Rail Trail Fines, Dog Not on Leash

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Rail Trail Fines, Dog Not on Leash

Post by Fancy »

LTD wrote:grow up how about mind your own business I actually live in the bush my dogs are used to wildlife if anything the idiots from the city should be on leash when they go to the bush stay in town where ya belong

No need to get all ruffled up. I could care less where you live - just look after your own animals and I am minding my business. Don't forget the trap lines that so many people have let their dogs wander into.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I have zero problem phoning CO's to deal with at large dogs chasing wildlife. Many a dog has met their end chasing what doesn't belong to them. What is the issue here is what already should be common sense (but isn't) - dogs on leash on a public trail.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Fancy, the fine can be up to $2,000 for repeat offenders who are taken to court by the RDNO. I think they call it "long form information"?
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

LTD, I once had a great dog that was great in the bush and in the city, so I totally hear you.

But now, I own an idiot dog that I must leash at all times - on my own yard, in the bush, and in the city - and we've been attacked numerous times, on city trails and on the street in my own neighbourhood. I know leashes won't prevent all attacks, but I will feel much better knowing someone can haul their dog away with the leash (or away from a coyote, like at Marshall Fields or the Longacre Trail!). And, hopefully they also pick up the crap!

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Face it, it is just plain IRRESPONSIBLE to allow your mutt to run free, possibly to attack humans and wildlife.

What do you NOT get in that message?

Your mutt is and should be, at all times, under control. Hopefully by someone who has a higher IQ than the dog.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Ingevan22 wrote:Fancy, the fine can be up to $2,000 for repeat offenders who are taken to court by the RDNO. I think they call it "long form information"?

I can't find anything online unlike other cities that state what fines are for different infractions. One isn't going to get a $2,000 fine for having a dog off leash.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Yeah I wondered about this as well and whether the RDNO Parks staff had perhaps overstated the fines, so I inquired with RDNO Bylaw Enforcement and discovered the "long form information".

That would only be for repeat offenders of the bylaw - if RDNO decides to take 'em to court, RDNO would file a "long form information" and the dog owner, if deemed guilty by the court, could get charged up to $2,000. So this is not something you will find written in the bylaw, it is a legal action that RDNO could take, in case of unrepentant, repeat offenders who continue to run their dogs off-leash or commit other, multiple or grievous violations of the bylaw. I'm told that RDNO could also seek the costs of the court action from the dog owner, on top of that $2,000, so it could even be more. Anyway I doubt it has to come to that but they wanted to make folks aware to inspire compliance. :smt045

RDNO Ticket Information Bylaw - $100 fine for "unlawfully at large" - https://www.rdno.ca/bylaws/BL_1148_C.pdf

tykrz

Post by tykrz »

Fine for dog on a leash but ok for homeless bums to camp out at night on it
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

tykrz wrote:Fine for dog on a leash but ok for homeless bums to camp out at night on it

Not OK for camping - please report to authorities immediately!

The stretch from Coldstream to Kekuli is under RDNO jurisdiction, give 'em a call at 250-550-3700. Interestingly, this is also the most used section of the Rail Trail so far, also regularly patrolled during the daytime.

Entrenched campers were removed prior to official trail opening - one industrious fella even had a powered camp with solar, took a long time to remove as he had hauled so much stuff down there.

dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

LTD wrote:grow up how about mind your own business I actually live in the bush my dogs are used to wildlife if anything the idiots from the city should be on leash when they go to the bush stay in town where ya belong

while I certainly understand your narrow minded opinion If iam walking in the same public bush and Iam accosted by your mutts your claiming that's legal?? look up the law my man and u will find you can also be fined up to $2000
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Ingevan22 wrote:When your dog is attached to you via a leash, you really have no excuse not to pick up the crap! (... not that you have any excuse ever anyway...)

I cannot believe that Vernon City Council recently voted NOT to amend the RDNO Dog Control bylaw to require that dogs be ON LEASH in ALL public places, not merely "under control". Do they not care how many folks & their pets are attacked, on a daily basis, by off-leash dogs in the City of Vernon? I avoid walking most of the trails with my leashed dog, because of the constant issues I encounter with off-leash dogs - why is this OK?

The comments on social media about the increased patrols on the OTR clearly show the vast majority are in favour of on-leash. Those comments also show the negative experiences folks have had due to dogs off-leash. A recent article in another publication contains the gory evidence of what happened to a cyclist on the OTR.

I sure hope our next Council gets serious about public safety, and about doing what the public wants.

Dog parks and dog beaches are for unleashed playtime. All goers are aware of it and can choose to attend or not. ANY OTHER public place should not be for unleashed dogs. To me, this is a no-brainer and I love dogs more than people.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

gman313 wrote:now we just need to keep the damn *bleep* horses off the trail

That is one I've never understood. You have a horse, a horse can go on some of the more rugged trails and off you go. I see these people on them at of all places Traders Bay. Really, we don't care you can ride a horse, or you own a horse. Go in the back country and enjoy the ride!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Well, this Rail Trail bisects several farms that also have dogs, no leashes required
because it is their yard.

Are a double set of gates required, even though farm traffic crosses fairly
continuous ?

A doggie overpass so the dogs can patrol the entire property ?

Even more absurd, Rail Trail overpasses to contain users from disrupting farm
production ?
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Ken7 wrote:
gman313 wrote:now we just need to keep the damn *bleep* horses off the trail

That is one I've never understood. You have a horse, a horse can go on some of the more rugged trails and off you go. I see these people on them at of all places Traders Bay. Really, we don't care you can ride a horse, or you own a horse. Go in the back country and enjoy the ride!

Different riders and horses have different skill levels.

You might as well have said,” I don’t understand why all skiers don’t stick to double black diamond runs and leave the green runs to tobogganers.”

Return to “North Okanagan”