Rock Creek Wildfire

Fire-related topics
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Rock Creek Wildfire

Post by MAPearce »

Don't know about that but it is too bad they didn't get a licence plate of the vehicle. People have to be ready to testify in court if they do step up as a witness.

There is no licence plate ..There is no video and there is no "flicked cigarette"......

There is however , some anti smoking puritan blowing smoke because he doesn't like some people for their personal habits....

Or he just needs attention like people who leave behind "suspicious packages" in Rutland .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Verminator wrote:I drove thru eastbound at about the same time, then the other way at around 6:15 PM. No response vehicles or personnel were in sight either time and the smoke there was VERY thick, especially on the return trip. Lots of lookie-loos on the bridge taking photos, thankfully traffic was pretty light at the time or the EMTs would be trying to fish bodies out of that gully.

So I might not be getting home as planned.
http://bcwildfire.ca/hprScripts/Wildfir ... asp?ID=576
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh God, do you have a good map on you?

Any alternative routes open to you?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Queen K wrote:Oh God, do you have a good map on you?

Any alternative routes open to you?

Back to the option of the ferry. Since Osoyoos to Midway reopened I'm hoping the ferry traffic slowed. Yesterday was down to a one ferry wait.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Needles ferry? Back to through New Denver and to Hwy 6?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Queen K wrote:Needles ferry? Back to through New Denver and to Hwy 6?

Yep! The other option is via the US but I decided at the last minute not to bring my passport...dumb...dumb...dumb.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

Queen K wrote:Needles ferry? Back to through New Denver and to Hwy 6?

The first time they closed Hwy 3, diverted traffic on Hwy 6 was so heavy I heard reports of a 4 to 6 hour wait for the Needles ferry. Another alternate route is to head up to Revelstoke via Hwy 1 and then Hwy 23 to Shelter Bay and take the ferry across the lake there. Either way, it's gonna take a lot longer to get where you're going.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Verminator wrote:The first time they closed Hwy 3, diverted traffic on Hwy 6 was so heavy I heard reports of a 4 to 6 hour wait for the Needles ferry. Another alternate route is to head up to Revelstoke via Hwy 1 and then Hwy 23 to Shelter Bay and take the ferry across the lake there. Either way, it's gonna take a lot longer to get where you're going.

After they opened Osoyoos to Midway it dropped to a one ferry wait. Plus I think being a weekend added to that.

Drive BC is no longer showing any notable ferry delays inland. Also hearing on Facebook they may be bringing in a pilot vehicle to bring traffic through the Paulson area.

Just gonna have to wait and see my best option for tomorrow.

If my biggest worry is a delay in getting home, I consider myself lucky. There are too many people our there right now dealing with the loss of theirs.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

^^Best of luck, I hope things work out for you.

You're right of course, delays and detours are nothing compared to the loses people are dealing with because of the fires. Hopefully the worst is over for them and they'll be back on their feet soon.
Attachments
edited to include this  dashcam screenshot taken on the Paulson bridge yesterday evening
edited to include this dashcam screenshot taken on the Paulson bridge yesterday evening
Last edited by Verminator on Aug 19th, 2015, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Size: 4,013.0 hectares

• 25% contained
The fire size is currently mapped at 4,013 hectares. The larger estimated size of this fire today is due to new growth on the southeast flank of the fire, into the old West Fire. The majority of the fire's growth took place on August 13, but heavy smoke previously limited mapping capabilities.

Over the next few days different aircraft including airtankers will be supporting control lines.

Continued warm and dry temperatures are expected over the next several days. This may cause an increase fire behaviour and growth.

This fire is still producing heavy smoke, which may hinder aircraft operations today.
dogbreath
Board Meister

Post by dogbreath »

Does anyone know if non residents can drive to Beaverdell from Kelowna? DriveBC site indicates you can but I've heard that non residents are being turned around by the McCulloch Lake turn off.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

dogbreath wrote:Does anyone know if non residents can drive to Beaverdell from Kelowna? DriveBC site indicates you can but I've heard that non residents are being turned around by the McCulloch Lake turn off.

That would certainly be pretty crappy since DriveBC has never closed the highway prior to Beaverdell (from my recollection).

I guess they might want to minimize the # of looky-loos that want to get as far up the highway as they can.

Also wanted to add that they've seemed to take own the 50km/h restriction coming into Rock Creek from Osoyoos. I was coming through via Castlegar early afternoon and I didn't see any signs (road crews actually seemed to be removing signage as I drove through).
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Right now is the worst smoke we have had, dont know if it from Rock Crk or Grand Forks but it is thick.
30K east of rock cr.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Washington State fires are pushing smoke into the Okanagan Valley right now.

We're all under it. Their fires are moving with amazing speed. I just saw a video which made my hair curl. Seriously, Hell has been unleashed.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Armageddin outa here.
We're lost but we're making good time.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”