Crosswalk death trap

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Crosswalk death trap

Post by GordonH »

2 possible solutions:
1) Pedestrian overpass
2) Since flooding not an issue then pedestrian underpass. This one would easier for those with walkers, wheelchairs or scooters. Would not need long ramp as in Kelowna.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

An underpass in that neighbourhood? You could put a dozen security cameras in an underpass there and it would still be a high crime area. Enforcing the speed limit on that hill, both up and down, could be a gold mine in fines. Most vehicles speed.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

bob vernon wrote:An underpass in that neighbourhood? You could put a dozen security cameras in an underpass there and it would still be a high crime area. Enforcing the speed limit on that hill, both up and down, could be a gold mine in fines. Most vehicles speed.

100%, Gold Star.

Exactly my first thoughts on an underpass/tunnel.
Main reason I did not suggest such a thing myself.

Speed is an issue for sure, it would be nothing for the RCMP to impound several vehicles a day
for being 30k over posted.

If they enforced the 30K over rule with vigor around the Central OK the impound lots would be
a lot fuller and the roads would be less congested.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

dirtybiker wrote:100%, Gold Star.

Exactly my first thoughts on an underpass/tunnel.
Main reason I did not suggest such a thing myself.

Speed is an issue for sure, it would be nothing for the RCMP to impound several vehicles a day
for being 30k over posted.

If they enforced the 30K over rule with vigor around the Central OK the impound lots would be
a lot fuller and the roads would be less congested.

Well, except there isn't a "30K over rule"
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

my5cents wrote:Well, except there isn't a "30K over rule"

I stand corrected. 40k over posted is excessive speeding bringing on impoundment.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/tran ... ss-driving

Thanks;

All this time I've not been speeding enough for fear of impoundment.
How will I ever gain back all the lost miles and time ?
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

It would be safer to get rid of the crosswalk and people can either walk up the street to the controlled light or jaywalk. At least with jaywalking they can wait for an opening and if they want to save parking costs they can walk a little further.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I don't understand why they don't park on Polson Drive. I did that when my wife was in the hospital. Yes, there is the stairway from Hell to climb, but if you don't at least get your heart rate going a couple times per week, you're probably going to be a patient in the hospital sooner rather than later.

polsonpark.png

staircase.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

When the little store was open across the street , I used to cross twice daily on my lunch break. You really don't have to wait very long for a break in traffic that is long enough to cross safely. If I saw a semi coming up , or down , I would step back behind the bush and let them pass rather than forcing them to stop. Very simply put , I'm not going to step out in front of a moving (usually speeding) vehicle. There would not even be an issue if someone had addressed the need for parking when they started planning the hospital expansion. If the staff that does park on area streets were all to park in the lots , there would be no parking available for patients and/or visitors.

Return to “North Okanagan”