Fire Season Weather Thread

Fire-related topics
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: Fire Season Weather Thread

Post by Barney Google »

Was shocked when they lifted the camp fire ban...a few days of HOT weather and we just might see ourselves back to square one.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Very smokey in the south Okanagan but I'm not seeing any new news. Is it coming up from Washington again or is there a new fire somewhere?
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

Maybe the Oliver fire is acting up or they are doing some burning off?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Bunnyhop wrote:Very smokey in the south Okanagan but I'm not seeing any new news. Is it coming up from Washington again or is there a new fire somewhere?

it was coming from here. it was smokey yesterday and again today. the fires aren't out yet, but they are getting a handle on them. :)

edited to add: by HERE i mean Washington state. lol sheesh.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p ... d_fire.txt

you have to scroll up and over to the right a little to see the three blocks near me. :D
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

A ban is still in place in the Chilcotin (western half of the Cariboo Fire Centre...

dr sept 9 2015.png

Here is an interesting map. It shows all the land that has burned in Canada from 1980 to 2012...

ag_firepolys_9999.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

That is an interesting map. Surprising that BC actually has much less burned area than other provinces / territories.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

September is turning out to be quite a dry month. I doubt anything major will happen especially will the cooler temperatures but it's still good to be cautious.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Quailize wrote:September is turning out to be quite a dry month.

Are you sure? I have over 40 mm at my place. Victoria has had more rain this month than they did in May, June, July, and August combined.

DR 2015 2014.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I'm referring to the central and south okanagan. There hasn't been a significant rainfall here for a while. Rain on the 20th and 21st really soaked the north okanagan but mostly missed us.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Quailize wrote:I'm referring to the central and south okanagan. There hasn't been a significant rainfall here for a while. Rain on the 20th and 21st really soaked the north okanagan but mostly missed us.

Maybe for a very small portion of the province. Mine lawn is green for the first time all summer, and I haven't even watered it. I've had over 2 inches of rain so far this month.

P.S. May 28th fire danger rating in 4 different years (2015, 2014, 2011, and 2009):

Sept28th Danger Rating.png
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Think of this as the last word thread... See who can get in the last post before Jo closes the forum.

Oct 5 2105 dr rh2.png
Oct 5 2105 dr rh3.png
Last edited by Glacier on Oct 6th, 2015, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Douglas Murray
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

I'd say you're about to be the winner here, if I can find a few minutes to spare, lol.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

If someone sees a thread they want to keep alive, just let me know and I'll move it over to whatever forum is best suited.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”