Osoyoos fires

Fire-related topics
Frisk
Guru

Osoyoos fires

Post by Frisk »

A series of lightning strikes has started eight wildfires in the South Okanagan.

Kelsey Winter, fire information officer, said lightning struck the region starting after 8 p.m. Saturday and started fires between Cawston and Richter Pass.

The fires are visible from Oliver and Osoyoos.

The Hunter Creek fire is the largest at 12 hectares with another blaze south of Spotted Lake consuming three hectares.

“The other ones right now are spot size,” said Winter, adding air tankers are currently attacking the larger fires with grounds crews moving in on the smaller ones.

None of the fires are threatening any structures.

But this could be just the beginning as Winter said there is more lightning in the forecast.

“Hopefully it will come with rain, but right now it's expected to be dry lightning,” she said.

And that could be bad news for fire crews as the fire rating through the Kamloops Fire District, which includes all of the Okanagan is rated between high and extreme.

“Things are very dry in the Okanagan right now,” she said.

Winter said the fire district has seen about the same number of fires this year as in 2014, but more hectares have been burned due to the lack of rainfall in June and dryer conditions.

Many of the fires this spring have been human caused and Winter anticipates a fire ban will be in place by next weekend.

Castanet will have more information as soon as it is available.
Frisk
Guru

Re: Osoyoos fires

Post by Frisk »

There's some more thunderstorms forming west of osoyoos and are moving northeast towards the central okanagan.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Radar image.
Attachments
Radar.png
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Interesting that they announced this (or Castanet finally posted it) at 12, when we drove past there at 9am it was very visible from Hwy 97.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

I am finding updates with breaking news stories slower to come then it used to be. Thought it was just me.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

A "Breaking" News story seems to be several hours after it's over. lol
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
sassybee
Board Meister

Post by sassybee »

Especially on weekends! VERY slow!
Wildfire 3

Post by Wildfire 3 »

We got deployed to some of these fires (K50184, 185, 186) until yesterday, was a very busy place with 6 helicopters on support, air tankers and the Penticton firebase was emptied of all IA and Unit crews. Had to adventure camp overnight on a 24hr operational deployment too, good times. They're all knocked down now mostly except for one that was still being actioned nearby yesterday, but for the most part its wrapped up.
Deployed - Destroyed - Enjoyed
Oliver 2015

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”