Ashtray optional

Fire-related topics
waynetyea
Fledgling

Ashtray optional

Post by waynetyea »

i hear that they are optional only on some of the new cars and trucks. if you smoke and dont have a ashtray in your vehicle than there should be a wooping fine for anyone who smokes and does not have one.. ps a full ashtray also should be a big fine in this season for any smoker. there should be information centers along major highways where they can dump the ashtray and even get one if they need one. at least a half empty h2o bottle.
davis123
Board Meister

Re: Ashtray optional

Post by davis123 »

waynetyea wrote:i hear that they are optional only on some of the new cars and trucks. if you smoke and dont have a ashtray in your vehicle than there should be a wooping fine for anyone who smokes and does not have one.. ps a full ashtray also should be a big fine in this season for any smoker. there should be information centers along major highways where they can dump the ashtray and even get one if they need one. at least a half empty h2o bottle.

lol if a smoker does not have an ashtray installed they should get a 'wooping fine'? lol and why should a full ashtray also have a big fine in this season? I'm guessing you are not a smoker, right?

How about if a smoker throws their cigarette butt out the window THEN they get a fine. Most new vehicles do not have ashtrays, and this has no bearing on forest fires, ashtray or not, there is NO reason to throw butts out the window. Most smokers who smoke in their vehicle use a water bottle, pop can or whatever. A full ashtray is not going to start a forest fire..unless some idiot throws it out the window while it is burning. Focus on the MORONS causing fires, not the source of ignition (cigarette). This has everything to do with morons and nothing to do with cigarettes, those same morons are the ones probably having a campfire right now too.

If you look a few threads down you will see a very longggg topic regarding forest fires and cigarettes.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

A pop can or water bottle with some water placed in a drink holder, which pretty much every vehicle has, is sufficient to meet the needs of those who opt to smoke in their cars.

Ashtrays are rarely seen anymore as the majority have quit smoking, and no corporation wishes to be viewed as an entity catering to a bad habit.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

most new cars DO have an ashtray it is normally in one of the cup holders most people throw them away because they don't want to lose a cup holder why would they offer a cigarette lighter and no ashtray hmmmm
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

because cigarette lighter sockets have a better purpose as a power outlet.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Ashtrays designed to fit in cup holders are available at most dollar stores.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

LTD wrote:most new cars DO have an ashtray it is normally in one of the cup holders most people throw them away because they don't want to lose a cup holder why would they offer a cigarette lighter and no ashtray hmmmm

When I bought my last new car in 2011, not one of the ones I test drove came with an ashtray or a cigarette lighter. The lighter-like power outlets had caps, not lighters.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Automobile manufacturers started phasing out ashtrays and lighters in the mid-to-late '90's but you could order the optional "smokers package" for roughly $35 to $100 depending on vehicle model.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LTD wrote:most new cars DO have an ashtray it is normally in one of the cup holders most people throw them away because they don't want to lose a cup holder why would they offer a cigarette lighter and no ashtray hmmmm

Just bought a new car and in the process test drove several and guess what...not 1 had an ashtray!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

probly in the glove box or console both my new vehicles had one not saying all do tho
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Catri wrote:
When I bought my last new car in 2011, not one of the ones I test drove came with an ashtray or a cigarette lighter. The lighter-like power outlets had caps, not lighters.

Exactly, they don't call them lighters they are now called "power outlets". No lighter is provided.
The new car has 3 power outlets!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
davis123
Board Meister

Post by davis123 »

yep same goes for me, I have a 2014 and 2010, neither of them have ashtrays or lighters, and neither did the 2011 that I traded in, but there are power outlets all over the place in the 2014. I don't think there is any point for a manufacturer to install ashtrays anymore, the majority of people do not smoke so no point in taking up that space with ashtrays and lighters.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

waynetyea wrote:i .. ps a full ashtray also should be a big fine in this season for any smoker. ottle.

So.....where would you rather have the butts? Out the window? A full ashtray should get the person a big "thank you". It shows they are smart enough to not start a fire.
You and 71 others Like this post
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I believe that is incorrect, and though the odd one may come with an ashtray, it would be the exception rather than the rule these days.

I drive a ten year old vehicle and it doesn't have an ashtray, but it does have three power outlets, which look like the old lighter plugs, but there is no lighter in them, they are covered with plastic caps.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Why can't smokers just butt their smokes on the floor board of their car the way they do on the street or sidewalk or driveway or pine needle plastered forest floor?

That would work, wouldn't it?

TIC people, TIC. Relax Diesel.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”