Lake Country Mico-homes

Lake Country Mico-homes

Postby ddiiaanne » Jun 11th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Having an opportunity to develop some land in Lake Country, do you agree that 5 micro-homes with landscaping that provides the illusion of privacy would be more desirable and profitable than 3 good sized sized lots & 1000 sq ft homes?

Opinions please.
Doing what I can, with what I have, where I am.

Sige likes this post.
ddiiaanne
Übergod

Liked in: 44 posts

Re: Lake Country Mico-homes

Postby LANDM » Jun 11th, 2018, 1:41 pm

ddiiaanne wrote:Having an opportunity to develop some land in Lake Country, do you agree that 5 micro-homes with landscaping that provides the illusion of privacy would be more desirable and profitable than 3 good sized sized lots & 1000 sq ft homes?

Opinions please.

Only 1000 sqft homes as the "large" option, for detached single family? What are the micro sizes? :135:

Are you doing this to actually make money?
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 3456 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jun 11th, 2018, 1:53 pm

I'd be more interested in a Micro Home myself. There is a growing market for it. Might be something worthwhile to investigate further.

LANDM wrote:Only 1000 sqft homes as the "large" option, for detached single family? What are the micro sizes? :135:

Usually 500 sq ft or less.

Ken7 likes this post.
OKkayak
Übergod

Liked in: 1102 posts

Postby Because_They_Lie » Jun 11th, 2018, 3:01 pm

say no to the micro-home.

Agenda 21 - downsizing of humanity.

Of course people desire real privacy, so provide it.

do people want illusion? no, not if they knew better.
Because_They_Lie
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 274 posts

Postby Even Steven » Jun 11th, 2018, 7:30 pm

I'm saying no to micro homes by not living in one or renting one.

But if it works for somebody, then who am I to say no?
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2098 posts

Postby generalposter » Jun 11th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Cost to develop vs return would dictate my decision.
Someone has to say it.
generalposter
Board Meister

Liked in: 498 posts

Postby ddiiaanne » Jun 11th, 2018, 8:33 pm

LANDM wrote:

I would hope to, yes. I am considering investing my time and money into developing this project. It's a bit more than an acre, so with good planning, firm budgeting, and with the aid from the DLC, I hope I can turn a profit.
ddiiaanne
Übergod

Postby LANDM » Jun 11th, 2018, 8:37 pm

ddiiaanne wrote:
LANDM wrote:

I would hope to, yes. I am considering investing my time and money into developing this project. It's a bit more than an acre, so with good planning, firm budgeting, and with the aid from the DLC, I hope I can turn a profit.

Ok. Just run the numbers very carefully as the returns may not be what you think.
LANDM
Guru

Postby ddiiaanne » Jun 11th, 2018, 9:00 pm

generalposter wrote:Cost to develop vs return would dictate my decision.

Exactly. One great house with a pool and a 3 car garage might even be feasible.

I am looking for opinions.

Do you think I could make some extra coin on this proposed project? What's best? How to? Is there any one in the development of new homes be interested in investing with me on this? Like I mean, house builders, landscapers, cabinet builders, any trades people who could help lower some cost? Anyone interested in investing if you think there's money to be made?

I will really have my work ahead of me if this goes through. Figuring the numbers is first...So, do I go around getting estimates for the earthwork, then carpenters, etc. I would like to work with as many local contractors as possible.

Early stages here. Our first step is to demo the existing old house that I believe what built in the 60's.

On another note, the fellow who lived there used wood to heat his house. I've never seen it because I refuse to go in there, but apparently, in the basement there is a HUGE cast iron wood stove. I'm not sure if I should bother saving it...but it's old and it works. Also, there is a clawfoot tub in there that I don't want to take the time and $$ to have it refurbished. So...suggestions with these things too would be helpful in kickstarting my project.
ddiiaanne
Übergod

Postby generalposter » Jun 11th, 2018, 9:55 pm

Zoning on property will determine your options. I wouldn’t spend a dime until you know exactly what the zoning will allow. Subdividing a one acre piece is expensive relative to return. There is a lot of research you can do without spending any money.

