles Bloom Fix or New

Post by bob57 »

This is an open note to the folks in Lumby. 1/3 of the funds you need to build a new school is equivalent to the $7,000,000 the government has budgeted for the new bathrooms at Loon Lake on the Coquihalla. Don't settle for a fix up. Get a new school.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Charles Bloom Fix or New

Post by bob vernon »

Of course Lumby should have either the old school renovated or a new school. And it should include geothermal heating to cut the long term cost of heating and cooling. Will the town grow? Maybe. Maybe not. I suspect that the old school will be patched up as it's the cheaper option. Many Lumbonians are middle class and lower middle class and tend, for some reason, to vote for right wingers. With a left wing gumment in Victoria, a renovation is probably the most they can expect.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

bob vernon wrote: And it should include geothermal heating to cut the long term cost of heating and cooling.

A little off topic but my daughter and SIL bought a house with geothermal heating and was amazed at the cost of her electrical bill to run the pumps.

It's not what it's touted to be.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Bsuds wrote:A little off topic but my daughter and SIL bought a house with geothermal heating and was amazed at the cost of her electrical bill to run the pumps.

It's not what it's touted to be.

A lot of times, it's not set up properly (ie. bad programming), so the pumps keep running when they're not needed. Even when it's set up right, you will save lots of energy, but you won't save as much money as you'd think because electricity is far more expensive than natural gas, especially when you consider that you're paying into the 2nd tier to heat and cool your home with electricity.

As for being on topic, most people I know in Lumby are telling me they want the school fixed up. The main reason is that a new school means they will combine the elementary and high schools, and this will mean cutting out space and programs they currently have.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

I think they should combine schools but have separate wings. So 2 gyms, 2 libraries etc.
They could host bigger events on weekends, it would be a community feel. They would save on closing the other buildings and combining services like buses, heating, custodians etc.
And the high school kids could buddy with elementary for reading, computers, maybe teach them some technical Ed stuff like woodwork etc.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Knowing how some School Boards are a little screwed up, if I was resident of Lumby I'd be pushing for new school. Once built less of a chance of the kids being told they are being bused to Vernon.
I'm sure the thought of doing this has crossed the mind of at least 1 school board member, since it's a 25 minutes to Vernon.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “North Okanagan”