Cathedral Provincial Park fire

Fire-related topics
Frisk
Guru

Cathedral Provincial Park fire

Post by Frisk »

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/143373/Aggressive-fire-spreading

Sounds like it's a flare up from the recent thunderstorms. The forest in that area is very dense.
Star Light
Guru

Re: Cathedral Provincial Park fire

Post by Star Light »

Quailize wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/143373/Aggressive-fire-spreading

Sounds like it's a flare up from the recent thunderstorms. The forest in that area is very dense.

Doesn't seem good at all yet we all can only hope for the best.
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Considering no resources are responding, the current intensity of the fire, the lack of rain in the forecast and the density of the fuels I suspect this fire is going to be very large.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I wonder if the Americans are going to respond to the fire? It's basically right on the border.
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

I'm sure BC will put resources on it once it's safe to do so. Isn't already burning into the states? Pretty sure I saw a update someplace that indicated that the Americans were doing a recce to determine jursiticion, they have a lot more agencies down there so it can take a bit to determine whose fire it is, state of Washington, US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management etc.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I believe it's still in Canada right now. There's natural barriers (high mountains) to the south that will prevent it from spreading far into the states right now. There's also barriers to the west and north, the only way it can spread right now is east and since smoke is currently blowing over osoyoos, east is likely the direction it is moving.
Attachments
Newby lake.png
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

The fire is currently 30 hectares in size and growing rapidly. It is burning on both the Canadian and American side of the border. It was first reported about 1 p.m. today.

“They’re seeing Rank 5 fire behaviour,” Melissa Klassen, fire information officer, said. “Organized crown fire, fully engulfing from the stem of the tree up to the top.”

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#143373
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Oh okay, sorry, I missed that part.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

http://newmanandnewman.ca/weather/

This is the only webcam I could find that shows smoke. It's in Oliver.
Attachments
Newby lake smoke.jpg
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

It's listed at 50 hectares now.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Isnt this the same area that couple was lost in last week? good thing they found there way out when they did
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

vinnied wrote:Isnt this the same area that couple was lost in last week? good thing they found there way out when they did

Cathedral park covers 33,000 hectares, I doubt they were in the area of the fire, it's very remote.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

The fire has now grown to approximately 90 hectares and continues to burn aggressively. The B.C. Wildfire Management Branch is in talks with American fire crews to determine how to best deal with the blaze.

Fire crews have yet to make contact with the fire, due to the steep terrain. There are no buildings near the fire, as it is burning in a remote location.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Please, please let this one burn. The wildlife in that area is starving for habitat that has been destroyed by decades of fire suppression. The mule deer and California bighorn sheep really need all the help they can get down there, and a natural, large wildfire is vitally important.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Gone_Fishin wrote:Please, please let this one burn. The wildlife in that area is starving for habitat that has been destroyed by decades of fire suppression. The mule deer and California bighorn sheep really need all the help they can get down there, and a natural, large wildfire is vitally important.

They will probably let it do its thing. If it spreads east towards Chopaka they'll need to action it but other than that I think it could be very beneficial to the ecosystem.

*Note that it's 35km west of osoyoos which seems like a long ways but it's the same distance that the 2003 park spread. And honestly with the 7 day forecast showing nothing but sun and 35C temperatures, you just never know.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”