Fire Rant

Fire-related topics

Re: Fire Rant

Postby Drip_Torch » Sep 5th, 2015, 6:06 pm

I am writing that in the context than sometimes no matter what initial action we take fires blow up in the initial stages. What makes a fire spread very rapidly are the hazard conditions leading up to the event and prevailing conditions of that fire at time of ignition, time of day, weather, wind, slope, fuel, access, etc.

I agree 100%; only I would go on to say the most effective time to suppress some fires is between the months of October and April. (if you're a reader wondering which fires I'm talking about, let me be clear: I talking about the fires, that could happen next fire season, in your immediate surroundings.)

Only posting part of the post puts it out of context for most, but I do think I know what you are getting at.

Yeah, sorry... I did remove a little context from your statement, and focused in on the one sentence; it seemed, ugh, for lack of a better word - timely. If you were to review pages 7 and 8 of the 2003 Firestorm Provincial Review - you'll get most of the bullets and yeah, I'm sure you know what I'm getting at.

Incidentally fire history comes from detailed notes made by the Incident Commander,crew bosses and fire fighters on the ground, logs at the zone and district offices, and sometimes thousands of pages of radio logs to do with that particular file. Everything from the IFR (Initial Fire Report) to the last hot spot extinguished and last patrol of the fire. It did not come from someone sitting down at a word processor and hypothesizing about what might have happened. In cases of fires like the Okanagan Mountain fire they are done by an independent review committee who gather every piece of information pertaining to the fire from start to finish

I have a little experience with this to draw on. The largest single (extremely focused and concise) request for information that I've ever done (in BC) - came back with an initial estimate of $50,000.00. I can almost understand that cost estimate, as there are literally tons of information that have to be sifted, but I don't. I see the overall value in having that information out in public as far outweighing the cost to make it available. Sometimes, you'd be surprised what can be learned from a rather benign piece of paper that seems insignificant to most.

To give the uninitiated an idea of the volume of information captured during a significant fire event. "Yarnell Hill", dispatch logs, IFR, notes, field reports, statements and photos; from two days, take up 13.9 gigs. That's not including any of the videos that were captured on state devices, or the notes and photos taken by the police - those are in other folders.

"Thirty Mile", about 14 years ago - 5.6 gigs.

OMP? What was that again? Oh yeah, 11 pages - 387 KB. (I have it filed under the heading - "things that make me go... hmm.")

So, how about it? Want to revisit that topic in a few weeks and we can both share our perspective? I might even draw up an FOI in the interim.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Übergod

Liked in: 1165 posts

Previous

Return to Fire Watch 2015