Wood burning ovens

Fire-related topics
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Wood burning ovens

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Ok so I've tried to find this info on http://bcwildfire.ca/hprscripts/wildfirenews/DisplayBan.asp?ID=419 but I'm having no luck.
Does anyone know if, outdoor wood smokers and or woodfired ovens indoor or outdoor are included in this ban?
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Re: Wood burning ovens

Post by vinnied »

I have no idea how a wood burning oven even works, but id imagine even if the flames are inclosed, anything that is emitting wood smoke into the air that neighbors might see or smell, would probably still earn you an unwanted visit from the fire department.
Maybe check with them first, and if they say its ok, then at least they would already know whats going on , when people start phoning in.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Cool yea, I guess I'll just phone. I'll ask about spark arrestors too, maybe that would help
I just bought a new place and my boys want to build me a wood burning outdoor oven for cooking (I make all our own everything - bread/buns/pizzas) and inside cooking it just too hot. So then they have to eat store bought stuff and get grumpy :D
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:Ok so I've tried to find this info on http://bcwildfire.ca/hprscripts/wildfirenews/DisplayBan.asp?ID=419 but I'm having no luck.
Does anyone know if, outdoor wood smokers and or woodfired ovens indoor or outdoor are included in this ban?

I believe the information you require can be obtained from the BC Safety Authority office.
There are regulations to follow and there is a design criteria that will determine if the fire box you build is a pressure vessel or an open fire pit.
A fire pit would be subject to the current burning regulations.
A pressure vessel will need to be CSA approved which is infeasible for a one off.
Pretty sure if you contact BC Safety Authority the hoops you will have to jump thru to make anything but an outdoor pit legal will be prohibitive.
Good luck!
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

I thought CSA approved wood burning thing was only if it was going to be inside. this will be an outdoor wood fired thing. that shouldn't need to be csa approved should it?
~ Terry Pratchett
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:I thought CSA approved wood burning thing was only if it was going to be inside. this will be an outdoor wood fired thing. that shouldn't need to be csa approved should it?

You may be correct.
I think the information you require can be acquired from BCSA.
Good luck.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I imagine it'll be fine. It's essentially a fireplace.

Your bias suits you.
Caponata

Post by Caponata »

Unfortunately outdoor wood burning fireplaces aren't allowed withing city limits. http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/Page565.aspx
Section 4.5.2 (vii) of ByLaw 10760 says wood burning bbq, fire pit, and fireplace is not permitted within the city limit. Briquette, propane, natural gas, or gel is permitted however.

edit: That said I think an outside fireplace/oven would be awesome for cooking bread and pizza :).
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Caponata wrote:Unfortunately outdoor wood burning fireplaces aren't allowed withing city limits. http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/Page565.aspx
Section 4.5.2 (vii) of ByLaw 10760 says wood burning bbq, fire pit, and fireplace is not permitted within the city limit. Briquette, propane, natural gas, or gel is permitted however.

edit: That said I think an outside fireplace/oven would be awesome for cooking bread and pizza :).

She's not in Kelowna City Limits.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Caponata

Post by Caponata »

Well colour me oblivious lol, I didn't look at her location on the sidebar.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

When I get it built I'll invite everyone out for a castanet get together... we haven't had one of those in ages, and seeing as I have ample camping space (nearly 160 acres) it should work out well :D
~ Terry Pratchett

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”