Westside Road about 5k N of Lk Okanagan Resort

Fire-related topics
Frisk
Guru

Re: Westside Road about 5k N of Lk Okanagan Resort

Post by Frisk »

Quite breezy outside but they seem to have it under control right now.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

Not much wind at the fire but one person on the forestry channel said earlier that there could be more westward winds starting this evening.

Thursday Afternoon.JPG
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

The upper south flank appears to be fairly active.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Quailize wrote:The upper south flank appears to be fairly active.

They were doing a lot of water bombing on the other side of that ridge late yesterday afternoon as well.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Noilly

Post by Noilly »

Well said Donald G!!!
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

Skimmers have finished and are returning to Penticton. 1 of the 5 left about 1 hour ago as one of his doors was not closing so headed to Penticton to get it checked out.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

No real wind, smoke is lowering to the lake. Helis have full roam of fire to bucket.

Thursday 6 pm Smoke.jpg
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

Looks like the fire is getting a steady wind from the west, no smoke is rising at all. Steady wind on the lake with occasional guests.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

They just had a round of retardant from the Air Tractors dumped up on the top of the south ridge.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Winds are forecasted to persist overnight and continue stronger tomorrow. I think they have the fire guarded good though.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Drip_Torch use the little hand to move the area of the map you wish to look at. Then use your mouse wheel to pan in or out. You need to hold your mouse button down to move the map to a new area. When you move the little hand to a dot on the map a finger will project, touch the circle and mouse click. Gives you information on that fire. Hope that helps

Lol...yes, I knew that, but sometimes I do have problems getting that little hand onto the right dot. The other day I touched a circle and it said, confidence 100, 327mw... I thought, hmm, wonder what that looks like.

Lucky for me there was the Duncan family, in Montana, to give me some idea. (Look at the pretty forest fire - {hindsight... probably not a good idea}.)

http://www.krtv.com/clip/11701505/missouri-family-races-to-escape-glacier-park-flames-captures-dramatic-video
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Jul 23rd, 2015, 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Link doesn't work
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^It works but takes a while to load.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Castanet update this morning.

The B.C. Wildfire Service is describing the Shelter Cove wildfire as 25 per cent contained this morning, after cooler temperatures Thursday and overnight allowed crews to establish control lines.

Jordan Turner, fire information officer, said the bulk of the containment runs along Westside Road, as this line has been the top priority due to its proximity to homes.

Despite the progress, Turner said he expects the total area of the fire to have increased from yesterday’s 460 hectares, although he doesn’t have an exact number at this time. He attributes the growth to the increase in activity along the southwest flank of the fire.

Sixty firefighters along with seven helicopters will be fighting the fire today, looking to establish more control lines along the north and south flanks. They will also be mopping up more areas near Westside Road to ensure houses there remain protected.

Turner said the western flank is the least controlled, but there are natural barriers on that side, specifically old fire remains.

“It would be the area that is not yet fully contained, but it’s also the area furthest away from anything that could be threatened,” Turner said.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Is Westside Rd. still closed?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”