After that you should find a decent general contractor to advise you on a feasible plan and build scheme. There are some good outfits in Kelowna and would probably be interested in a relatively local project. Some will carry the load and still let you put in as much work as you can to retain some return. They also have all the contacts from soil to finishing labour. This is not a good way or place to build if you don’t have the experience. Mistakes or mismanagement becomes expensive!

1 acre in DLC with home would probably be the simplest and profitable . Most important you need to be talking to trusted professionals and district planners. Neighbourhood has a huge bearing on development .
Someone has to say it.
generalposter
Board Meister

Liked in: 498 posts

Postby ddiiaanne » Jun 12th, 2018, 12:31 am

First of all general poster, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your time in responding and advising me on this. I really appreciate it.

generalposter wrote:Zoning on property will determine your options. I wouldn’t spend a dime until you know exactly what the zoning will allow. Subdividing a one acre piece is expensive relative to return.
Yep, this I know, after a couple of meetings with the district, we have only recently put in our application. I understand it's a waiting process, which is ok, I'm in no rush, as said, all in the planning stages taking baby steps for now.

generalposter wrote:There is a lot of research you can do without spending any money.
Well, we have been studying the forms we do have and by following the guidelines for building, we hope zoning won't be an issue as past meetings have so far been positive. We understand the majority of the guidelines but we expect to be consulted by the DLC throughout the entire process, which is a relief.
Can you suggest the other research we should be doing?

generalposter wrote:1 acre in DLC... Most important you need to be talking to trusted professionals and district planners. Neighbourhood has a huge bearing on development .
We are currently working with the DLC and following the guidelines. No real "trusted professionals have yet been involved.

Neighbourhood has a huge bearing...meaning what?...they are part of the approval system?
ddiiaanne
Übergod

Postby ddiiaanne » Jun 12th, 2018, 12:42 am

generalposter wrote:Subdividing a one acre piece is expensive relative to return.

How so?
What's the biggest expense?
I understand I may have to pay for all services installed at each lot.
I understand I may have to donate a small area for the building of a cul de sac type space for a firetruck to turn around.

Is my plan not feasible? A bad move? No way can it be profitable for me so don't waste my time...
ddiiaanne
Übergod

Postby LANDM » Jun 12th, 2018, 5:38 am

It appears you have done zero work on costs and have zero idea what those costs are and how to calculate them. That is the absolute priority. Talk to consulting engineers for a cost estimate.
Do you even know how expensive it is to demolish the home? The costs there are large, relative to what you are doing.
LANDM
Guru

Postby Ken7 » Jun 12th, 2018, 6:30 am

ddiiaanne wrote:
generalposter wrote:Cost to develop vs return would dictate my decision.

Exactly. One great house with a pool and a 3 car garage might even be feasible.

I am looking for opinions.

IF you know a person who is in real estate I'd sit and pass your idea onto them. I have always thought as you are but never went after it. My thought was a boaters winter place. Five on one property with a common meeting area for those who wish to sit by a fire pit or BBQ. As boaters spend most of their time one the lake and need a smaller place for the winter was my thought. On one side of property a car port which could provide shelter for vehicles, one per home.

My vision was for north Glenmore off in the trees.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 2881 posts

Postby ddiiaanne » Jun 12th, 2018, 11:27 am

LANDM wrote:It appears you have done zero work on costs and have zero idea what those costs are and how to calculate them. That is the absolute priority. Talk to consulting engineers for a cost estimate.
Do you even know how expensive it is to demolish the home? The costs there are large, relative to what you are doing.

Yes, we are aware of the demolition costs as we got 4 different quotes before choosing one.

I was planning on talking to engineers after finding out what the DLC is permitting us to do.

I do have someone trustworthy to help with estimating the earth work which would include site prep and the road building portion of the project.

I'm starting to second guess my plan. You're right, I have absolutely no idea how to calculate these costs.
ddiiaanne
Übergod

Next

Return to North Okanagan